Global Warming, Again

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Global Warming, Again

Post by yogi »

Will I ever shut up with my rants about Global Warming and how we are contributing to it?

No ... not as long as NASA keeps providing such pretty pictures depicting it.

http://nasa.tumblr.com/post/13769839716 ... es-in-2015
Icey

Re: Global Warming, Again

Post by Icey »

*That means that specific regions or areas could have experienced colder weather than usual ..."

Too right! No one can say it's been hot where I live. We had maybe 5-6 days of really decent summer weather (more down south). The rest of the days were blighted by wind or rain. The poor old UK's been waterlogged, and yes, the earth MAY be going through a natural cycle, but I blame a lot of it on man-made emissions.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We are still in the Ice Age, on the downhill side, and before the next Ice Age.
Because of that, it is expected to get warmer before it starts cooling again.

Just like you expect the hour hand of the clock to move downhill after 12 noon and start moving uphill again after 6 pm.
No amount of taxes, fines, restrictions, or anything else is going to change the earths natural cycles.
Unless of course we blow the planet up!
Icey

Post by Icey »

You could well be right Gary, but you have to admit that man's not doing this poor old planet any favours. We spew toxins into the air, on the land, into the oceans. The acid rain kills plants and trees, and this's caused by compounds like sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides which're released into the air. The main source if sulphur dioxide ( 99% ) comes from human sources. The main source of sulfur dioxide in the air's due to industrial activity that processes things which have sulphur in them - coal, oil, etc.

Nitrous oxide, while occurring naturally, is frequently man made as well. It's used in the dairy industry as a mixing and foaming agent, in motor sports to speed engines up and by deep sea divers to avoid nitrogen narcosis.

It's released naturally from soils and water bodies as part of the microbial processes of nitrification and de-nitrification. The two major man-made sources're from agriculture (application of fertilisers to soils - and subsequent leaching to water bodies) and the manufacture of acids and nylon. It is also released from power stations and road transport, so these're just a few examples of what we're creating and not really understanding the long-term harm it's doing; or rather, not caring.

Add these to a myriad of chemicals which're released, and you can see why everything's going topsy turvy, particularly when it comes to weather patterns. Then we have nuclear tests being carried out. These're bound to shift the earth's plates, and although they move naturally, it's a possible reason for tsunamis, earthquakes and eruptions.

If we're simply in one of nature's cycles, we're doing nothing to help matters.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Some people seem to know what ended the last Ice Age (hint: it's initials are CO2) and are more than a bit concerned about what is going on these days.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new ... 77/?no-ist
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I agree that we should not be polluting our atmosphere, after all, we do have to breath, hi hi...

Some good things have come about by the government restricting emissions.
But long before they were caught up in their Scams, they did much more harm than good, only to line their pockets, and gain more controls over the people, through laws, licenses, fines, and higher taxes.

I've given many examples before, so won't reiterate on them, other than to remind you of what they were, not how they caused the excessive new problems. Air pumps added to cars to FOOL emission testing equipment. The sudden BAN of fluorocarbons in aerosol containers, which caused excessive ground level ozone, and how they changed the measurements to make it only appear their scam was successful.

Carbon is the lowest common denominator of all things organic, and some things which are inorganic.
Yet our government is looking for ways to create laws, licenses, fines, and higher taxes, over something they have zero control over. But through propaganda and political brainwashing will make people think they can control the rate of decay of organics into carbon. You've already heard talk of a Carbon Footprint and other such nonsense vomit out of Washington.
No amount of legislation or taxation or fines, is going to slow the result of decay!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Fluorocarbons is a subject I'm very interested in. I won't have any aerosols in my house which might use such propellants. From paragraph 5 ....

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/04/teflons ... y_partner/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've preached for years about the dangers of Teflon.
It was BANNED and no one was supposed to have any left for sale at the beginning of 2015.
Trouble is, no law enforcement agency exists to get it off the store shelves, so Teflon sales are still going strong.

I've seen beautiful exotic birds die a horrible death from breathing the fumes from Teflon. Lost one myself due to Teflon used in an electric heater which did not disclose the heating plates had Teflon on them. What makes it worse is it was sold as a Teflon Free item.

Mother Nature could not catch up with the SUDDEN BAN on the use of Freon as an aerosol propellant.
It's another case of false propaganda by government, to create new laws, require licenses, impose fines, raise taxes, and force the price of a product much higher than it ever should be.

Every Ham Radio Operator around the world knows full-well the cycles of our Ozone Layer. It is one the most used layers to bounce certain radio frequency signals around the globe.
The Ozone Layer follows a thirteen year cycle, always has, and always will.
None of our Belts have changed in all of recorded history, outside of their normal cycles.

And herein lies the problem. Poly-TICK-ians run on 2 and 4 year cycles.
Their only goal is to add more money to their pockets by enacting more restrictions and raising taxes on the people.

The Ozone Scare was one of the biggest hoaxes which is still perpetrated today. None of the laws created concerning this hoax have ever been rescinded.
The Poly-TICK-ians patted themselves on the back that they did good, as the Ozone Layer naturally cycled into its thicker season. Then the Poly-TICK-ians became eerily silent when it crossed the peak and began thinning again.
Of course by then, the Poly-TICK-ians had changed twice, except for the dinosaurs who remain forever, totally oblivious to the world around them.

What the Poly-TICK-ians did manage to do was create EXCESSIVE ground level Ozone. Cities even erected signs over the highways to show the levels of Ozone, and most of these in large cities stayed in the RED and Orange danger levels.
Did the Ozone get better? NO IT DID NOT!
The Poly-TICK-ians decided to CHANGE the SCALE, so what used to show as Red, now showed as Yellow.
Along with this change, they waited a few months then patted themselves on their back again, saying they did good and the results were evident. WERE THEY? Not to anyone who read the actual numbers showing the Ozone concentration.
BUT, the Poly-TICK-ians fooled everyone who only went by the signs over the road showing YELLOW instead of RED.

It took Mother Nature 50 years of slow but steady Freon use to bring herself into balance.
It will take Mother Nature 50 years of slow but steady change to counteract the SUDDEN BAN on Freon placed by Poly-TICK-ians. Mother Nature is slow to act, but usually certain in her methods.

Almost every problem we encounter can be placed back on the shoulders of the Poly-TICK-ians who created it!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Gary.

I agree with you. A country has to be run by SOMEONE, but the politicians we get today don't seem able to sort out the major problems which, thanks partly to them, they've created.

As an aside, it's now being considered to make elderly people pay for their TV licences over here. Anyone reaching 75 can apply to get a free one, saving them $208. 91 a year out of their pensions. If this goes through, many retired people in the age bracket'll have to forfeit perhaps their only pleasure in life - watching TV - because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. The majority of them've paid taxes all their lives, and a few of the eldest've even fought for their country, but in their latter years, it seems as though the government consider the saving to be justifiable. It's NOT. They used our money unwisely, and squandered millions on useless projects and in bailing out the equally-useless banks. Would most "normal" people invest unwisely? Of course not, but it's OK when our taxes're now the government's money, to do with as they see fit.

Now it looks as though we're going to receive thousands of lone children from Syria and surrounding areas. It's terrible that they might have no parents, or parents who've had to risk sending them away for safety, but how the heck are we going to afford foster parents for them until they can be reunited with their own? Social Services say it costs thousands to feed, house and educate just ONE child, but we're looking at a starting point of 3000 of them coming in! Then any remaining family'll follow, and we're expected to see them housed and catered for .

These "children" aren't always the innocents they claim to be, either. Yesterday, the papers announced that a 15 year old Syrian boy stabbed a British person to death for no apparent reason. He's in custody, being fed and looked after "properly" before his case goes to court. The little heathen should've been deported immediately, or given immediate life in a young offender's institution before being transferred to jail, but oh no. He'll get a proper trial, and then welfare workers'll try and "reach out to him". The system's potty!
Last edited by Icey on 01 Feb 2016, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya Icey!

Just heard from my sister, one of the cousins from her husbands side of the family got married and went to Paris for their honeymoon. They don't have the details yet, but he was allegedly beheaded and she is still missing after being drug away by a mob. Her husband does not know the family although they are supposed to be related. He says they are too many generations away or across lines to truly be related. Even so, it is a horrible thing to happen, if the report is accurate.
Icey

Post by Icey »

BH Gary!!!! Excuse my language! I haven't heard anything on our news about such a terrible event happening, but I'll let you know if we do. Our media's constantly full of reports from Paris and other places in the EU, so if there's anything in it, we'll hear about it soon enough - sometimes minutes after things've occurred.

If this's so, we'll all know about it, and if this's true, I'm so very sorry for your family. It's dreadful.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Maybe you should use a different news source Icey?

Here is a simple Google Search, which fills pages, from only 3 days ago.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Paris+Beheading

And these are only the ones which did make the news!
Icey

Post by Icey »

It seems that these beheadings were carried out before the perpetrators moved to Paris Gary. No one's been able to say exactly where the supposed atrocities happened, but it's not thought to be in France.

When a European or American citizen's seized by one of these groups, the media get to know about it very quickly - often because the terrorists broadcast it on their websites and in IS papers, which're monitored in both of our countries.

It's doubtful if your relative was included in one of these beheadings - thankfully - as the "prisoners're" named, to bring fear to their countries of origin.

Had one of yours been included in their vile practices, the US and the UK would've got to know about it very quickly. A lot of the videos which pop up're for propaganda purposes, but these groups like to brag about who they've killed, and naming them just makes everything seem more genuine. Up to date, the UK and US citizens who've been murdered've all been named, including those blown up by suicide bombers or where bombs and attacks've happened.

I hope that this's the case with your relative, who might've gone AWOL for other reasons. If he'd fallen foul of a terrorist group, there'd be no western witnesses to report on it. If he lived in Paris and happened to've got caught up in an attack, his name would've been in the papers. Until you see that proof, you can assume that the story's wrong somewhere.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have not heard back yet, so don't know any more than what they suspected at the time they sent the e-mails.
Icey

Post by Icey »

It's understandable that if you're visiting a country where terrorist incidents've occurred, and you're close to where one happens, that if someone can't be accounted for, your worst fears spring to mind.

I feel absolutely sure that your relative's safe somewhere. Even hostages're named. If someone disappeared, or was seen to be dragged away by a mob, the incident'd be reported to the police. The Parisian security forces are very strong right now, and're doing their best to make visitors feel as safe as possible.

When an outrage occurs, the authorites're quick to compile names of anyone injured or killed, and'll check against missing persons who'll presumably've been reported as such. Their reputation and tourist industry relies on them not only protecting their own, but others as well, and I have to say, that for once, the French're taking things very seriously.

I don't know if your relative wandered the streets on their own and got lost (easy to do)? If so, they've hopefully been reunited with their loved one by now. A search would've commenced, and if there was nothing after a day or two, this'd make the news.

If someone'd witnessed a person being beheaded, this would've also made headline news, but isis usually do this in a designated area away from others so that their positions can't be located easily, and they often parade their victims for propaganda purposes first - often forcing their hostages to make video confessions to something they didn't do.

Was this marriage a mixed-race one? Women who're snatched are usually either stoned to death or shot, or occasionally, they'll be used as jihadi brides. Something sounds odd here, especially with there being no news about anything like that, and if mobs arrive on the scene, witnesses can panic and get the facts mixed up. Let's hope that all turns out well.

Something doesn't sound right
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm sad to report the story was true, although the first account I received was slightly exaggerated after passing through a chain of several relatives down to my sister.

To start with, they were honeymooning in London, not Paris, although their honeymoon tour included Paris.

On the day he was killed, their itinerary took them by train from London Charing Cross to Dover Priory Station.
From there they took a Taxi to the Dover Eastern Docks, where they boarded a Ferry which took them to Calais Ferry Terminal. It is unknown which Ferry they took, but assumed not to be The Spirit of Britain, which was attacked by rioters.

Had he not been killed, they would have taken a Train to Boulogne Ville, Etaples/Le Touquet, Amiens, which would end at Paris Gare de Noro. I apologize if I got any of the spellings wrong.

While walking to Calais Ville Station to board the train, they were met by a hoard of hundreds of rioters, who we now know were headed to The Spirit of Britain Ferry. Most of them passed without incident, until a second group of migrants from another direction crossed their path and fighting broke out.

The small group walking to the train station crossed the street to avoid the fight, when some migrants gave them a short chase. A sign carried by one of the picketers was wrestled from them by a migrant who joined his friends running after those on the way to the train.
He swung the sign at one of those were walking, but stopped to block their path, and after striking that person, it flew from his hands and sliced the neck of Chris's distant cousin, which caused the crowd to run away from those headed for the train.
He was DOA of a severe neck wound at Centre Hospitalier de Calais.

His wife was not abducted, and did not see her husband killed. When the chase began, the older men ran the women down an alleyway and a few stood guard, hoping they would pass or turn around. The younger men stayed on the sidewalk to fend off their attackers. Two others were injured during this attack.

It is doubtful this incident would be considered as important as the attack on The Spirit of Britain Ferry, although it was the same group of rioters who caused the injuries and death of a vacationer. To announce such an incident may hurt tourism, so was probably hushed up if known by the news media.

The reason she was reported abducted was because she was not with the group who arrived at the train station, and she was not with those who were taken to the hospital. She took a Taxi to the wrong hospital first, and from there went to the wrong police station next. She is still in Calais waiting for her husbands parents to arrive to help handle the situation and make arrangements for their son. Nothing was said about her parents in the message.

My sister's husband is now trying to find out where in his family tree they are located, because he did not know them.

Sad, very sad.
Icey

Post by Icey »

It's one of the saddest things I've ever read about. I'm so sorry Gary.

I know that these rioters caused mayhem, and it took several hours to make sure that no immigrants were hiding on the ferry, but when it was deemed safe, all was cleared for ordinary people to board.

The US embassy should be helping your relative by now.

A UK truck driver was feared killed after immigrants leapt onto lorries, but we've had no reports of any definite deaths. If your account holds true, we'll be hearing about it very soon. The French and UK border controls and the police, share information as soon as it comes in, good or bad. We know exactly who might've been injured or died, wherever they come from, but as yet - nothing to report about any US citizen being involved.

Again, if this's correct, my sincere condolences.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If I do learn anything more, I will pass it on here.
The way things work, if over there like they do here, it would be classified as an accidental death, by an unknown person, and considered impossible to determine who caused the death.
With the amount of details sent to my sister, much more detailed than I posted here. It sounds to me as accurate. She even included things in her message such as the type of tickets they purchased to save money. One thing she mentioned, it was cheaper to buy a round-trip Calais Day Tripper ticket and use it for one way, then discard the ticket and buy a new one for their return trip via a different route. Looks like it took them to an area they didn't need to be in at the time though.
I understand because I've done similar things to save money myself.
For example: When I needed to go back home to St. Louis for an emergency. An airline ticket from Knoxville to St. Louis was over a thousand dollars. Even my cousin, who is a commercial pilot would fly to Nashville and drive to Knoxville to save the high cost of flying here.
I bought an 89 dollar round-trip ticket to Florida, it cost 20 bucks less than a one-way ticket to a different airport. Took a Taxi to the other airport for 35 bucks and bought a round-trip ticket to St. Louis for like 250 bucks. My total cost to get to St. Louis came to around 375 dollars, instead of over a thousand dollars, and only put me 2 hours later. The cost to get back home to Knoxville would have only been 35 dollars, for the Cab in Florida between airports. But we could opt to fly to Nashville instead on the same airline going to Florida with our ticket. It did mean we would have to rent a car one-way to get back to Knoxville, but we managed to get a direct non-stop bus ride for only 45 bucks. So we discarded our round-trip Florida to Knoxville ticket.
In retrospect, we should have flown to Florida then home, because the bus drove us nuts. Debi's niece picked us up at the bus terminal, which saved the cost of a cab to our house.
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're right about how the tickets work Gary. You can save a lot by being careful and shopping around.

I don't dispute what might've happened to your poor relative, but it still sounds weird, since the death of (particularly) a tourist makes headline news, whether by accident or not. We receive news from France just as often as we get our own, so we'd have expected to've seen something appertaining to his demise. We even get things from much further afield - e.g. "Briton/US John Smith dies of heart failure while on holiday in Oz" - so you get the idea, but all this's tragic news for you and you family, and I hope that you manage to find out more, as and when. It really is shocking. : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My cousin Larry was stabbed just below his left ribs while in Brussels for some national event, probably the Olympics.
Even he did not see who did it, as it was someone behind him.
Probably a small knife, as the wound was less than 4 inches deep.
He talked to the police while at the hospital, and they determined it had to do with the writing and/or logo on his jacket.
That was the end of it, not even a mention in the newspaper. He was also not billed for the medical services provided.
The more he thought about it, and what the police said, it could not be the reason. His jacket was tied around his waist using the arms as a tie, and the writing or logo would have been hidden from view with it worn in that fashion.
We talked about it a few times, and he don't know if he was singled out, or if he was mistaken for someone else, or even if it was done on purpose. Some of those around him wore some mighty strange clothes, like we would call Goth today.
I will say this, he has avoided any place with large crowds ever since. Also lost his interest in the Olympics.
Probably much in the same way my cousin and I lost our interest in Nascar, after they called a race in the middle and declared a winner. Neither of us have went to any Nascar event, or even watched it on TV since then.
Prior to that time, we had attended every Indy 500 from when we were only 14 and 15 years old, plus several other major races.
Can you imagine calling the Kentucky Derby in the middle and declaring a winner? It would cause a riot of biblical proportions. But Nascar felt they could get by with it without repercussions. They lost one heck of a lot of fans, but not enough to hurt their wallets none.