Protection From NSA

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Protection From NSA

Post by yogi »

There is a lot of discussion about encryption these days after it has been learned that government security agencies are able to spy on the encrypted communications of their citizens. Whether or not you should be concerned about this potential is a matter of personal choice, or degree of paranoia you might harbor. In any event, it is most likely that the NSA can indeed crack codes it's not telling us about. I don't know how far we can go to protect ourselves against this kind of surveillance, but there is an abundance of advice out on the Internet. I ran across some not so difficult methods of protection against SSL intrusion that may be of interest to our readers. It involves changing a few configuration files on your computer so this is not trivial stuff. But, the instructions are easy to understand and following them might make you feel like you are actually doing something to protect yourself against prying eyes.

THE PROBLEM: https://flipboard.com/topic/encryption/ ... izmodo.com

THE FIX IT TOOL: https://www.howsmyssl.com/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Protection From NSA

Post by Kellemora »

Even if the governments computers read every single post and e-mail made by every computer user, searching for a list of key words to alert them to suspicious activity. It would take them many months to even check into 1% of the red flags, and begin following thousands of dead ends. I don't think they have the manpower or resources to make it worth their trouble of wasting our tax dollars on same.
Has airport security prevented one hijacking yet? They think so, but the proof is in the pudding.
Who was responsible for WTC? We KNOW who they place the blame on! But their explanations defy science and physics. WTC3 was never hit, yet imploded in exactly the same way as WTC 1 & 2. Ooops!
A news station told of the collapse of WTC3 while it was still standing behind her. Ooops!

Why bother to encrypt anything? If you are worried about security, don't broadcast over public services.
Icey

Post by Icey »

*A news station told of the collapse of WTC3 while it was still standing behind her. Ooops!

Yes, that one's a puzzle alright. We saw that as well, and wondered how on earth ...... unless it was a background film of when it WAS still standing ...
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is no valid explanation other than the conspiracy theories. The reporter obviously was part of the plot. :rolleyes:
Then again, I don't see how that relates to the NSA's ability to decipher encrypted messages.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't think the government or the NSA has a problem deciphering anything they chose to. It is probably already all done automatically for them in a split second.

When we toured ORNL and saw their MASSIVE Computing power, it boggled the mind.
They had a few demonstrations which used only like 0.001% of the total computing power to perform.
If done by hand using paper and pencil, they gave an example which would take a team of 100 workers 100 years to accomplish and obtain the answer. Their computer provided the answer in under 10 seconds. Which seems like a lot.

But they did show also, in an ongoing display, another example of something not quite so complicated.
What would take a single individual 10 years to do by hand, a small home desktop computer at 2 gHz would have to run continuously for 120 hours, and a standard business mainframe computer would still take over 40 minutes, they were producing the results of the operation in under 1/4 of a second.]

So, if they wanted to crack an encrypted message, instead of taking months or days, we're talking about nanoseconds to run through all the possibilities and finding the right combination for an entire message.

When one looks down the aisles at all the cabinets lined up which form the Titan computer, and think about how many computers are in each cabinet, and the sheer number of cabinets, I wonder how they find when one of the mobo's goes bad, hi hi...

Architecture
18,688 AMD Opteron 6274 16-core CPUs
18,688 Nvidia Tesla K20X GPUs
Power 8.2 MW
Operating system Cray Linux Environment