Juno reached Jupiter!

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Juno reached Jupiter!

Post by Kellemora »

Little Juno finally, after 5 years, has reached Jupiter, and successfully established itself in orbit.

They purposely crashed Galileo into Jupiter when it sent data of possible oceans, they said for security reasons.
As a HAM, we were able to copy some of Galileo's transmissions, but due to random spread spectrum technology of five years ago, we cannot track or listen to Juno or it's encrypted and transmitted messages.

Can't wait to see what NASA releases to the public about Jupiter!
Icey

Re: Juno reached Jupiter!

Post by Icey »

Oh that's fabulous! I'd like to see the pics as well, although I bet NASA keep the best ones to themselves.
yogi

Post by yogi »

By Jove I think they've got it! :mrgreen:

There is speculation that life exists on one or more of the yet undiscovered moons of Jupiter.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Seems the radiation around Jupiter would extinguish life forms the way we know them.
That being said, here on earth we have lifeforms that live in places we thought were impossible, like around the hot sulphur (sulfur) vents in the ocean floor.

I guess to an alien life form, they would consider us a Nitrogen breathing species, hi hi...
yogi

Post by yogi »

:cool: Apparently they have Legos built into the spacecraft: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/6/121058 ... es-jupiter
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers!

We were in a bad car accident this morning. My car is totaled and sitting about 50 miles from here.
No one was injured, nor will we even have any bruises. Low impact, but due to a trucks high bumper height, it did a lot of damage which cannot be repaired at a reasonable cost.

I had no exit route avoid the accident, oncoming cars in the left lane, and a roll down a mountainside if I took to a non-existent shoulder. If it was not for the high narrow utility bumper, we probably would have sustained minimal damage instead of being totaled.

Because the bumper was not involved, the airbags did not deploy. Initial impact was to the right headlight bucket, which in turn caused a chain reaction under the hood, pushing the battery into the computer box, and the computer box into the Heat/AC blower unit. The bending metal and their trailer hitch ate the radiator.

The truck I hit had no brake lights or turn signals. The driver claims his engine died and he had to shift to park to start the truck again, so skidded to a stop to do that quickly. Even though they admitted to suddenly stopping, it's naturally my fault, because it's the front of my car and the back of their truck. The truck suffered no damage, and my car never reached his standard lower bumper, only the utility tray type bumper which stuck out is what got me.

The saddest thing is, not only did we replace the engine last year, this year we replaced the steel brake lines, all the rubber brake lines, new brakes, new tires, and a few other things to get it ready for winter.
You also cannot get the plastic parts anymore, and junk yard parts are brittle, so I guess I'll see if someone can part it out for me.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The good news is that you are alive and apparently well enough to tell us about your experience. Everything else about it is the bad news. I know you are an engineer at heart and you must be clever enough to know that it's often wiser and more cost effective to repair an old reliable car than it is to buy something new. You are, however, the first person I know who has repaired the brake system so extensively. You didn't mention the master cylinder but I'd figure if you are replacing the system that would be included. There are a few quirks in the traffic laws that place the blame on the wrong party. Unfortunately, in most places there is no such thing as a "no fault" crash. Hopefully you will be able to sell enough parts to get yourself a nice vintage cement truck to drive around. Mismatches would not be a problem then.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with Yogi, Gary. It's a relief to hear that you and your wife sustained no injuries, although I bet you were shocked. Were you driving up close behind this truck? If that'd happened over here, the car driver'd get the blame and wouldn't be able to claim on his/her insurance.

When you've had enough time to assess everything, do you think it might be possible to do a repair job on your car, or would it be cheaper to just buy another? I'm sure you could've done without all this, though. Just glad that you're both alright, so to speak.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My car is 20 years old now, so none of the plastic parts are available, and junkyard parts are just as brittle, so cannot usually be swapped out.

I've always put this car in the shop for any minor thing, and replaced parts that I knew were getting old. The steel brake lines were a bit rusty and getting pitted in spots, so I decided to have them replace only a month or so ago, and it wasn't cheap.
I don't think I've put but about 5,000 miles on the car since I had a new engine installed, which was a major expense.

Had the high cargo bumper not hit in the exact spot it did, we would have sustained little to no damage. But right where it caught me was in the headlight bucket, so pulled all the mounting steel behind it back at the same time it pushed all the components back into the firewall. If it were not for the computer and Heat/AC blower box damage, it probably could be fixed.
The outside parts are fairly cheap, a hood 250 bucks, a fender about 80 to 100 bucks, but the metal underneath would run about 500 bucks. Then we will need the radiator, condenser, fan, AC dryer, blower housing, and the biggie is the computer box, the one I have by itself costs over 600 bucks used from a junkyard. Not sure if an A-frame got bent, but a piece of fender metal did bend down and sever the rubber brake hose, so there's a lot of unseen damage as of yet.

The bumper on my car never touched the bumper on their truck so the airbags did not deploy.

I only had Liability Insurance on this car, because we recently moved the full-coverage over to my wife's car, because of a rental car companies policy. You don't have to buy extra insurance on the rental car if you have full coverage on your newest vehicle. So, since we were going out to Nashville to visit her son, and my son and wife and kids who are meeting us there, I changed which car had full-coverage. Figures don't it! Her car is disposable per se, mine although older, technically wasn't.

Knowing me, I will probably do whatever I can to get my car repaired, even though it is dented up from the hailstorms we've had here. The hailstorm that broke six rafters in the roof of my house did a number on the cars too! My car was under some huge trees and between the garage and tall hedge of smaller trees, but still got heavy hail damage.

Oh well, none of us were hurt, not even sore this morning, because it was a low speed impact. Just a shame it happened fifty miles from home!
Icey

Post by Icey »

I really am sorry. I hope that you get some better luck soon.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I got one rough estimate on getting my car repaired, it came it at over 5 grand and more like 6 grand.
This will make my car worth less than 2 grand when it is back to running shape.
Looks like I'll have to finally write this one off. Next I'll see if I can find someone who can part it out, after all it does have a brand new motor with less than 5 or 6 thousand miles on it.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Gary. Yes, you should be able to strip it down and get rid of useful parts, but you won't get back what you paid for them or what they're now worth in second-hand condition.

How did you and your wife get home. 50 miles away is quite a distance to get stranded. : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Even if I gave it to someone to part out, it is doubtful I would make anything at all from it.

We rode with the tow truck driver to where he dropped our car off, and called my wife's niece to come get us.
She was at work in the opposite direction of our house, so for her to come get us was like 75 miles one way, then 50 miles back to our house.
Then, after doing that for us, the next day she made the same trip we were on to go pick up the several cases of tomatoes, which was the purpose of our trip in the first place. She has a medical condition which prevents her from eating tomatoes, or anything containing seeds, so for her, it was just doing us a major favor to make that 100 mile round trip.

I still need to make the trip again myself to go clean out my car. I have several cases of inventory items I picked up a few days earlier and due to rain just didn't unload into my storage building yet. I'm not supposed to lift things over 20 pounds, and each of these cases weight a minimum of 45 pounds and some are even heavier. So, I have to set up a roller conveyor to move them from the back of my car to their storage shelf. It takes me a while to do this, and with rain, I usually wait.

We have another challenge on getting things taken care of also. Where we had the car placed, the husband and wife are having a feud, and he's the one who has to be there for the estimators to look at it, and she don't want him around the place right now, hi hi... However, she is biting the bullet to help us get things settled with the car, and letting him come by when necessary. As an aside, they have been fighting for over ten years, and have a major blow-up about every other year, then it all settles back down again. This time period just happens to be right after another major blow-up, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh my goodness! LOL!!!

However, that was a magnificent gesture by your wife's niece. Hope you manage to treat her for her kindness at some stage.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Oh, we treat her like a queen whenever we can. She does a lot for us!
She and the frau go to the movies often together, which leaves me off the hook about going somewhere, hi hi...

Was checking into getting another car this morning. Found over a dozen within ten miles of me, and not a single one had the package I wanted. Expanded my search to twenty-five miles and found close to thirty for sale, all without the package I must have. I spent a few years back in 1998 to 2000 trying to find another like mine to buy as a second car. Never found one.
After I moved down here, I started looking again, and never found one. A couple of years ago, I finally settled on one for the frau, also without the package I want in it.
Seems nobody forked over the extra two grand for the super drive train edition like I did, so none are out there to find.
The package included a center floor console slap-stick w/anti-roll back, user readable diagnostic computer, three programmable garage door and gate openers, etc. I don't care so much about the special computer, but I have to have the slap-stick and 4WD.

I've driven several of the recent and new models with the six speed transmissions, and they lag heavily and don't downshift properly to be useful to me.

It's looking more and more like I will need to fork over the big bucks to have my car restored, which means putting over five grand into a two-thousand dollar vehicle. But at least I will have what I want and how I want it, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh alas! That's bad news, isn't it? I think the best way to look at it's that yes, to get all that you want, it seems as though you're going to have to have your car restored - but at least it'll be the motor that you know and like, costly though it'll no doubt be.

Can't suggest anything Gary, but I think you already know what you're going to do. I don't get attached to cars, except for my very first one, which was passed onto me. It now resides in a garage at my parent's place, and still runs as good as it did 20 years ago, because it's been looked after and not thrashed to hell.

Since then, a few cars've come and gone. I'm not fussed like some folk are, but prefer to ride in my husband's anyway. It's just a pain when something goes wrong with them, and an even worse pain when you have to fork out more money than you'd like, just to keep them up to scratch. : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Icey

After driving 2 to 5 year old cars for about 3 years, thereafter I used to get a new car every six months to a year.
After I was married, I spread this out to about once every other year, but bought what is known as muscle cars.
The price of cars kept doubling, and the quality kept decreasing, sometimes exponentially.

I wasted a lot of money buying limited edition cars, such as my 1976 Black and Gold TransAm.
You could go to any dealer and buy a '76 TransAm for around 5,200 dollars. But I HAD TO HAVE the Special Edition (Smoky and Bandit version), so paid like 16 thousand dollars to get it. It was unlike other TransAm's in many ways.
The engine itself was not the normal 455 cu in engine, it had a 4 bolt main Hardin Marine Engine, Muncie Aluminum case, Nylon Gears gearbox, Schaeffer RevLox Clutch with Ceramic Clutch Plate, etc.

I quit buying new cars per se, as my business required trucks, and I was rarely in a car. My wife had her own car, and I had a nice truck, plus a few work trucks, only one was purchased new, but as a demo, the parts department used for six months.

Her car was getting up in years, so we began looking around to buy a new car in late 1995. We found none we would part with our money for until late 1996 when the 1997 models came out. This is when we found the Chevrolet Blazers.
In order to get it the way we wanted, we had to custom order the Blazer, and with the special options we wanted, it drove the price from like 24,000 dollars, all the way up to 36,000 dollars.

When the 1999 models came out, the options we had in ours were not available at any price, and we wanted a second one, so started looking to buy a used 1997. There simply was not another one like ours anywhere, and a dealer told us the factory only made like 6 or 7 with the special options we had in ours.
So, up until around 2000 we checked every new SUV by any manufacturer for something we would want.

After I downsized and moved south, flat broke from paying medical bills for my late wife, I started looking for an affordable new car. Never found one! My new wife's son's car was stolen, so we gave him my wife's car and started looking again. All to no avail. I bought her a used GMC Jimmy as a temporary set of wheels while we kept looking, and looking, and looking.

I finally found her a 2002 Blazer, a basic bare bones Blazer with no amenities, with a brand new motor and 3 year warranty. The price was right, and they gave us a fair price for the Jimmy, so we took the deal. Again I planned on her car only being temporary, but for a few years anyhow. Since we now had a second car, I decided to keep mine and put it in the shop for a new motor and a bunch of other work so it would be like new again.

Then we had the severe hailstorm which did a dent customization job to our cars, and hit us so hard it broke 6 roof rafters in our house. So all of our money was now going to fix the house back up. My car may have looked like it had an abundance of dimples, but drove great. Now it's wrecked!

It is doubtful that if I do find a used Blazer I wouldn't mind having, the tire sizes won't match, so my brand new tires won't be able to be swapped out. Trouble is, I'm not finding a Blazer with a Slap-stick anywhere, all of the used ones have column shifters, which won't work for the way I drive.
So, I'm still watching and hunting.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hope you'll drop in lucky Gary.

We don't see many column shifts, as we call them, over here. Almost all're the stick type, but whatever you're after, it's no good if you can't find something with the specs you desire, is it?

It doesn't matter too much to me. It used to be cosmetic stuff, like it had to have the right sort of in-car music player or "fat tyres", etc., but all that's irrelevant now. The main requirement's that a motor does what it's supposed to do - get you from A to B securely, and, well, to look reasonable!. When I first drove, I liked to put my foot down like most young people do, but my children came along early, and their safety was of great importance to me. I slowed right down, to maximise the chance of that, should anyone hit me or vice versa! The only thing which I've hit's been a gatepost when I was reversing! I have the use of a Range Rover model now, which has some very useful features. It's only a couple of year's old so mileage on the clock's still low. It reverts from a 4 wheel drive to a 2, and although I don't know how much it cost as a new vehicle, I know it was a hell of a lot of money. Such figures astound me, but since I wasn't the one forking out for it, I try and ignore that bit!! Also, in comparison to US prices, the UK's can be up to 26% higher than yours, because of our VAT, but I'm not sure where it all stands atm.

Going back to your post, yes, that huge hailstorm you had caused a whole load of woe, didn't it? No one likes to see damage done to their property, but no one can predict what the weather's going to do. A couple of years back, we also had some bad hail storms - although not as bad as yours. Even so, with marble and golf ball-sized hail coming down, it caused problems. We know someone who moved his car into what he saw as the relative safety of a partly-sheltered pub car park during a gale, as he has no garage. In the early hours of the morning, he got a phone call. A tree'd come down in the wind, and landed smack on top of his and another vehicle, causing more damage than the hail might've done, and his insurance wouldn't pay up.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I quit driving OTR with 1.8 million accident free miles, and a $35,000.00 bonus only 200,000 miles away.

I could have run that many miles in under a year without a problem. However, the number of close calls I had during my last six months of driving, dictated I turn in my keys to the big rig.

The government allowed these front wheel drive cars to use our highways and byways, when they should have been outlawed for use on public roads.
As the number of these death traps increased, the number of accidents directly related to them increased.

During my years driving OTR, I witnessed a lot of accidents, 90% of which were someone violated someone else's right-of-way.
But in the couple of years after front wheel drive cars began plaguing the roads, nearly all of the accidents I saw were directly related to the faults inherent in all front wheel drive vehicles.

In a conventional car, if you accelerate or decelerate too fast, your rear tires may lose their friction grip with the road, however, you still have steering and braking capability, since this is primarily handled by the front wheels.
In a front wheel drive car, if you accelerate or decelerate too fast, and lose the friction grip between the tires and the roadway, you have also lost all steering and braking capability as well.

Most of the accidents I saw occurred on a shallow curve, a bend in the road, or when a driver was making a turn.
They may be curving to the right, and suddenly they slide to the left into oncoming traffic, because they lost steering capability when their tires lost their friction grip with the road.

Car makers keep adding more and more computer controlled devices to the cars in a blind attempt to correct a major fault with these hazardous and deadly front wheel drive vehicles. The love them because they can build them cheaper than a real car, yet charge five times more than they are worth. Years of false advertising concerning their safety led the unwary to risk their lives, the lives of anyone riding with them, and the lives of those they may kill by driving such a dangerous weapon.

If anyone cared even the slightest bit about themselves, their family, and the lives of others, they would NEVER buy one of these deadly front wheel drive vehicles!
Icey

Post by Icey »

I was under the impression that front wheel drive cars were safer when driving in snow or icy conditions though Gary, but today, 4WDs seem to be the best all-rounders if you're driving through mud, snow, up hills and so on.