Tor Browser

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Tor Browser

Post by yogi »

Go up a few replies from here where I posted a chart that is found on the Tor Browser download page. There are several versions of the browser and you need to pick the version that matches your needs. I'm assuming you will be needing an English browser for Window. :mrgreen:

When you click on the link the download will begin. Exactly where that file is placed depends on how you have your browser configured. It really doesn't matter where you place the downloaded file as long as you know where it is. When the download is complete, click on the file and it will install the Tor browser. You will end up with two icons on your desktop, if I recall correctly. One is the browser itself and ... well ... I forgot what the second one is. Click on the browser icon and you will be using Tor. It's that simple.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh dear! I managed to download it and put it on my desk top. Then googled bfchat.brainformation.com and had to insert a CAPTCHA. I know they were typed in correctly, but all 6 or 7 of them failed to get me anywhere. I got this though:

"This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible.

Sometimes you may be asked to solve the CAPTCHA if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly."

Oh ..... what can I do? : (
yogi

Post by yogi »

First of all, congratulations on getting Tor downloaded and running. I'm proud of you. :mrgreen:

I just did what you did, i.e., started my Tor browser and then navigated to google.com. I searched for "bfchat.brainformation.com" as you say you did and came up with a couple pages for our web site. No error messages from Google were displayed. This tells me that it is possible to use Google with Tor. It does not tell me why you were challenged.

The error reads as if you sent multiple requests to Google in rapid succession. I don't know what you requested, but Google obviously thought you were a robot sending out spam. In order to verify that you are not, they requested you to solve the CAPCHA code. The question is why did all that happen? I can't tell from here but your computer/browser is doing something strange. Or maybe your keyboard enter key is going nuts.

On the Tor browser home page is a space to do some searches using their secure search engine. Google keeps track of who you are and what you search for, and that kind of violates the spirit of using Tor. The search engine provided by the Tor browser doesn't track you so that if you are truly interested in anonymity, don't use Google search. Also, you can try putting our address in the address bar of the Tor browser without searching. Just come here directly since you already know our URL address. That should avoid any misadventures with Google.

Try searching for something other than our web site and see if you get the same warnings. Do the same search in your normal browser to see if you get the same warnings. The idea is to see if you have a problem only with Tor or if it is something about your computer in general. Let me know what you discover.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Thank you. It made me feel panic stricken when I read your reply, so when I'm in a determined mode, I shall do what you've said, but probably not today! : (

I didn't actually send multiple request to google. I got it up, and then typed in bfchat.brainformation.com

The CAPTCHA thing came up straight away, so I entered the letters and it wasn't accepted. I tried several times, with a new set of letters and numbers to type in each time, and none of them worked. Then the above message showed up, so I was stumped.

I'll try putting your address directly into TOR's address bar next time, and then I assume I just click onto it to search?

Anonymity wasn't really the reason I wanted to try it out. It has some good points, but I literally just wanted to download it and have a go - that's all. I found the downloading "not quite straight-forward". It took a few clicks and pauses before I managed it, and now I have 2 of their icons on my desktop! One just says TOR browser, and the other's for starting it - or something! : (

I had difficulty in understanding where to save it to. I've never put anything on the desktop before without help - or after I'd tried doing screen shots, and a picture I'd captured just arrived there somehow!! I must've put it there I suppose, but can't remember how I did it and just thought it'd gone there automatically. Oh dear.

Anyway, I've managed SOMETHING all on my own, however pathetic. I don't want any help from anyone at this end, because it defeats the object, but I know that you're there when I come up against problems that I can't solve - thanks again.

I have no problems when using my normal Firefox browser. I don't get any windows pop up with messages, as I did with the TOR one. Chrome works as well.

Do you suggest that if I want to browse something unrelated to BFC - such as trees, which I often like to look at - that I type it into the TOR address bar, or ... where? I can't remember what the set-up looked like after last night's efforts. I told you I'm rubbish at comprehending these things, and it's true, but sometimes I get annoyed with myself for being so slow on the uptake, so force myself to have a go at stuff, even though I hate doing it. : )

Anyway, TOR's there now, whatever
Icey

Post by Icey »

O .... K ..... well now I've got a bit further, but can't sign in! Managed to get the site up OK., but I changed my password and activated it, as other ones didn't seem to be accepted. Once activated, tried again ... and still can't post! How do I change my password on here, and choose one of my own? Would that then work just the same using the Tor browser? I also tried Icey and Ice. Maiden, but ........
yogi

Post by yogi »

• When you went to the website and downloaded the Tor Browser, an icon was created wherever you designated the destination of the download to be. Presumably it was your desktop, but it could be anywhere on your computer.
  • When you clicked on the onion, the Tor Browser program was installed into a folder called "Tor Browser" You select where you want that folder during installation; it defaults to where the download is, i.e., the desktop in your case.
  • Inside that Tor Browser folder are two more icons. The file labeled Browser contains all the program files for the browser to work. The "Start Tor Browser" icon is what you click to start up the browser.
If at some point you decide you do not want Tor on your computer anymore, just delete the "Tor Browser" folder with the two icons inside it. It will be totally gone then. There is nothing else to uninstall.

A short time after clicking on the shortcut, the Tor browser should connect automatically to the Tor Network. It will then bring up the home page shown below:

Aside from it's anonymity features, the Tor browser acts exactly like a cleaned up version of Mozilla's FireFox. You may enter a URL (web site address) up at the top exactly the same way as you do in any other browser. You may also enter keywords to do a Google search. Google is fine, but it is not secure. That may not matter to you, but it does matter to Tor and most of the people who use this browser. Thus Tor supplies a search box along with a link to something called Disconnect me. Using that search engine disables the tracking information used by Google and others. Again, this may not matter to you, but it is a significant part of the Tor Network experience. You can try searching both ways just to say you can do it.

I want to reiterate that nothing has changed as far as browser functionality goes, aside from the added security settings that Tor makes transparent. Thus, when you come to Brainformation Forums, your login credentials are the same as they always have been. If you do not recall what they are, then you will have a problem logging in. The cookies that remember your name and password do not exist in the Tor Browser until after you have logged in at least one time. You must check the box to save those credentials in the Tor browser, which is exactly what you had to do with any other browser you used for the first time.

Changing your password without being logged in requires that you enter your user name (Icey) and then clicking on "I forgot my password" You will receive an e-mail with a computer generated password. Log in using that. Once you are in you can go to your account profile and change your password to anything you like from there.

I would recommend that you use some lipstick and write your name and password on the bottom portion of your monitor so that you don't run into this problem in the future. :lol:

Or you can write it down on paper and put it in some safe place for future reference.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh lol - thank you. I DID get that window up, and duly followed it to view BFC. Fine. It's just the logging in bit which flummoxes me, because I don't know why the password or user-name wasn't accepted. I changed it and typed it in, but ......

So, let's say that when I try again, I manage to post. Has the password changed to the new one when I use my Firefox browser again, or is it separate because I'm using two different ones?

Good grief. I AM going to get this right - eventually - but it's the initial logging in which's causing the problem, and there was something else which I forget until I go back for another go. I'll keep you updated! : )
Icey

Post by Icey »

:thud:

OH WOW!!!!!!! :redneck: :blimey:

I'm ... here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!

Done it Yogi! :clap:

Thank you so much for your help!
Icey

Post by Icey »

I managed it - at LAST!

I feel like a champion now!

:clap: :loveu: :cheer:

:lol:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Icey wrote:Oh lol - thank you. I DID get that window up, and duly followed it to view BFC. Fine. It's just the logging in bit which flummoxes me, because I don't know why the password or user-name wasn't accepted. I changed it and typed it in, but ......

So, let's say that when I try again, I manage to post. Has the password changed to the new one when I use my Firefox browser again, or is it separate because I'm using two different ones?

Good grief. I AM going to get this right - eventually - but it's the initial logging in which's causing the problem, and there was something else which I forget until I go back for another go. I'll keep you updated! : )

When you change your password, you are changing it in our database. The browser you use is only the messenger. Thus when you make a change it is universal. No matter what browser you use to contact us, you must use the new credentials. And, I had little doubt in my mind that you would arrive here in the Tor browser ... eventually. :lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Took a long time, but .... where there's a will there's a way! : )