Defrosting The North Pole

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Defrosting The North Pole

Post by yogi »

We in the Midwestern United States experienced a storm from hell yesterday. It produced ice, rain, snow, sleet, and high winds for most of the day. The temperatures hovered around freezing for most of the event. States to the south of us are literally drowning from all the rain they are getting. As often happens storms like this move east and north, as will happen with this one. The center of it will be over Iceland on Wednesday, 30 December.

Up to that point everything is typical, but this storm is not typical in any respect. It's altering the jet stream and pumping a lot of hot air up north of the Arctic Circle. In fact it will be above freezing on this date for only the second time in modern history. Considering that there has been no sunshine on the north pole for more than three months now, this storm that will produce temperatures more than 50F above the norm there is unprecedented. It's easy to point to El Niño as the culprit, but that does not explain the breaking of the jet stream flow. Something else very dire is happening and it looks like us humans are causing it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch ... ge/422166/
Icey

Re: Defrosting The North Pole

Post by Icey »

Goodness, Yogi, your weather sounds dire indeed, and I agree with you that humans aren't helping the situation, despite nature playing its part.

It's also appalling weather over here, but the south's escaping it at the moment. We've been told that snow could be here within a couple of days, certainly further north and in Scotland, but we're still being deluged with rain, and since yesterday, we've been caught up in storm Frank, with massive winds. We had a large refuse bin crash against the side of our house earlier on. This's a big heavy thing, on an industrial level, but it smashed against the wall and sounded like the roof was collapsing. We had maintenance people out to secure what they could, for fear of damage or someone getting hurt, but I can guarantee that in the light of day we'll see fences and gates down. Still, it seems nothing in comparison to the thousands who've had their homes and business premises wrecked by the flooding.

Tadcaster bridge collapsed a few hours ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35195153

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35193682

I don't know what the damage's like over there, but as you can see by the above videos, it's just dreadful for people over here who've been caught up in the dreadful mess.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Hard to believe as it may be, local damage is insignificant compared to the damage done to global weather patterns. The article was not clear about how the human activity contribution was determined, but such is the nature of news reports. One thing is perfectly clear. The warm air being pumped onto the north pole is evidence of a broken system.
Icey

Post by Icey »

It is, yes.

Meanwhile though, yourselves, us and others have to put up with the backlash of unprecedented abnormality in weather patterns. I don't think that firing missiles into the sky and underwater nuclear testing helps matters, especially the latter, which no doubt shifts the tectonic plates and does something horrible to the earth in general. A slight tilt or a movement within the earth's core, and I'm sure it can effect pressure changes and the rest of it, resulting in catastrophes.