Fox Hunt Ban

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Fox Hunt Ban

Post by yogi »

The traditional Fox Hunting sport has been banned for about a decade. Ten years later there are still 45,000 hunt members who carry on as usual. The Master of Foxhounds Association claims there are 186 hunt packs officially recognized. Apparently there is still a lot of support for the fox hunting activity and the law has become unenforceable. I'm not sure what to think about all this, but it does seem cruel to hunt fox this way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30940176
Icey

Re: Fox Hunt Ban

Post by Icey »

It IS cruel Yogi, particularly where vixen are hunted. If she has cubs, the hunt know that she won't go far from them, which often results in a kill and the young then die.

At one stage, hounds were still used but supposedly not to chase, just retrieve. However, the dogs're bred for the purpose of the chase, and the huntsmen can argue that if a fox got killed by a dog, it was only doing what it's been trained to do, so very few people've ended up in court.

Another cruel ploy is to trap a fox and injure it. By doing this, the animal can't go as fast or as far, and results in a kill at "prestigious" hunts.

I was brought up in the countryside and've heard the arguments for and against, but left alone, nature'd sort out the "fox problem" by natural selection.

There've been all sorts of loopholes, allowing hunts to continue, but registered ones said they were trail or drag hunting, whereby a scent's laid for the dogs to follow. Hunts can take place on private land, but unfortunately've crossed onto other people's property now and again, causing damage and obvious outcries from the owners.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I fail to see the thrill in any type of hunting. It all involves killing of animals. Back in the days before super markets, perhaps it was a necessary way to sustain life. Now and days it's just entertainment, a sport. Entertainment at the expense of a living creature doesn't seem right to me.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I fully support that.

However, where bounty ends up on the table, hunting's probably kinder than sending an animal to an abattoir. If it's purely for sport, I don't find it amusing, but then everyone justifies their own stance on the subject.

I don't like the thought of fishing when catches're simply weighed and then the creatures're returned to the water. Fish have nervous systems, and can therefore feel, but it's a huge sport over here, and I doubt my words'd have any impact on the thousands of fishermen who enjoy making a day of it. If the fish're going to be eaten, I think that's acceptable. The same goes for small game hunting. One shot usually kills a bird outright, which's far kinder than being strung upside down in a factory and having its throat cut.

Fox hunting seems to have no rhyme or reason, except for the pleasure of those who don't mind seeing a defenceless animal ripped to shreds. It's not true that foxes kill chickens and ducks indiscriminately. It's surely up to the farmers/keepers to make sure that their birds're properly secure, but nature is as nature does. If a fox's hungry and it can get into a pen where fowls are, it'll go after one and take it. Unfortunately, other birds sometimes die from heart attacks as they scatter in confusion, but any good hen keeper knows that if the coups're solid and predators can't get in through the netting, then their birds'll be safe.

I've ridden out on fox hunts - thankfully few and far between so I've never witnessed a kill, but quite frankly, it's just a "sport" for those who make every excuse to chase and make one. If you've seen the resulting "swagger" from the Master of the Foxhounds and those involved, it's truly sickening.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, i have nothing to add to that. what kind of person enjoys seeing another being die for no reason? they all have exactly as many lives as we do.
Icey

Post by Icey »

The "fun" appears to be in the chase, Vikki, but the odds're stacked against the quarry. You'd be hard pressed to find a huntsman who won't come up with all sorts of excuses for this cruel sport.

They pretend that the kill's quick and clean. Try listening to the screams of a fox when it's caught, or see the glint in the eye of those who held its tail up afterwards. Thankfully, much of this's stopped now, but I don't think hunts've ever really been stopped on private land.
Last edited by Icey on 22 Feb 2015, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:sick:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Go to a chicken farm some time and see how many thousands of baby chicks are dropped in a bin alive and allowed to die from suffocation, dehydration, or starvation.
Yet nothing has been done to stop this practice.

Over 56 MILLION unborn babies were decapitated and dissected as a CONVENIENCE...
No one bats an eye at the slaughter of human life!

And you are worried about a friggin' fox being hunted?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

your point?
Icey

Post by Icey »

I care very much Gary, but that's another subject. I don't agree with fox hunting.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm not a hunter either Icey.

But I eat meat and plants.

Chickens are bread for food, Steers are bread for food, and slaughtered by the millions to provide same.

When wild fox become a problem in an area, they are hunted down and killed only to exterminate the population overage, not even used for fur or meat.

So a company raises a few hundred Red Fox so one or two may be selected for a Fox Hunt.
The Fox chosen for the hunt has a better chance of escaping than those still in the pens which will be slaughtered.

That being said, I do not believe in hunting solely for sport killing with no other purpose than entertainment.

A hunter hunting for food, which will be used to feed his family and not wasted is a different matter.
Trouble is, there are so many idiots out there in the fields and forests during hunting season, the best thing to do is stay at home. We don't need to hunt to provide food for our families at the present time. At least not here where we have several grocery stores down the street. But I don't want to see hunting banned either.

I see racing horses and jumping hurdles as cruel and unusual punishment of horses. Included in that is the way they are trained to walk in unnatural methods to win shows. But millions of people are into this type of animal cruelty and see nothing wrong with it...

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're quite right Gary.

Hunting for food's a different matter, and although, as you say, there's no need for it at the present time, there's still a call for game and ground game. We don't have slaughter houses which cater for rabbit meat, for example, so these're hunted, along with various birds.

I agree with you about horse racing and National Hunt races where they go over various hurdles. Horses like to be ridden out and go for a gallop, but during races, they're often pushed to the limit, which I find cruel. The argument of course, is that they're bred for the job, but that's all it is, to make money out of the poor animals and to breed from them.

I don't particularly like dressage either. The horses're displaying learning and obedience, according to the rider's commands. As intelligent creatures, they can be taught to move in a particular way, which's amazing to watch, but un-natural.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin »

Off topic replies were split off to the appropriate forums
  • ~forumadmin