Moving to Canada

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Re: Moving to Canada

Post by Icey »

I really am so sorry to hear all this. I hope that someone with some common sense steps in and wakes everyone up.

You still have a country to be proud of you know, but as happened over here, the public feel so downtrodden and not listened to sometimes, that they lose the impetus to try and change things, or don't know where to start.

Our interest rates're expected to hit a real low very soon. I thought I heard that yours were going to go the same way. Well, there's good news and bad news in that. One of the things it means over here, is that people with an average mortgage of £210,000 (just under $280,000) are going to be better off by over £26 a month (or about $35.50). It doesn't sound a lot, but it is to hard-pressed couples, and it'll come as a welcome relief to many, but of course, savers won't benefit quite so much - although only a few've been able to save anything at all, such was the dire state of employment and rises in every-day living costs.

As for how much gold a person over there can have .... what about those who have gold jewellery worth thousands? Or are you talking in terms of owning bullion?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Nobody knows what Obama has up his sleeve. But back in 1933, only a certain amount of gold jewelry was allowed to be retained, but this excluded heirlooms, and collectible gold coins.
I changed jobs shortly before I got married in 1968, and the companies 1969 Christmas Bonus was paid in Krugerrands.
They were considered collectors coins, so legal to own, and I began amassing them as a security cushion, because I knew I wouldn't spend them.
I held onto all of them until I needed to pay medical expenses for my late wife, and by that time they had more than quadrupled in value. It helped that I had these, but not enough to cover all the medical bills I was strapped with.

I do know a lot of folks who own almost a years wages held in gold bullion.
Several of them are converting their gold to silver, just so it is not taken away from them.
Silver rarely if ever is considered illegal to own.
But as far as the big guns who own millions of dollars in gold, they are fleeing the country.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh dear!!

Wonder what this guy's done then? :eek:

yogi

Post by yogi »

Just in case you decide that you are interested in a Canadian Visa: https://www.canadavisa.com/comprehensiv ... lator.html
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

No Thanks!
I went to college in Canada. UofBC in Vancouver, and UofGuelph in Ontario.
It took me nearly 5 years to THAW OUT and my body return to normal after I got back home again, hi hi...

Got into heap big trouble for getting lost in Superior National Forest also.
They seriously mean it when they say to stay within visible range of the trails, and to check in at the appointed time.
At least we were on one of the trails when they found the four of us, which slightly lessened how much trouble we were in.
Although it was the wrong trail and we were going in the wrong direction. When we heard the carts coming, we had turned to head toward them. Whew! Did they give us a ride back? NO, we still had to walk, but it saved us from getting fined.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Being proficient at French'd be no good to me. I can't get to grips with that language at all.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I tried to take French, since the high skewl wouldn't let me take German because of my ancestry. The dopes! My ancestors spoke more French than German living in the Alsace-Lorraine district.

French is a weird language. So many things they don't have words for, and the phrases they do use are most confusing.
Pomme de Terre for example. A direct translation is Apple of the Earth.
I immediately think of a Road Apple, aka Horse Turd.
All Apples grow on Planet Earth, so what on earth are they talking about.
Let's see an Apple is a Fruit, and it's found on Earth.

Who in their right mind would ever conceive the French meant a VEGETABLE instead of a FRUIT?
A Pomme de Terre is a Potato. Not an Apple, Not a Fruit. As Spock would say, Illogical.

At least Arc en Ciel makes more sense, an Arc in the Sky. Voila, a Rainbow.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Very true! :lol: