Snow in the Desert

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Snow in the Desert

Post by yogi »

15" of snow fell on the Sahara Desert recently. You might think this has nothing to do with global warming, but then you would be laboring under a false impression. Looks like Al Gore was right, so says the article.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/25524/al ... oseph-curl

https://earther.com/it-snowed-in-the-sa ... 1821884950
pilvikki

Re: Snow in the Desert

Post by pilvikki »

how very bizarre... here we've seen temperatures up to 18°C (aka 64F) until a few days ago when it dropped by 10 degrees. and we're way north of the sahara.

this is not good, not good at all.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess the temperature swings in any desert are extreme due to the inability of the sand to hold heat very long. But the depth of snow in the Sahara is alarming on many levels. I'm also astonished at what is happening on the coasts of our own country. Just a few weeks ago it was so dry out in California that half the state burned to the ground. The news yesterday was about the death from mud slides which were caused by run away downpourings of rain. Very bizarre indeed.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the earth's gone bi-polar....
yogi

Post by yogi »

lol - the earth always has been bipolar, but now the weather has turned manic as well.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

just watched a bit of BBC and they said they cannot stress strong enough people needing to stay the hell home as they're expecting a huge dump of snow on top of what they're already fighting with. yep, good luck, guys!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Back in '67 (when I was 50 years younger) there was a record breaking snow that fell upon Chicago. It's the only time in history the city was shut down completely. Streets literally were tunnels through the banked snow from the plows and side walks were impassible in most cases. This went on for nearly a month. There was no place to put the damned snow. I did not miss a day of work and felt no trepidation about driving in that mess. Ahhhh ... to be young again.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you probably know about buffalo and its snow loads. well, occasionally it misses buffalo and hello toronto!

some years ago hubby and i were up at the house a couple of hours north of toronto and it was time to head south into the city where we had an apartment. it was a clear, sunny day, with about 6" of snow on the ground.

listening to the radio we then find out its a total nightmare in toronto, most streets impassable. really? who knew. we're driving and about an hour south we see fields with a bit of dusting of white. where IS this alledged snow then?

we found it all, right about the time we hit the city limits. same thing as your chicago: our street had deep ruts in the middle and the bungalow type houses either side were invisible behind the snowbanks.

they called the army in to dump the snow into lake ontario.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Oh yes, I know about Buffalo. It's the dumping ground for lake effect snow contributed by all five of the Great Lakes. Something like the Toronto effect frequently happens here too. We see how bad the weather is in the city of St Louis, and how traffic is grid locked, but there is barely a disturbance twenty miles out where I live. I've also seen big storms coming in our direction. By the time they get here it splits into two pieces, one going east and the other going west. Being the the middle we miss most if not all of it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

interesting. grandma's cottage is between 2 lakes and the storms generally circle both. but look out if it takes the short cut across, you're really in for it!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I get the effects large bodies of water can have on weather patterns. But, we don't have anything significant around here. It's all pretty fascinating, if you are the kind of guy that likes to watch weather radar maps. LOL
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

We have been getting to 0° C and drifted occasionally to negatives here in the old Anahuac for the last 5 weeks... North Equatorial Atlantic Current has been weak so far this winter... Wonder its child, the Gulf current has been behaving...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I read that it's due to sun spot activity which is currently very low to non-existent