Show Me

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
yogi

Re: Show Me

Post by yogi »

She is afraid of heights
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Many years ago, they had a place way up north beyond Florissant with professional trampolines.
Although I never heard of anyone reach the height of 40 feet on one, they say it was possible.
If I remember, it was not open to the public as an amusement. They also had trapeze and other pro equipment.
I assume it was for professional or Olympic training?
yogi

Post by yogi »

What i saw at the mall definitely was not Olympic quality. It was strictly to amuse the kids, but I can see how similar apparatus would be appropriate for anyone learning how to master a trampoline. Initially the little ones would bounce on the trampoline but as they jumped higher the tension on the bungie cords was tightened. It didn't take long before their small feet touched the trampoline no more and only the elastic cords kept them aloft. Thus the trampoline was only a platform from which the real action was launched.

It all looked sturdy and time tested, but I could not help thinking that there was an accident waiting to happen in there somewhere.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think those type of things're generally secure, but the harnesses worry me. Couldn't a child tip backwards or forwards and slip out of them?
yogi

Post by yogi »

The child in the picture did flips at the very peak of her jumps. The harness stayed in place. I wasn't close enough to see the details but the harness was secured in three places; once around the waist, and around each leg. I'm guessing that any single one of them failing would not matter much. I thought the trampoline was rather small, but apparently the rig was constructed so that the child stayed well within it's circle. Even if the trampoline was missed on the down stroke, it would not matter because the cords prevented her from touching it's surface in the first place. The only function of the trampoline was to provide a take-off point for the vertical movement. One or two jumps and the trampoline didn't matter any more. The child would never hit the floor even if the trampoline was missing altogether.

I'm sure the proprietor and and their insurance company have it all figured out. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

and yet I get chills seeing them...

:pray:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Me too, and sometimes for good reason. Several amusement park rides've been stopped over here just lately - one just a few days ago, when something fell off it. This was the same ride at Alton Towers that had carriages colliding and causing terrible injuries a few months back. At first, the owners tried to make light of it - it "was just a piece of rubber", but shortly afterwards, the ride was closed down for a complete check of the rails and cars. It only takes something slight ......
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had an amusement ride that always had parts coming loose and falling off. A team of workers had to run through it and tighten all the clamps after each ride. Nobody every got hurt, but the safety commission finally shut them down, as it did not pass the new standards.
It was called the Mad Mouse!
Originally built as a portable roller coaster, but once it was set up permanently they expanded it to more than five times its original travel distance.
The reason it was so popular (back then) was due to the scare factor.
The passengers rode way out in front, far past the front wheels, so you were in mid-air when it reached a turn.
Or in the case of the Mad Mouse, you were riding in seats that were in the Head of the mouse.
This one was at Chain of Rocks Amusement Park. Closed sometime in the 1970s.

My favorite roller coaster was the all wood coaster at the park near the arena, Forest Park Highlands. Closed down in like 1959 or so. My dad paid for the last ride tickets, and we all went, but then during the closing ceremony they ran it one more time for some city officials. This POed one heck of a lot of people, because now that became the last official ride.
Mom and Dad were on the last ride of the Hodiemont Street Car, the last street car in service.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Nice one Gary.

We still have a "Wild Mouse" roller coaster at Blackpool. I've just tried to post a Youtube vid of it, but it wouldn't open. I went on one once, and was terrified. It might not be like the big dippers, but because the small carriage doesn't "bank", you feel as though you're suddenly going to plunge off the edge of the thing. Very scary.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Before I got too olde to have any phun, my brother bought me a most expensive birthday present one year.
Airfare, Hotels, Meals, Shuttle Service, and Tickets to ride on old Wooden Roller Coasters in like a dozen different cities.
It turned out to be more phun than I expected, because I was technically not alone. It was a tour of all Wood Roller Coaster Riders, so we had a riot disrupting everything.
He never would tell me what it cost, but I learned from others in the group who paid in the three grand area for the trip, some a little more and some a little less, it depended on where they had to get to the starting point of the tour from.

The old Wood Coasters don't do the crazy things these modern day rocket coasters do, but have a sound and fell all their own. Even so, some can be quite scary, especially those with a corkscrew or double loops.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Wow, that was some expensive birthday present, but well-received, I'm sure.

Once the old-style roller coaster carriages were pulled up the wooden track, were the following rises and dips caused by the momentum of the thing ... umm ... what's it called? Inertia? Or, what carried them along for the duration of the ride? Come to think of it, does this happen on the rails which rides are built with now?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

frankly... i'd rather not think about them... :eek:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I just sat here and went through five of those videos. Awesome rides!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Today marks the completion of six weeks living in our new world. The temperature at sunrise was 55F - the coldest air I've experienced in all my days here in O'Fallon. I'd have to say we are settled in and enjoying the new environment. Some things never change, however. Yesterday I was completely surprised at a piece of mail we received from a shop in our old neighborhood, Collections Etc. One of the unexpected pleasures here has been not receiving junk mail or robotic phone calls because of our newbie status and not being on a lot of lists, yet. This mail order catalog was what I'd call junk, the kind the post office does not forward. They had the correct address somehow. But, that was not the surprising part. The catalog was addressed to my mom who has been gone for more than eight years now. I am totally flabbergasted.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Obviously records haven't been updated yet, but it was a bit much having something come addressed to your mum. : (

55F's a bit cool, but maybe it's normal for the time of the year? Did it get warmer as the day progressed? It was similar over here actually, but it's going to hit 77-78F again in a few days' time. It's way too hot for my liking.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The norm seems to be a twenty degree differential between day time highs and night time lows. The mid 50's should be expected at the end of September, but we have been spoiled with all the previously warm days and beautiful nights. The temps have consistently been ten or more degrees above normal during the entire six weeks we have lived here. There has been a few days of rain, but nothing drastic.

As far as mom's records go, the problem is they have been updated - incorrectly. Of course the shop's robot mailer doesn't know mom has passed on, but it is smart enough to know mom lived with us and that WE have moved. Mom has not patronized that shop for at least eight years, and I'd be willing to bet it was a lot more than that. The Big Databases and the robots endowed with artificial intelligence are doing a fine job, even if they don't have the facts right. :bleh:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I still get mail for my first wife, even after several moves. Thirty five years after the fact, I still get mail for her. Sorta strange, considering I never get any mail for my late wife of twenty years and did supply a forwarding address when I moved south.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it's like fb asking me to suggest suitable friends for a guy who's been dead for several years. mind you, I think fb has given up on that feature...? or i'm just not paying attention.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Now Farcebook only asks you to suggest friends for those you just made a friend. Like you, I ignore it!