Wearable Computers

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Wearable Computers

Post by Kellemora »

They very well could be Icey.

We have this nut on-line that posts a new UFO activity and sometimes two each day.
Most of them can be figured out as to what they are, reflections, etc.
But UFO means Unidentified Flying Object. Which simply means, the person seeing it has not identified what it is, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes of course, but we associate the abbreviation with extra terrestrial objects. I won't say "alien" because that also means unknown, but you know what I mean.

I think lots of "sightings" have very logical sources - reflections, electrical charges, weather balloons and so on, but some're convinced that they're seeing space craft and other things. Although I don't rule such things out, until there's solid proof, I prefer to think in terms of more believable explanations.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't think we are alone in the universe, but if you consider the very short time we've had technology, it is doubtful we would ever hit another galaxy with a planet within the same technology period we are in.

Way back when we sent up a deep space probe, it contained a gold audio record on it.
Since it was such a simple technology, if discovered by another life form out there, they might be able to use and listen to it. Others who said we should have used our latest technology didn't realize how complicated it really is. Heck, sometimes trying to get something to work in the device it was made to work in can be frustrating, hi hi...

I look at it this way, IF there are Aliens visiting our planet, their technology levels are so far superior to ours, they look at us like we look at primitive cave men. To barbaric to bother to introduce themselves.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with that. Our technology'd probably seem archaic to them and indecipherable.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My grandpa on my mom's side, had this tiny piece of dark brown rock with a black line in it he found when he was a small kid. He kept it in his pocket as a good luck charm because it was shiny.
As he got a little older, handling more manly jobs around the farm, he noticed when he filed the scythe or other blades, the dust from filing always collected on the outside of his pocket with the stone.
He took the stone out of his pocket and sure enough, all the metal filings stuck to it.
Said it took him a month of Sundays before he got it clean and shiny again.

He knew what magnets were, and his stone sorta acted like a magnet, but couldn't hold itself up on an iron fence post like a magnet would stick tight. A very tiny wire brad might be attracted by it, but nothing else he tried.

If he turned a garbage can lid upside down and filled it with water, and placed the stone on a paper boat, it would always end up on the north side of the lid, no matter where he put it.

As I was growing up, he often talked about some of the things he owned as a kid. Although he did pass some of his childhood treasures on to me (and I still have them), this little stone got passed on to my cousin Dennis. He showed the most interest in it and even thought he knew the name of the stone, but it turned out not to be a lodestone as he though, but a stone with similar much weaker properties. However, by the time my cousin got it, it no longer had any magnetic properties left to it.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of what it was, but can say it sounded similar to the name for fools gold or pyrite.

In another story grandpa told us, it came out that in the same area he found the magnetic stone, he also found several small glass stones he kept for awhile, then used them all up in his slingshot.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Gary. It could've been lodestone, but there are quite a few stones and crystals that display magnetic properties, from very weak to quite strong. One of the latter's hematite. I have a bracelet made of it, and it'll attract all sorts of small particles and objects.

I think quartz is slightly magnetic as well, although I'm not positive. I used to collect pretty stones, rocks and crystals - just because I liked the look of them.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My cousin researched it and found out what it was. I wish I could remember the name of it to look it up.

It was only special to us because grandpa found it as a kid and carried it in his pocket for most of his life as a good luck charm so to speak. Tourist traps around us sell Lodestone and Magnetite along with other interesting stones from bins in their stores. I've never seen one that looked exactly like the one grandpa had, with the black line in it.

I have a couple of things on my shelves from my dad's pockets, and a couple of things he made in high school too. Plus got back the things they kept which I made in both grade and high school. Little by little, I will pack some things away to give to my son or daughter, along with a short one page story about the item.
After the heart attack I amazingly survived, I took several of the more important items and wrote about them in great detail. Not that these particular items will be worth much, but you never know. An old broken toy given to my dad by his dad, which was starting to rust and fall apart, fetched a thousand dollars at auction, simply because it was complete, and had the full story behind it. Who built it and why, along with its hand-me-down history. All of which could still be verified at the time it was sold.
Most of the antique toys I owned were in my downtown office, which we were run out of, and I never could recover them.
Hour long story behind that ordeal.
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're right about old toys. They can fetch a lot of money today, especially if they're still in their original boxes/packaging and aren't broken. My brother has a collection of to-scale Corgi and Dinky vehicles, still with their original boxes. I have a boxed Pelham puppet and some old annuals which're in excellent condition. These're from the 1950's, so probably worth a bit to collectors, but we're not parting with them. They'll be passed on to our children and any grandchildren.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had a working carousel with moving horses and music. The design was excellent.
Although it was a child's toy, by today's standards it would be banned as hazardous.
The fancy metal trim had sharp edges, there were open gears and moving parts, etc.
I don't doubt the paint had lead, etc. ad infinitum.
Date of manufacture estimated at prior to 1903, due to the fact it used some porcelain, and certain leather strapping traceable to a company which closed in 1902. The key to wind the toy's spring was made of cast iron, and if it was the original key, it would place the toy prior to 1880, which wasn't likely based on the mechanical movement parts, so we assume the original key was lost.
This was just one of the many toys I lost from my downtown office.

Although not really valuable dollar wise, I probably had over fifty different cast iron mechanical banks. Most of which probably cost under a dollar when manufactured, and were only worth three to five bucks at the time I acquired most of them. Today, many of that era fetch over fifty bucks if original. Most of mine did have the foundry stamp, so were worth more than those without.

When I think of the things considered of no further value, that we as kids wasted, and what they are worth today.
Before you go Oh, we all do the same things today. Even more so in our disposable society. How many Bic pens have you thrown away over the years? How many bottle caps from glass drinking bottles?
We literally had thousands of unused bottle caps in our warehouse. Dad used them in place of cork-balls for a baseball type game they played. We used them as floating targets in the pond or along a fence row. We also used some early fluted Christmas Tree lights, the old if one go out they all go out type, as targets placed on the fence by our local dump. Metal and plastic mills, no longer used for taxes and considered waste, etc.
At least I kept some of the old things I found more interesting, like the original three point bulldog clips used before we had hand staplers. Just as disposable then, as is a used staple today. Today, those remaining paper fastening clips are just rare enough, a dozen will fetch around 25 bucks to a collector.

But who has room to store all that stuff for five or ten decades, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're right Gary. Storage can be a problem, and when you think about the myriad of objects which MIGHT be useful in keeping, it's no wonder that people get rid of stuff.

I keep the things I mentioned, because, as with old cases of vinyl records, my parents - and grandparents handed them on to me. I know that I have some stuff which's worth quite a lot now, but in years to come, it'll be even better for our children to reap the rewards of hoarding it all, and luckily we have the space for what I want to save.

Things such as bottle tops and Bic pens don't interest me much, although I see the possible value. I'm more into antiques and particularly old porcelain items, as well as some toys which I inherited - tin whistles, my brother's wind-up train set which's in pristine condition, porcelain dolls and teddy bears, etc. I have 2 Jack-in-the-boxes, which I hate, because out of both of them leaps a clown - lol - but they're old, and still work properly. You don't see these things these days, the same as certain music boxes and, believe it or not, paper weights. The latter can fetch quite a lot of money now, depending on how they were made.

It's a shame that you didn't keep the moving carousel. I think that would've generated some interest amongst collectors, but, I'm going to say it anyway, you're right - people DO get rid of things without paying much attention to them. It all depends on what the items are, what historical value they're deemed to have and how much interest they'd generate if they were put on display.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although I did get rid of some family heirlooms which I had to keep in climate controlled storage, which cost me a considerable amount of money. There were offered to each family they belonged to, and refused acceptance, so I sold them.

As far as things like the Carousel and other antique toys and curios which were in my office. In essence, all of those things were stolen from me by the FBI, who promised their return to me.
They didn't have them to give back, they left them in the building, and the building was emptied, everything tossed on the street for anyone to take. It was a very sad day to hear how things went down.

Law enforcement CLAIM they are trying to earn the respect of the people.
When the truth is, they do everything possible to prove they are not worthy of any type of respect.

When the FBI came in and told us to vacate the building, I was promised I could go back in later to retrieve my personal items. I was again told this while sitting in their offices. Don't worry, nobody will touch your things, and you will be able to get them in a few more days. Days turned into weeks, and they kept saying in a few days, were not done with our investigation.

Next thing I know, I get a telephone call from a former employee of mine who happened to be passing by the building. He said they are dumping all of my stuff out on the street, and I should get down there right away.
I lived way out in the county, so by the time I made it downtown to the building which was once mine, it was empty, and only trash remained littering the sidewalks around it.

The citizenry cannot hold law enforcement, especially federal agents, responsible for the lies they habitually tell.
They are so far above the law it is pitiful, and obviously not accountable to anyone below their high and mighty ranking.

What little respect I still held for the FBI vanished instantly that day.
To me, they are just as much VERMIN as the crooked cops and Poly-TICK-ians.
And I hope every single one of them rot in Hell throughout eternity.
They have NO RESPECT for ANYONE, only themselves.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I was so sorry to read that. I can only imagine how you felt, and if it was impossible to get your things back, it's no wonder that you bear a grudge.

However, I can't comment on your FBI agents or whatever you call them, because I don't know how the system works and what rights they - and the general public have. I would've thought that there'd have been some safeguard in place so that no personal effects were lost, especially as you were all told to vacate the building where these things were housed. Why WERE people asked to leave the place? I can only guess that the officers were simply following orders, and that it was nothing personal, despite your losses, but yes, it seemed like an unfair practice. : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

A known crook was involved in the working of a business in the building, to the point of getting financing on the building, which he didn't own. He got caught up with, and went to prison, where he eventually died.

We have some really crazy laws here, which allow government to come in and seize all of your assets, and NEVER give them back.
Small business is hurt the most by some of these laws. For example, this one: If your company habitually deposits your daily receipts in the bank, like most businesses do, and the deposits are close to, but under 10,000 dollars. You are in violation of the law of making daily deposits under 10,000 dollars, and they can and often do, seize all of your assets.
All deposits over 10,000 dollars are reported to the feds. Many money laundering schemes make deposits just under 10,000 dollars so the bank does not have to report the income.
However, the feds monitor monthly bank statements of companies, LOOKING for companies they can legally seize all their assets. Even if the company is perfectly innocent, the feds still get to keep all their money, due to another law allowing them to do so.
As I said a hundred times, our government is SO CORRUPT it is pitiful. They LOVE destroying families and businesses, all for the sake of stealing their money, and passed laws that make it legal for them to steal your money.
YES, it really is THAT BAD over here. The Media is prohibited from publishing or talking about these events in their news columns or on the air, or they will go to jail for violation of national security laws.
Freedom of the Press died decades ago, as they whittle away our Constitutional rights.

The way it looks right now, this instant, is the Muslims have WON.
They are our government now, with very few things left not yet changed.
Sharia Law is on our doorsteps, and already applicable in many cities.
Not always by that name, but the new laws are equivalent to them.

The End Is Near!
Icey

Post by Icey »

I hear you.

The world's become an unstable and unpleasant place to live, but those of us who can't remember what a more gentle quality of life was like, we have to do the best with what we're presented with.

To businesses - if someone defaults on their business tenancy or mortgage, assets can be seized to recover money owed. The courts prefer not to do this, and offer a payment method which may be more manageable, but if people don't, or can't comply with the offer immediately, then goods're taken in lieu of the cash.

However, if an office, shop or storage unit holds goods belonging to people other than the owners, providing receipts can be shown, then no one can touch the items. Of course, the people who say they own these various goods have to be investigated if it appears that the business owner's using them as his/her own, otherwise anyone could put things down under someone else's name and not lose the goods if payment on the premises wasn't made.

Similar happens when bailiffs go into someone's home. They can seize goods which, when sold, covers any debt accrued, but they can't remove anything which belongs to someone else, especially if they have proof of purchase. They also have to leave basic things such as a bed or cooker, but anything else of any value can be removed.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't think they look at who owns what over here. If it is inside your house, it is your possession, even if it belongs to a son, daughter, or relative. However, many loans made with personal items as collateral, the items are listed individually on the form. And they can then only take the named collateral items and nothing else. Without going to court to take more.

Credit cards are an example of unsecured debt. So if you don't pay, they can't come and take away anything. But they can take you to court and get a judgment against you. This will then allow them to take anything and everything, with few exceptions, to cover the debt. In other words, the banks and lenders all have themselves well covered.