Show Me

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
Icey

Re: Show Me

Post by Icey »

:lol: :thumbu:

Well if anyone knows about these sort of things, I thought you'd come up with something Gary! :razz:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I found my webcam today -- exactly four months to the day since we moved in :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The only web cam I own was installed in the basement to keep an eye on the plants I raised down there. I don't think it has been plugged into the frau's computer now for over 5 years.
I think the laptop has a camera built in, but I have a black piece of tape stuck over it, which I placed on it the day I bought the little toy.
Now the frau on the other hand, all of her devices have cameras, and she makes use of them and posts to Farcebook, hi hi...
I've told her to load them onto her computer first, then convert them to .bmp and then to .jpg to remove the spyware, but she never goes to all that trouble.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My laptop has black electrical tape over the cam but I've not found a way to disable the mic. The desktop cam, with which I took the picture, is standalone. At the moment it is under a Styrofoam coffee cup, and the mic for this rig only gets plugged in when I need it. Now, if I could only disable the cell phones and tablets that easily, I'd be happy. Then again, it won't matter in a few months. We all will be under the looking glass by then. :mrgreen:
Icey

Post by Icey »

I also had a webcam and a stand alone mic on my old computer, but something kept going wrong with it. The pictures came up on the screen, but I'd get no sound, or a bit of sound came through but no pic at all! Naturally, I couldn't fathom it, so I dumped the rubbish webcam and haven't bothered since! : (

Take some more photos Yogi. I like looking at them. : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

hi dennis! good one!

I have a red piece of construction tape over mind, but nobody ever comes here so i'm not bothered with the mic... if they understand finnish, they're welcome to listening to my sister, for she's the only one I ever call, and she pretty much does the talking...

:eek:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Just go into driver settings and turn the mike off, also make sure it is off in the audio volume control area settings.
Did that to the frau's computer, and even though she unchecked the mute button in the audio settings, she still had no working mike.
She also loaded a program and when she went to use it, it said, microphone not found, hi hi...
So I had to go back into driver settings and turn the mike back on for her.
From using her cell phone's voice commands for a few things, she now started using her netbook the same way.
I did learn when you close the lid, it turns off the mike, but don't know if that feature can be hacked or not.
Icey

Post by Icey »

:eek:
yogi

Post by yogi »

My understanding is that cell phones can be used as listening devices even when you power them off. The only sure way to kill it is to remove the battery.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I've heard that, too... so...

holy crap! :bleh:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-turn-your-sma ... 1685355389
Icey

Post by Icey »

:bleh:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it's getting so you can't sit on the toilet in private any more. especially if you bring the phone with you... :rolleyes:
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's going to be worse yet in England where they recently passed the strictest surveillance laws outside of Iran and China. I guess that will prevent terrorism.

https://www.cnet.com/news/snoopers-char ... llance-uk/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Infrared video heat sensors were installed in the school bathrooms where my grandkids go to school.
They claimed this type of video didn't show anything but color blotches, enough so they could tell if someone was smoking in the bathrooms.
But the actual pictures the monitors were viewing on their screens, was far more detailed than those they presented to the parents at PTA meetings to allow the cameras to be installed. When parents got wind of this, the school had to remove all of them, and they installed super sensitive smoke alarm monitors in their place.

I visited one school when I was in town, we went to see a grandkid in a play, every door had video cameras and metal detectors. Seemed useless since very single classroom had tilt in casement style windows. It would be easy for someone to pass a weapon through a window to a student. Plus every fifth window opened outward as a fire exit.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well because there are so many nutcases prowling around, I think it's necessary to equip schools and colleges with up-to-date security measures. It still won't stop every attempt made against the students and staff, but it all helps.

We're used to being spied on in the UK. We have CCTVs everywhere - on buildings, streets, car parks, shops, hospitals, office entrances - you name it. On a day to day basis, you just forget it's there, like the cameras they have on garage forecourts, those attached to posts and scaffolding holding up advertising posters and so on, but I don't know anyone who likes the intrusion. Being able to read everyone's private emails and see their browsing history IS interfering. However, at first, only people suspected of having anything to do with criminal activities'll be targetted, although using key words to spy on possible illegal practices's going to take up a lot of time and resources and someone might just be making an innocent remark or stating a harmless opinion. It's the wider connotation which concerns me. In the future, who's to say that governments won't have the power to "remove" anyone considered socially unsuitable, ill, old or anything else which doesn't suit their agenda?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

and who's watching the watchers....?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes!
yogi

Post by yogi »

In the future, who's to say that governments won't have the power to "remove" anyone considered socially unsuitable, ill, old or anything else which doesn't suit their agenda?

Donald Trump will be assuming that power come January. If you are not white in America these days, be afraid. Be VERY afraid.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I can't deny that what you say could be true Yogi. I don't know what Trump intends to do, but any rational person'd hope that his agenda wasn't as radical as some of you fear. It'd be a mammoth task to ship out anyone who wasn't "white", and a white - looking skin doesn't mean to say that a person's heritage IS white.

The way it comes across over here, isn't so much the colour of someone's skin which Trump's against, but their faith? However, why he has to pick on poor Hispanics, I'll never know. Sure some of them run illegal businesses and might not pay their due taxes. That happens everywhere though.
yogi

Winter Solstice 2016

Post by yogi »

Winter has arrived in Missouri