Professional Psychopaths

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Professional Psychopaths

Post by yogi »

Apparently a psychopath is not necessarily what you think it is.
Psychopathy is a personality disorder that has been variously described as characterized by shallow emotions (in particular reduced fear), stress tolerance, lacking empathy, coldheartedness, lacking guilt, egocentricity, superficial character, manipulativeness, irresponsibility, impulsivity and antisocial behaviors such as parasitic lifestyle and criminality.
Scary as it seems, I know a few people like that.

What profession do you suppose has the most and the least psychopaths in their rankS? You might be surprised to see the list - then again, you might not.

PSYCHO PRO: http://time.com/32647/which-professions ... he-fewest/
Icey

Re: Professional Psychopaths

Post by Icey »

The lawyer and salesperson made me smile. I think those're obvious in a lot of cases, but yes, the list surprised me, especially as a psychopath's supposedly irresponsible. You wouldn't expect that trait in a surgeon, for instance, would you, and yet, when you think about it, perhaps a majority of those who hold down jobs where they can wield power might develop psychopathic tendencies. Politicians spring to mind! : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i'm pretty sure I've met a couple of doctors who made that list... ditto teachers....

and soooo many others. lol!
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you. Psychopathic teachers seems in particular abundance, but it seems to be a trait in lots of people who wield, or think they do, power over others.