The Beast Is US!

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

The Beast Is US!

Post by brandtrn »

Another take on Trump supporters. WHY is it that so many of these redneck haters making the news these days hail from my adopted "home" state of Indiana?!?!? Yes, I KNOW that this state is just CRAWLING with low-life redneck trash like this...and since these haters don't have the good sense to be ashamed of themselves and of their bad behavior, I'm ashamed FOR them! And for me, too, because I certainly DO NOT, simply because I happen to live here, want to be even remotely grouped in and identified with people like THIS!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/opini ... share&_r=0
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
yogi

Re: The Beast Is US!

Post by yogi »

"Be careful what you wish for" is how I can summarize this not so new news story. I don't know when it started exactly, but the politics in this country has changed this century. There always has been competition between the parties, but after the election rhetoric was over, a general atmosphere of collaboration would settle in and all three branches of the government would more or less cooperate. Hints of the change became obvious when Bush broke tradition and initiated a preemptive attack against Iraq. No, it wasn't all about oil. John Bohner, the ex-Speaker of the House announced early on that his (Republican) mission was solely and exclusively to "get Obama." Accusations of racism were discounted as Democrat propaganda. Really now? How do you explain Trump's success if racism and culture wars are not embedded into the party's psyche?

The Republican party has become obsolete in spite of the Tea Party. People are sick of "business as usual" politics, and that is why Trump is so popular. He is promising to uproot the old school politics that has worked so well for hundreds of years. It may indeed be a reflection of how many people feel, but it's no way to run the most powerful nation on earth. The Republican party doesn't endorse the extremism Trump represents, but it is powerless against the avalanche it started somewhere at the end of last century. Trump is the wake up call. Is he REALLY what conservatives wish for?