Flawed Democracy

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Flawed Democracy

Post by yogi »

What does Japan, Italy, France, South Korea, Israel, Estonia, India, and Chile have in common withe the United States of America? They are all countries considered to be "flawed democracies" according to the Economist Intelligence Unit in its 2016 "Democracy Index" report. The US was demoted this year after it's Democracy Index fell below the benchmark of 8.0. The lower rating is due to a declining confidence in their government institutions, a trend that US citizens have been showing since the '50's. The election of Donald Trump is considered to be a result and not a cause of the decline. The linked article is an interesting read and confirms most of what has been speculated ever since the British Brexit became a reality. People are feeling disenfranchised, and something has to change.

http://www.businessinsider.com/economis ... acy-2017-1
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Flawed Democracy

Post by Kellemora »

Sorta interesting. I'm sure Trump will turn things around!
Nevertheless, based on the EIU criteria, the US will ALWAYS BE a Flawed Democracy, because we are NOT a Democracy, we are a REPUBLIC. Good thing too!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've seen the argument about democracy vs republic before and still wonder why there is a question in anybody's mind. We live in a republic with a constitution that protects all the people. The people governing and enforcing the constitution are elected through a democratic process. Does it matter if you label the system one way or another? Apparently it does to the semantics police. There are very few people who can tell you the difference between a republic and a democracy, but everybody knows what goes on in The United States of America. Splitting hairs doesn't advance the general understanding of the terms.

The article points out how people have become disenchanted with the system of governance in America. It's the nitty gritty of the democracy that is being called flawed. People are not participating because of their disenchantment. If change is to come about, what sovereignty is it that enables the change? The democratic one or the one(s) governing the republic? Wrong question in my point of view.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If this was a Democracy, California, New York, and a couple other states would control what happens in the other 46 states.
We are a Republic to prevent such from taking place.

I just hope Trump can turn the country around and get us out of the mess Obama has put us into.