Trans-Eurasian belt Development (TEPR)

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Trans-Eurasian belt Development (TEPR)

Post by Kellemora »

Very interesting phenomenon!

About the only time we see something like that is if a dam must open it's flood gates to prevent some other disaster upstream.

A lot of people would gather around one dam every day at around 3 pm, when they release their daily wash cycle.
The learned on this particular waterway that a slow normal release causes too much silt and stuff to build up in the channel leading to the river. This kept causing problems ever since the dam was built.
But if they release X number of gallons all at once, it keeps the channel clean as a whistle.

Now, based on the old used whistles I've seen or found, none of them were clean, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

LOL!

Well the Severn bore's one of the most spectacular natural phenomena in the world, and I was mistaken about the waves it can create. Apparently some can be as high as 50ft.

I don't know what causes it. I shall have to check it out.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My brother visited some place and sent back several pictures. Don't remember if it was Japan or China, but it was an Asian country. The way the tide came in at certain times of the year, it caused a sudden blast of water to shoot vertically from what looked like a calm and quiet pond or small lake.
At the time, he knew something was up, because hundreds of people suddenly held up their cameras, although nothing had happened yet. He knew they were getting ready for something, so did the same thing. He stayed two extra days to get more pictures, but they were nothing like the first day of the ones he shot. Almost like Sci-Fi!

I was working in Southern California for a couple of months when a storm came rolling in from the ocean. Our boss told all of us to stop working and watch toward the southwest. I almost missed it, because I wasn't looking at the right area.
You've seen those big waves surfers like to ride. This was twice as big, only it crested backwards away from land, instead of rolling toward the land. The way the ocean floor rises in that area causes the phenomenon, but only when a certain storm is coming from a certain direction, so is sorta rare. The tide and ocean currents have to be just right too.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Beautiful but scary. Look at how tsunamis come in. They seem similar.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The one and only time I ever saw a 'wall of water' on a river, I was up by Pierre Marquette State Park. It was smaller than an ocean wave of course, but most unusual for being seen on a river. It was about six feet high in the middle and tapered down to about four feet high near the bank, then down to nothing at the bank.
Fairly flat across the front, then tapered back down to river water level behind it.
The river did come up about a foot after it passed, but went back down to normal within about a minute or two.

Since there was no dam close enough to where we were to have broken, and we were miles further from the locks, we were not sure what caused it, until we got home and saw the TV news.

A whole section of a rock bluff let go, falling over like if you dropped a standing door, and landed flat in the river. The news media covered more about the cars and trucks on the highway which were crushed, and the pile up than they did about the 'wall of water' it send up and down the river. Two homes on the other side of the river from where the rock bluff fell were destroyed from the water it tossed in their direction, and they showed pictures of those houses.

I've had to swerve around fallen sections of boulders where they carved through to make highways a few times, but never saw a whole 200 foot high bluff give way, except the aftermath on TV.
Seeing the wall of water coming down the river was scary enough, even though we were high enough it wouldn't affect us. We didn't know what was behind it or if it would be getting bigger. Especially since our immediate thoughts was a dam broke somewhere and the worst was still to come.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I imagine you felt a bit un-nerved at seeing the wave come along, especially when you didn't know the cause of it. I was going to suggest that it might've been a small bore, but obviously not in that case. Bores come along pretty swiftly, but die down again quickly as well.

The worst wall of water I had the "privilege" of seeing first-hand, was on a ferry trip. A Force 9 gale sprang up, which put-paid to any on-board activities as most folk took to their cabins feeling queasy! The captain decided not to drop anchor and to carry on. I thought it was a ridiculous decision to make, but he did it anyway, and climbing out of my bunk to go and see whether I could locate a hot drink from anywhere, a sudden dark grey wall of water literally towered above the window. It was terrifying. It went back down, and the boat dipped hideously. Just trying to get downstairs was a feat in itself. I was thrown from side to side and almost tumbled down the steps, and then, to my amazement, I found a guy squatting down and painting a door! The situation was ludicrous, and I burst out laughing - more out of shock than anything else! :eek:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya on the fellow painting the door, hi hi...
I guess he wasn't worried about a little weather tossing the boat around, he was probably used to it.

Way back when I was really stupid, referring to when I was changing lamps in tall radio and TV towers.
My uncle, who got me the job, was crazier than I was. He never let a little wind or rain keep him from climbing.
Heck, it's windy enough up their on a nice calm day, and once you get above the last set of guy wires, the top of the tower is moving back and forth at least a foot or more as it is. I always thought about metal fatigue when I was doing the top light, but figured, well, I've not heard of the tower tops breaking off yet, so I guess I'm OK. Antenna's, which I didn't climb on at all for anything, now they get a lot of damage from vibration and movement. Many parts come loose over time too. Even if I could reach a loose element from the tower, without climbing the actual antenna, I still wouldn't fix it, because if I did, they would expect me to do more than I was hired to do, which could lead to me getting up higher than I wanted to go. I'm glad I didn't do that job for very long, I really was scared up there, not of myself, but of a mechanical failure of the tower itself, and the more damaged and worn parts I saw, the less I wanted to climb them.
Good thing they came out with newer type bulbs which last for decades. Saves them a bundle I'm sure.
I don't doubt they will be using Drones for antenna maintenance before long.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hats off to you Gary! I don't know how you managed to do that job. I don't like heights anyway. I have a relative who worked on pylon maintenance. He said the same as you - that the structures swayed. His job was to check and repair any wires from the point where he was, and believe it or not, HE didn't like heights either, but stuck it out for a year or two because the money was so good. Shudder.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I was young at the time, well 22 and 23 years old. My uncle of 45 did it daily, and since he was my favorite uncle, if he could do it, I could do it too, hi hi...
I was only nervous at first, but my uncle said to me a few times when we reached the fifty foot point on an 800 foot or higher tower. If you fall from here you won't survive, so make use of your gear properly, no skipping. It don't matter how much higher you go from here, the danger is exactly the same as right here. So whether you are at fifty feet, five hundred feet or a thousand feet, once you cross fifty feet, you've crossed the point of no return.

He made his point. If I wasn't afraid at fifty feet, I had no reason to be if I climbed any higher.
However, other things become considering factors the higher you climb.
It gets colder, and windier, and the tower begins to rock further and further.
The metal framework gets thinner also, and more slippery.
I never did Free Climb, no way, no how. I used double belts and clips, which took longer to move from mount to mount, but I knew doing so, I wouldn't fall because of a clip or belt breaking, which would probably never happen anyhow.

Yes it did pay a lot of money, and today it pays 100 times more than back then too.
If your average weekly income from a normal job was only 100 to 150 bucks a week, and you could earn 250 dollars for replacing the lights on a tower when an order came up. That's two whole weeks pay for 5 to 7 hours work.
So I can see why there are a few who love the work. I can never say I loved it, and I'm not afraid to admit I was scared to death, but not afraid in the same sense that I am today. At that age you are invincible, or at least think you are. But I never took chances, so knew I was safe and wouldn't fall. What I feared most was what I was on falling down with me on it. And if you could see how some of these towers look as they age, this fear was easily a reality.
The older you get, the more sense you get, and learn your feet are supposed to stay on the ground, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you, but as you say, when people're young, the dangers, although there, don't seem to bother you so much. I think that applies to anything where a person could get seriously hurt or killed. Just look at youngsters when they get their first cars! Most of them put their foot down if they can, and take risks. They know they could have an accident, but it doesn't really come into the equation until or if they do. It was different for me. I was driving young, but also had my family when I was young, so that kept me "sane" on the road, knowing that little lives were at stake, and I've never wavered from that really.

No matter what sort of money a person can earn from going up towers though, I could never've done it. My knees turn to jelly if I even climb a stepladder! I don't like going up spiral staircases either, even with solid walls on one of both sides, and just driving over certain bridges bothers me!! : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Let's not talk about bridges. I made a comment to my passenger on the way home. "This bridge scares me, I hate having to drive across it." A half hour later, we heard on the news, this very bridge we just crossed fell into the river.

I think what has amazed me my entire driving career, is the lack of law enforcement regarding the right-of-way laws.
The laws are on the books, but I've never seen them enforced in my lifetime.

Both back home, and here too, hundreds of cars use the median to merge into traffic, so the people driving properly and trying to merge into traffic from the on-ramp, cannot because the space they were pacing themselves to fit into, was taken over by a driver cutting across a median to grab it.
I used to be able to see one of these areas from my office window. The problems caused by these illegal drivers using the median cannot be expressed in words. Major traffic jambs, numerous accidents, a few fatalities, all caused by failure to follow the right-of-way laws. Yet I never once in my life saw anyone get a ticket for being a major road hazard.

It is much worse down south here than back home ever was. Driving across the yellow line, driving down the wrong side of the road, both one of the most hazardous things a driver can do. So is parking on the wrong side of the road. You can't get there without driving on the wrong side of the road. Nor is their vehicle properly equipped for same. Chapter 17, Article VI, Ordinance 17-296, is on the books, but is not enforced here in Knox County at all. You can call the cops until you are blue in the face over the law violators. Maybe they might show up three or four days later and write a warning ticket on one. But the problem is a MAJOR one down here, and totally uncontrolled by law enforcement. They are too busy setting up radar traps and the like to meet their monthly quotas generating income for the city.
They only enforce those laws which they can profit the most from, and to heck with all the rest of the laws on the books.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you that drivers break these laws all the time. It seems an occupational hazard over here, yet very few're brought to book.

The roundabout I mentioned some posts back - where drivers want to turn left, but move into the right-hand lane and then cut across to get there more quickly .... we saw 3 people break the law today, but there are no cameras positioned in this dangerous area, and never a police officer at all, so these idiots get away with it (until they cause an accident), and then moan that they weren't doing anything wrong. It's just common sense, and if the government want to claw back money which they wasted in the first place, what better way than making all drivers re-take a test every so many years? It'd bring in constant revenue and get rid of some of the poorest drivers on the road. I don't think half of them really know how to drive.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although it sounds like a good thing. Having drivers take a test at each renewal period. It won't change anything on the roads. And could possible cause more unlicensed drivers without insurance on the roads at the same time.

I've worked with a couple of guys who had their licenses taken away for a full-year for driving while intoxicated, and got caught too many times.
They still drove to work each day, while their licenses were suspended, and they did not renew their car insurance because then it would be known they were still using the car.

The way our courts work here, the fact their licenses were suspended for multiple DUI's would NOT be allowed to be mentioned during the hearing for driving without a license. They plead guilty to the minor charge of not having a license on their person while driving. The issue of not having insurance is separate, and may or may not be a part of the case being tried. It is better for the defendant if they are handled separately, because then all they have to do is get insurance to show they complied with the bench order to obtain proof of insurance.

In my opinion, ONE DUI should mean revocation of their drivers license for LIFE.
And if caught driving without a license which was revoked for due to a DUI, they should get 5 years in prison as the MINIMUM sentence.
The victims DUI drivers kill, have a permanent death sentence. I think the laws should be such that if a DUI driver kills someone, they get 25 years in prison first, THEN are executed. Not executed right away which alleviates their suffering for the crime. The way it is NOW, 99.999% of DUI drivers get off Scott Free each time they are caught, and until they do kill someone. Then they might get six months or less. We have NO Restitution to Victims by Criminals in this country.

Sad, very sad...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Good points, and yes, perhaps your idea's better!

The thing is, over here, to tax your car, you need to show you have insurance, and if you're one day late in renewing your tax, your details're down on the DVLA computers and you soon hear from the appropriate department!

For various reasons, a person may decide to have their car off the road, in which case you have to obtain a form which states this, and says where it is.

So it isn't so easy to drive around untaxed and with no insurance - or licence. Some get away with it for a bit, especially if they have no permanent address, or if they still have a few months' tax on their car while they're suspended, but in general, these people get caught.

When you drive any vehicle, you're in charge of a machine that can kill. If you haven't got the appropriate documents and're involved in an accident, particularly a fatal one to the person you hit, I think the full weight of the law should come down heavily on them. It DOES usually mean a jail sentence for those caught, but if someone's stolen a car and then runs off after hitting someone, they might not always get found, although with the amount of cameras we have everywhere, the culprits are most often traced in the end.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sounds as it should be Icey!

A vehicle is the most deadly weapon ever conceived by mankind, and sadly, is the most abused weapon as well.
If they can't make enough profit in fines for lawbreakers, they ignore the majority of the laws and only single out those few which generates them the most profit. And often use illegal and/or amoral methods to increase those profits.

I've never seen as many ridiculous speed traps anywhere in the country as I have found down here.
I should take some pictures sometime, because you won't believe it unless you see it.

Coming off the highway onto an exit ramp with a safe speed sign posted of 45 mph, near the end of the exit ramp an ordinance based speed limit sign is posted at 20 mph. There are NO entrances or exits to the stretch of roadway that is posted at 20 mph. When you reach the end of the 20 mph zone, there is a hospital entrance, and several driveways along the next stretch of roadway, the speed limit posted here, in the most dangerous area to have a high speed limit it is 45 mph. You get another half mile down the road, away from driveway entrances and they suddenly drop it to 35 mph.

There can be no other reason for a 20 mph speed limit on a stretch of road with no entrances or exits tied to it, other than using it as a speed trap. You go from 65 mph on the highway, to 45 mph on the first part of the exit ramp, then it suddenly drops to 20 mph for about a quarter mile, then jumps back up to 45 mph again when you get into the congested high traffic area.
FWIW: Back home in the county in which I lived, a law was passed prohibiting the state, county, or any municipality in the county, from posting a speed limit lower than 25 mph, and this included school zones as well.
We had municipalities placing speed limit signs as low as 5 mph in order to cash in on the double, triple, and quadruple fines the law allowed them to impose. At 10 mph, you would be going double the posted speed limit, and therefore the fine was automatically doubled, at 15 mph you were three times the posted speed limit, etc.
By making the minimum speed limit allowed as 25 mph, it cut out all of these speed traps used by so many municipalities.

I used to own several vehicles and it angered me I had to pay insurance on each of them separately, when I could only drive one of them at a time. When I reached the point I owned ten vehicles, I could get fleet insurance, which meant they could all be on the road and insured, but it did save me a little bit of money while I had folks working for me.

I learned about surety bonds through one company I worked who paid our car insurance for us. Trouble is, personally, I never had enough money to stash away for a surety bond.
Happened to bump into a fellow at the parts store one day who I knew owned over twenty-five cars, and asked him about his insurance costs. He said he only had two insurance policies, one for himself to drive any vehicle, and one for his wife to drive any vehicle. I had asked my insurance company about this many times and they said such a policy doesn't exist. So I asked him which company he used. He told me and I went to them also, but it was not as simple as just taking out insurance. Thankfully I owned a business, and transferred my business liability to them first, also double my amount of coverage at the same time for little more than I was paying my present company.
Once all of that was taken care of, they told me the steps required for me to obtain vehicle insurance for any vehicle I drove. It works sorta like getting insurance on a car you are renting from a car rental place.
It required taking my name off my four remaining vehicles and placing them in my company name, and since I still owed on one of them, I had to first take a small second mortgage loan on my house to pay off the car loan.
The next step was to establish the vehicles owned by my company as private loaner vehicles. Then I had to borrow a loaner car from my company, and the ticket marked, whichever vehicle is available when I needed a loaner I could use.
With that paperwork in hand, I got an insurance policy for my wife, to cover whichever loaner she used from my company, and the same for myself. So now I was paying only one insurance policy for each of us, albeit about fifty bucks higher than normal car insurance, but about 1,500 dollars cheaper than insuring the vehicles individually. So you can look at it I saved 1,400 per year by going this route. I was also covered to drive any rental car, or any car I borrowed from someone else, provided I did not own the car.
I did have to keep each vehicle licensed and inspected, since we could not keep unused cars which were visible. Housed in a barn or garage is different. You can have as many cars stored as you want, but don't dare take them on the street.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Gary. First of all, some of those speed traps're ridiculous. I know what you mean about no entrance or exit roads which might necessitate slowing down, but we have that kind of thing over here before schools, as an instance, which I suppose's sensible as you have kids messing about as they're walking to and from school gates which vehicles can't go through. If someone's going to get accidentally pushed into the road, no hit's good, but it's better if a car's travelling at 20 mph which's the usual speed in such areas, than 40 or 50 mph. The cameras're still in operation though, even during class time, so even if a road's almost empty at certain times of the day, woe betide anyone being snapped over the limit.

Insuring vehicles can be a minefield. It's cheaper over here to insure several family or business ones with the same company. The more you have, the lower the cost - naturally. When it comes to insuring again, the companies'll drop the premiums even lower (providing you've made no claims) because they don't want to lose your custom, but these charges that the insurance firms make can differ wildly. As an example, my son passed his driving test not so long ago, at the same time as 2 of his pals. They all had cars at the ready, with the same engine capacity, but we found insurance for our son's which was literally several hundred pounds cheaper than what his pals paid, and this WASN'T with our own insurance company. Because he's young, he's classed as a bad risk at first, and even taking into account a discount for another car, we still managed to find a comprehensive cheaper one for him. It took us a while to trawl round the various insurance firms though, but it was worth it. The same applies to breakdown cover. If you compare what you get for the price, you can find a bargain if you take your time.
Last edited by Icey on 27 May 2015, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had the same problem when I first started driving. Although I never had a ticket or accident the first two years of driving (not meaning I had an accident, the two years is when the rates are supposed to go down). My rates didn't go down, in fact, they were higher than other places I checked when they didn't reduce my rates. I finally found an insurance company who was less than half the price I was paying, but they also covered more. I figured perhaps it was a misprint so called them. It was no mistake, and I was with them for a lot of years. Moved to another company for a short time, but have been back with them again now for probably over 20 years. They treated me RIGHT after the Hailstorm too, so I have no intent on leaving them. Farm Bureau!
Icey

Post by Icey »

That sounds like a good company to be with, and if you're lucky enough to hit on one, there seems little point in changing, does there?
Ours're very competitive at the moment. You can see more ads for insurance than a little. Some might SOUND like a good deal - until you delve into what you actually get for your money, and then you realise that maybe they aren't so good after all, but our son got a great one, and it covered more than we expected, so you - and he - seem to've been lucky! : )
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We have several companies who advertise on TV constantly on how they save you 300, 500 or 700 bucks on car insurance.
Ads like these should be outlawed, because they are 99% false. In other words, perhaps 1 out of 100 people who went with them were paying through the nose for insurance due to tickets or accidents, which time frame for high rates just expired anyhow, had they stayed with their insurance company, their rates would be below what the con artists on TV claim.

I was curious and since they gave free quotes I gave them a call. Every single one I called was at least double of what I'm paying, and for less coverage.

I look at them akin to the telemarketing calls I get from Card Service International.
They are up to like their 10 millionth call to my house, claiming it is "My second and Final Notice, to reduce the interest rate" on my zero percent interest, no annual fee, cash back, credit card.

They use the "Don't Call List" to get known working numbers to call, and they HACK the Caller ID system to show FAKE numbers they are calling from. They stoop so low as to use your OWN phone number as the number they are calling from, since you normally can't block your own number. I use a service where I can block my own phone number from calling itself, hi hi... Technically, no one can call the phone number of the phone they are using, but CON ARTISTS have learned how to HACK the Caller ID, and my blocking system uses the Caller ID to block callers.

The sad thing is, since they CAN Hack the caller ID system, they just keep using real peoples phone numbers, causing perfectly valid phone numbers to be blocked. The company I have my phone service through is working on a program to test if the caller ID has been hacked and if so, it will block the call automatically. Hope they get it operational soon.
MaBell or whoever implemented caller ID with no security feature built-in to prevent hacking the caller ID system, should be drawn and quartered for not fixing the security holes in their program.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I'm lucky that very few calls like that are put through to me directly, but occasionally one slips through. I never speak to anyone though, and over time, these calls've got less and less, but you're right, they're very annoying, and I agree with you about the false insurance ads - and others.

I like your "second and Final Notice, to reduce the interest rate" on my zero percent interest, no annual fee, cash back, credit card"! LOL!!! I have to say that I don't like credit cards though. It's so easy to get them and use them wrongly, and then folk get into a terrible mess. On the occasions I use mine, the balance's always fully paid before the next statement arrives, but I try not to use them at all, preferring debit cards or better still - cash. It depends on the value of the purchase of course. No one wants to walk around with large sums of money on them, so a card's handy in that respect, but living on credit isn't my idea of fun. I believe in: If you can't afford it, don't buy it - but I appreciate that not everyone's able to do that, and the cards're useful to fall back on in the case of an emergency.