Global Warming, Again

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Re: Global Warming, Again

Post by Icey »

The mind boggles!

I'm sorry to hear about Larry as well. It's not safe anywhere is it?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

He was lucky, no serious damage, basically only a flesh wound.

When I was prez of PWP, you wouldn't believe some of the stories on how a few members became widows or widowers.

Someone tried to commit suicide and landed on her husband who was walking down the sidewalk.
A broken window pane fell from like the 20th floor and speared one fellows wife, cutting through her jaw, shoulder, and went as deep as her heart. A severed main artery was the cause of death.
A crane fell over on another and crushed them. This same thing happened to a cousin of mine too.
One fellows wife only fell 8 inches, overstepped the only step down from their back porch, but hit the ground in such a way it snapped her neck.

I'm very lucky my current wife was not killed the night we arrived home from our honeymoon.
She stepped on a wet plank and slid falling backwards. The back of her head missed the concrete stoop by less than an inch, and did grab her hair on the way down. Her head missed the plank and hit grass, else she would have had a concussion. Later that night is when a tornado twisted the neighbors tree off, lifted it and tossed it across the power lines, pulling our meter basin off the house. No strange thing happened after that though, knock on simulated wood grain.
Icey

Post by Icey »

*Knock on simulated wood grain.* Oh LOL, but yes, your wife was very lucky that her mishap wasn't a lot worse.

We're very careful to keep steps free of ice and debris, and some of them've also been lowered. The old stone ones were particularly hazardous in wet or bad weather, and going back some years, the area wasn't particularly well lit.

It doesn't take much to have an accident though. A friend of ours was at a barbecue, and stepped back into a rut on the lawn. It was only about an inch deep, but enough to unbalance him. He went down before he could save himself, and DID hurt his head, even though he hit the grass. If he'd fallen onto concrete .... shudder.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Working on demolition and construction sites, we all learn to shuffle our feet along, rather than step.
As we were finishing up one building, the owner of a landscaping company came by to survey the area.
One of his pet peeves had to do with shuffling along rather than walking. Understandable in his industry.
He had a couple of large dumptrucks of mulch delivered and dumped up next to the building, which his crew partially spread out. He did this before we were done policing the area for scraps.

One of the construction workers shuffled through the mulch to pick up some debris, and this landscaper dude jumped all over him. "Can't you see this mulch was just leveled, and you're making furrows in it.
You should pick up your feet and walk like this on the mulch!"
No sooner than the owner did that, his foot came down on a board hidden under the mulch with a medium size nail.
The employee he just chewed out had to hold back a laugh, but got his dig in. "Now you know WHY we shuffle our feet!"
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh dear! I shouldn't, but .... :lol:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I ran across an article that made me think it's time to add to my Global Warming Awareness campaign. :mrgreen:
Just this week, scientists reported that the Arctic had its second-warmest year – behind 2016 – with the lowest sea ice ever recorded. The announcement came at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union, and the report is topped with an alarming headline: “Arctic shows no sign of returning to reliably frozen region of recent past decades.”

Changes in the Arctic extend beyond sea ice. Vast expanses of former permafrost have been reduced to mud. Nonnative species of plants, types that only grow in warmer climates, are spreading into what used to be the tundra. Nowhere is this greening of the Arctic happening faster than the North Slope of Alaska, observable with high-resolution clarity on NOAA satellite imagery.

“The current observed rate of sea ice decline and warming temperatures are higher than at any other time in the last 1,500 years, and likely longer than that,” the NOAA report says.
The article is about Barrow, Alaska – the northernmost city in the United States. It's a major monitoring station for NOAA with some unusual activity. It seems to be warming so quickly that the global network of computers which track weather rejected it as fake news (where have I heard that term before?). There are algorithms in the programming to weed out unreal data so that the overall database can retain its integrity. After some careful examination, it was determined that Barrow is doing exactly what it reported. It was placed back into the database and the algorithm was enhanced.

https://flipboard.com/topic/climate/thi ... erpost.com
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I would hope the earth is warming up, since we are still on the downhill side of our current ice age.
When it stops warming up, we will be moving into the next ice age.
For some strange reason, poly-TICK-ians are wanting to usher in the next ice age as fast as possible.