Wearable Computers

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Wearable Computers

Post by yogi »

We've heard about these things for a few years now, and by the end of April (2015) we should be able to buy a wearable computer from Apple. Who else? The immediate question is, "Why would I want a gimmick like this?"

It turns out that engineers at Apple have been asking this same question for many years, and now they think they have a marketable answer. The wrist computer will free you from being a slave to technology, and it will do it with style. The linked article is a bit of a read but it explains what this computer watch is all about, and it's fascinating in it's implications. If you still are lamenting how mobile devices are doing away with the need for laptops, then you are in for a shock when you read about the watch. It is destined to be a fashion statement along with all the other bells and whistles it has replaced with taps and vibrations. And, you will be able to get one for as low as $375, or as high as $17,000 depending on the size of the statement you want to make.

Is this the game changing wave of the future? Apple thinks so. http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch
Icey

Re: Wearable Computers

Post by Icey »

I've read about these watches, and I think a lot'll be sold - if only so as people can show off their latest "toy", but personally, I wouldn't want something emitting radio waves in such close contact with my skin.

http://www.rfsafe.com/simultaneous-rati ... on-limits/
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

there will eventually be underwater computers..
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

And Google will want everyone's websites Wristwatch Friendly, hi hi...
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

this is going too far..
Icey

Post by Icey »

They can keep it as far as I'm concerned. We managed without all this stuff before, and could do again. New technology's spoilt people. It can be very handy, admittedly, but a lot of it's unnecessary.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm sure glad my kids were grown before all this expensive useless garbage came out.
I had an INWARD WATTS line to my house, so the kids NEVER had an excuse not to call home.
Of course there were pay phones every twenty feet back then too, hi hi...
Later, the phone system changed somewhat, rather than having a WATTS line, we had 800 numbers.
I kept my 800 number until shortly before moving south. But then too, even with the 800 number, my phone bill was still under 20 bucks a month, usually more like 12 to 15 bucks unless I got several 800 calls from spammers.
I did get a beeper for my step-daughter, because she had clients who called the house in semi-emergency situations.
It saved her the trouble of phoning home every hour to check for messages. She wasn't always near a phone.
Cell phones were a great invention, however, they have gone way overboard now, trying to make them do things they were never intended to do. In my opinion, texting on a voice communications device is about as ridiculous as watching an audio only program on TV. Yet some sit and stare at the color bars going up and down for hours on end, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're right Gary. Mobile phones're extremely useful in the case of emergencies, but everywhere you go, people (especially youngsters) seemed glued to them. They chat whilst walking their dogs, doing their shopping, waiting in queues - and in their cars, even though it's against the law to be holding a phone to your ear.

Even if it's not phone calls or texts, folk stand, sit and walk whilst playing games. I'm sure it numbs the brain to proper conversations, and with the amount of time spent messaging, it makes you wonder what they have left TO talk about in person!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I make Debi leave her Schmartz-Fone in a kitchen drawer at night.
She pushed some button on it, and now every time one of her friends makes a post on Farcebook, the thing makes a sound and then buzzes.
She can't find a way on the phone to stop it. So I'm thinking it is a setting she changed on Farcebook.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh LOOOL!!! So you still can't escape it! : )
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

One thing for sure, her Schmartz-Fone sure came in handy for me to see what my web sites look like on them.

The newer pages I just finished look great and work as I hoped they would.
I have 18 pages on one website which did not pass, now done, and look perfect.
Still have 14 more, which pass, but don't look good. So need updated to Mobile Friendly.
All of my pages pass W3C for HTML5.

My other website has 45 pages which do not pass at all, to be fixed.
Another 8 pages which pass mobile friendly, do not look good.
But they all pass W3C for HTML5, before I learned about making them Mobile Friendly.

So I still have one heck of a lot of work ahead of me to get everything up to snuff.

Trying to learn how to do something which appears possible, but I'm not sure how to go about making it do what I want.
Study, study, test, study, test some more. Beat head on wall, sleep on it, pester folks about it. Someday I will figure it out, hi hi...

In the meantime, my novels, already three years passed expected publication date, will have to wait.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Don't neglect your novels for too long Gary. I know you have much work to do, but publishing's what you're aiming for. Go for it!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

As a ghostwriter for a publishing company, tons of my work is out there, just not under my name, which is fine with me.
The only thing is, they are nothing like the story I am telling. Whether anyone likes it or not is not my goal, neither is making a ton of money. Heck, at my age, if I did make money, what could I do with it other than leave it in my Will for others, hi hi... Although, it would be nice if I made a little to be a bit more comfortable in my olde age, and afford Debi's medicines for her.
Icey

Post by Icey »

What a sweet thought.

Well, you have the ability, if not always the time, but maybe if you like the idea of wearable computers, you could have an idea spring into your head and note it down or send it on to others who might be interested? Kind of handy to have about your person.

As I say, these sort of gadgets wouldn't interest me. I don't even like my mobile to be switched on and kept next to me, but yes, I can see the day when laptops etc., become redundant. The thing is, I prefer seeing things on a larger screen. A watch's going to be pretty puny, even if you invest in the bigger type.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

Icey

Post by Icey »

:lol:

See how quickly people start coming out with the quips?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We were at a store when those "Glasses" came out. Forget the name of them now already. Perhaps it was just "Glass"?

The Monitors on those things were tiny, only about 3/8 inch, but that close to your eye, it looked like a 50 inch TV screen.

I have to chuckle at some of the TV Car Commercials showing on windshield display of your instruments as if it is something new. My dad's 1955 Ford had this feature. Trouble is, it was most annoying to drive, especially at night, even though you could dim it down to almost nothing. You can be driving down the road and actually miss things on the road, just like as if you had a leaf or bug on your windshield that lit up, hi hi... It causes your eyes to focus on it instead of on the road. He finally had a smoked glass placed over the clear glass to prevent the display from hitting the windshield.

Digital displays did not work out too well either. Easier to grasp a dial needle than to take the time to try and read digits. I think they've faded from usage now too.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you about windscreen displays of various instruments, and that includes sat navs. In the seconds it takes to look at them, you could have an accident, but at least you have audible access as well now.

All these new-fangled gadgets're supposed to make life easier for everyone, but I sometimes wonder.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Not to change the subject, but it sorta applies. Has to do with computers, GPS, and self-driving cars.

Remember my talking about my son buying me a GPS unit?
It came with a then current 2006 map. Three years later when the 2009 maps came out, I replaced my 2006 map with the 2009 map, due to so many new changes in the western half of our city.

I thought it was odd that some of the changes designed in 2000 to 2002, and completed by 2004, were not in the 2006 map. I was FURIOUS after paying for a 2009 map, and finding the data it contained for our area had not been updated since like 2003 or 2004 and still did not include the 2000 to 2002 changes to our area.
The next planned update for our city was like in 2012, so it would still be more three years before the GPS map would be corrected, and even then, it would only be for changes completed by 2006, some six years earlier.

For a self-driving car to even be considered in our town, it would have to know of all the lanes which suddenly end for no reason and without warning. It would have to violate driving laws to comply with the illegal signs telling drivers to violate the law, etc.

I don't see this happening in my lifetime!

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Self-drive cars're coming, but I can see problems. What if the computer system fails? What if they're hacked? Sensors might tell the car if someone suddenly steps out into a road, causing it to slow down or brake, but will they take into account idiot drivers in normal vehicles which they'd be driving alongside? Would they be able to overtake? Would they function at speed if a driver in front indicated to make a turn, but then changed their mind - or worse, DIDN'T indicate?