Hope For Humanity

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
yogi

Hope For Humanity

Post by yogi »

It's a small thing, but the implications are enormous.

I live across from a subdivision of 300 homes where the homeowners pay a monthly fee to have the common grounds maintained. There is a homeowners association to manage it all. Me and three of my neighbors are an island of homes across t he street from that group. We do our own maintenance. However, one of the three neighbors has a truck with a plow blade that he uses to clear the snow from our four driveways. He does this because he is a nice guy and asks for nothing in return.

This past winter I did not have a need to start the snow blower because it didn't snow that much for one, and what did come down was easily cleared with a shovel. Besides, I don't have to do the driveway, only the walk from there to my front door. After what seemed like an interminable winter, the skies turned sunny and the temperatures finally rose above freezing. It stayed that way for ten days or so. During that period of good weather my neighbor removed the blade from his truck and I packed away my snow shovel. Well ... today is snowed 8" overnight.

There was no sign of my neighbor volunteering to clear the snow. Around noon when it all had stopped I was thinking of going out there to clear a path for the cars to get out of the garage. I looked out the window and was shocked. Somebody had come by and hand shoveled the driveway and the walkway. My wife and I stared in amazement. Then I looked up the street and saw four young children with snow shovels. None of them could have been older than twelve. Clearly they were the ones who did the shoveling. I don't know them, nor did they bother to ask if I wanted the snow cleared. They simply did it.

I don't know who they are or where they live but I'd like to meet their parents and congratulate them on doing such a fine job of raising a family. I don't think these four children are going to change the world, but this day they sure did make it a better place to live in for me and my wife. Perhaps there is hope for the future after all.
Icey

Re: Hope For Humanity

Post by Icey »

There certainly is Yogi, and it'd be nice to give those kids a small reward for all their help, but by the sound of how they've been brought up, they probably wouldn't accept anything anyway. It was very kind of them.

Last year, when we had (for us) two lots of pretty deep snow, everyone was out helping those who needed it. Our community spirit in these parts's really good, and a pathway was dug to the local school by people using shovels. Those with people carriers took elderly and isolated residents for doctor's appointments, etc., and still others called in on those who live alone to ask if there was anything they needed from the shops.

All these type of gestures prove that there ARE folk who think about others, and you and your wife must've been very pleased to see this over there as well.
Eight inches of snow overnight?!! Wow!!!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

snow... :think: it's that white stuff, eh?

:tiptoe:

I wonder what would happen around here if we got a good snowstorm? 2 winters ago we had 2" of wet slop on the ground - and the school was empty except for the few who lived within walking distance. and the Canadians.

:lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

:lol:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

on the whole there is no neighbourly unity happening in this village, each and everyone is pretty much managing on their own, however and whenever.

the only one making a huge difference is our resident aussie, who's like big mother hen clucking about. she's fabulous!
Icey

Post by Icey »

You need someone like that. I agree with you that in some places, people keep to themselves. I've found lovely people everywhere, north or south, but in the UK, from the Midlands upwards, folk tend to be generally more friendly, helpful and approachable. Still, I suppose you get what you give. If you have a ready smile for those in your area, and just say something as simple as "good morning", it can lead into conversation and making friends, which in turn leads to helping each other out.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

lol! as an introvert I have great difficulties with the "leading into a conversation" bit. not to mention the "hi! how are you?" "axe handle" effect.

what? :confused: sorry. :lol:

well, this was cautionary tale of my youth, so annoying that it's stuck with me for the 60 years since I was told that.

you see, this guy was hard of hearing, but didn't want people to know about it. so, here he is finishing up an axle handle and someone pops in and asks how he's doing. the man assumed he'd been asked WHAT he was doing, and answered accordingly.

so, moral of the story? pay attention.

yeah, I know.

what this has to do with me is that I try to have to have a conversation, but it usually comes to a quick end after the "bonjour! ça va?". part is dealt with.

:facepalm:
Icey

Post by Icey »

What's the "ca va" bit? How are you/alright?

No, it isn't so easy for introverts to get nattering, but a friendly extrovert'll see that and try and engage you. It doesn't stop introverts from trying to help in the community though. Look at the old boy who works for us. He sometimes ignores folk, out of ignorance or shyness, and yet he'll just get on and do things to help others. He brushes away the thanks, but he has a good heart underneath the gruff exterior.