Geoengineering the Weather

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Geoengineering the Weather

Post by yogi »

One way to counter the effects of climate change is to apply techniques of geoengineering. In simple terms it means trying to control the weather. Professor Alan Robock, from Rutgers University in New Jersey, is a scientist leading the investigation into the possibilities of controlling weather events. Apparently this is not a new pursuit and has been around since the days of the Viet Nam war where attempts to gain an advantage were made by causing excessive rain to occur. Thus, manipulating the weather could be weaponized. All good things have a downside too.

Professor Robock has been contacted by the CIA recently for information regarding geoengineering, plus the CIA is involved in publishing reports about investigations into this field. I have a feeling it's not all about combating climate change. What do you think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ughts.html
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Geoengineering the Weather

Post by Kellemora »

I think it is TROUBLE in the Making!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Tbh, although the idea of being able to change weather patterns's been round for quite a while, I don't think that climates're being manipulated by hostile countries in as much as they've directed them at us - yet, but I understand that experiments've been carried out, and rainfall can be made to occur.

Of course it's possible to harness this and weaponize it. I read that the original idea was so that arid areas could be made fit for cultivation, but to flood or dry somewhere out could be very useful to an enemy.

Whether the adverse theories have any basis or not, I don't know, but I agree with Gary here. I think it ought to be left well alone before we find ourselves with trouble that can't be rectified.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The degree of effort required to affect something like a local climate is enormous, even it if can be done. Because so much effort must be put into the process, it is easily detectable. That ease of detection nullifies any military advantage it might offer. I'm not sure why the CIA would have an interest. I guess they have to keep on top of everything, speculative or not.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think you're right, but I suppose they're bound to have an interest in something which may be advantageously possible - if only to counteract such an attack.

Having said that, the weather patterns're changing all over the globe. I don't know what's causing it or even if there's any one particular reason for it, but research could come in handy, so on reflection, I think there's probably for and against.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

anything to do with CIA smells like trouble to me....

fiddling with weather patterns... hmm... it seems modification would not hurt per se; nobody needs monsoon rains, prolonged deepfreezes or 6' of snow at once.

but. there's always that but... nothing comes free.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Ostensibly the Rutgers professor is investigating ways to combat or alleviate problems with the changes in global weather. It just so happens that what he is studying could also have some military uses. The CIA's interest would be in detecting such manipulations and coming up with countermeasures. It all seems reasonable, but I don't think it's a good idea to mess with Mother Nature.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

They tried messing with Mother Nature in the bogus Ozone Scare, which resulted in higher taxes, licenses, fines, product changes, etc. The end result of their messing with Mother Nature was Excessive ground level Ozone in and around major cities. It got so bad they put up signs across the highways leading into the cities displaying the high ozone levels. They didn't go down, but the warning signs showed they did, only because they changed the levels to show red and orange to a much higher reading. Made people feel safer, although the problem went unchanged.

That's what happens with you mix 4-year Poly-TICK-ians with 13-year Ozone Cycles. Things go from bad to worse every time!

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Once you start playing God, something's bound to go wrong.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know I harped on this before. But Poly-TICK-ians and their greed compounded by lies, although going on since time immemorial, came to a head in the mid-1960s.

In order to gain more power over people, they came up with a bogus, easy to fool testing apparatus, and passed laws requiring all cars be tested on this device. They started what they called the 'clean air act.'

The main problem with what they were doing is they made the air dirtier in the process, by increasing air pollution from cars, while claiming they were reducing air pollution.

Although perpetual motion is totally impossible. The Poly-TICK-ians tried to convince folks they had achieved perpetual motion, by claiming the REQUIRED PUMP installed on your car does not rob the car of horsepower. Meaning, it uses no fuel or energy to operate.

What did this pump do? It was powered by your engine to inject air into your exhaust system.
What did the air do? It diluted the exhaust so the bogus test equipment showed you were polluting less.

Since there is no such thing as perpetual motion, it required your car burn more fuel in order to run this pump.
You got less gas mileage! So polluted the air more than before the Poly-TICK-ians required it be installed on all cars.

The analogy I used to describe what was going on here is by using a gallon of paint.
It is illegal to dump a gallon of paint in the river, unless you do it the Poly-TICK-ians way.
You bring an empty five gallon bucket with you to the river. Add four gallons of water from the river to the five gallon bucket, then add your one gallon of paint to the bucket and stir.
Now you can test the contents of the five gallon bucket, and it will pass the Poly-TICK-ians standards as being clean enough to dump in the river. So you empty the five gallon bucket in the river and you now did so legally.

I hope you realize you are still dumping a gallon of paint in the river! Only now it is legal to do so.

Only the case with the cars air pump was worse, because of the fuel needed to run the pump.
So to compare this with gallon of paint in the river. Besides the five gallon bucket, you would also need to buy a half-pint of heavily taxed paint from the gubment to add to this one gallon of paint and 3.99 gallons of water, to make it legal to dump into the river. So, besides dumping your one gallon of paint in the river, you are now adding the gubments half-pint of paint along with it.
No matter how you look at it, you are still adding a gallon of paint, plus half-pint of paint to the river.
Only if you do it by the Poly-Tick-ians rules, they claim you are no longer polluting the river.

The Poly-TICK-ians have become even more brazen over the years, pulling the wool over the peoples eyes with their bogus scams to increase taxes, licensing, fines, etc. Anything they can to line their pockets with more dollars.

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

And next we'll be charged for the polluted air that we breathe in, or, for an even higher tax, they might be able to change the weather and produce some nice clean stuff! LOL.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

not too loud now! don't give them ideas.... :roll:
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think they have plenty tucked away already. : (