Anti-Cancer Antioxidants

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Anti-Cancer Antioxidants

Post by yogi »

We all know that antioxidants help prevent cancer, right? That has been the thinking for many years. Recent research, however, points in the direction of cancer cells benefiting from antioxidants. The moral of this story is that if you are taking supplements to increase your body's Antioxidants, you would be wise to cease and desist.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/10/how_ant ... e_partner/
Icey

Re: Anti-Cancer Antioxidants

Post by Icey »

That's interesting Yogi.

I've never been a believer in taking supplements of any kind, unless prescribed for people with certain conditions where supposedly beneficial food can't be taken. It's been known for a while that whilst studies've shown that dietary supplementation with extra antioxidants reduces the risk of developing cancer, at least one study demonstrated an increased risk of lung cancer in male smokers who took antioxidants, versus male smokers who didn't supplement.

Taking an excess of vitamin A can be harmful. The vitamin has very little antioxidant properties, and found not only in dairy foods but in meat, fish and plants as well. The most common type of provitamin A in foods and dietary supplements is beta-carotene. These're pushed as being very good for you, but if you eat foodstuff which contains it anyway, such as in green leafy veg, dark fruits, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc., extra supplements of it can be lethal.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I think we're talking those megadoses of 10 000 µ of this and that, not the normal quantities. years ago, I got into supplements and found the difference in my alertness and energy levels drastic - because I wasn't eating properly.

i'm also always short of folic acid for some reason, even though I eat plenty meat...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

another thing:

every damned study appears to contradict the previous study I read.

why is that???
Icey

Post by Icey »

They DO seem to change their minds, don't they, but actually, if you want folic acid, you'll get that from plenty of leafy green veg, such as spinach, broccoli, asparagus, etc. You can also find it in some fruits, like grapes and papayas.
Folic acid isn't the same B vitamin as you get in meat. You get B12 I think, but folic acid's B9.

Some folk swear by vitamin and mineral supplements, but there's no need for it in the normal way, if you have a good balanced diet.