getting wild flowers

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

getting wild flowers

Post by pilvikki »

yep, perfect day for driving up into the Black mountains for some plants, cloudy with a bit of drizzle. there are so many varieties blooming, you'd not believe it! we saw them last week and decided to grab a shovel and ...well, what I thought was a recycling box. I popped it into the back of the car with a bit of water in its bottom. we drove away and

:yikes: :eek:

it turned out to be a discarded litter box.

it was brutal, but punkin thought it'd stop stinking if we just put the windows down. she was wrong, it didn't get any better until the bottom was well covered in dirt.

driving by I had thought i'd been looking at wild roses, like thousands of little bushes of them, but closer study showed them to be something i'd never met. there was pink heather and these

but the rest i'm lost on and need to take pictures to see if I can find out what i'm looking at.
Icey

Re: getting wild flowers

Post by Icey »

Forget-me-nots? They come in white as well as blue. Don't know what the yellow flowers could be, as they aren't clear enough to get a good close-up. Forget-me-nots DO come in yellow as well, but I don't think that's what you have there. However, check that they aren't highly-poisonous aconite plants.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no, those blooms are about 1.5" across, so not forget me nots.

aconite... i'll go check.

thanks!

looked them up and no, not aconite. and those sure look weird... :eek:
Icey

Post by Icey »

You only have to brush past aconite and you can be poisoned. : (

How about ... speedwell, celandines, dog violets, sweet violets, yellow hairy cat's ear or wild anemones??
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the aconite is like a regional bush here for they're everywhere! not a personal favourite though, I like plants with more substance to them. bigger flowers or more of them.

should it perhaps stop raining in some near future - like tomorrow would be good - i'd plop them all into pots and have michelle come over and identify them. she's good with that.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Fab! Let us know what they might be. They look pretty in the photo.

Winter aconite ( eanthis hyemalis) isn't the highly poisonous one, but the monkshood is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... arden.html
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

rained most of the day, so never got around to the plants. but you know... it's a good job you mentioned the poisonous plant - i'm so used to know ing what i'm doing that it never crossed my mind that I might be meddling with some deadly varieties. I will definitely check them out and hopefully they've not drowned out there in the bucket....
Icey

Post by Icey »

If you're still alive and kicking, your meddling hasn't caused any harm. : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

there's that... :lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

LOL!

Discovered anything yet?
Icey

Post by Icey »

No??? I'd forgotten about this post until I saw it just lying there where I'd left it.