What's happened here?

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Icey

What's happened here?

Post by Icey »

I was googling for organic drinks, and up came this .....

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei= ... nic+drinls

Every time I google something, I now get info down the left-hand side of my screen with a big white space from middle to right.
Has google altered its format, or is there something wrong with my computer?? :eek:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: What's happened here?

Post by Kellemora »

Looks the same to me as it always has Icey.
Have you accidentally zoomed in too small from what you used to use?
yogi

Post by yogi »

The ads normally appear in the column on the right. Since you apparently are not seeing ads, you may be running some kind of ad blocking program on your computer.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Funny you should mention that Yogi. I tried to install Adblock because it was removed at one stage and I was sick of ads flashing up again. It hasn't shown up at the top near the address bar or anywhere else though, and I'm still finding annoying ads for some reason.

Gary - how weird! I've just clicked onto the link again, and yes, everything looks normal. Google was OK again this morning. I'll try and show you how my screen looked last night ....

EXAMPLE:
Organic drinks
for your
health. BIG WHITE SPACE
Try our
new range
of ......

The text was all in 2 or 3 words down the left-hand side of the screen as you look at it. Vacant stare. : )
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

OK, I think I know what you mean Icey...

I have one person who lives in another country who when she posts, the entire new feed only has like a four word limit before it wraps. Leaving A LOT OF WHITE SPACE to the right, and making it very hard to read. I only see two to three posts per page when that happens.

I asked what it was she was writing in the margin causing it, and she said it is not her, it is done automatically. Everything they post from that country MUST give the content in their language, and it appears as a string to the right of her posts. And when the strings are long, with no white space, it doesn't wrap and forces the entire newsfeed to the left. Sorta like turning a two column page into a three column page. A royal mess.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Thanks Gary, but why should that happen?

This was just browsing on UK sites, but whatever, it's now returned to normal.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think lines without white space is what causes it to mess up.

I have a friend who is pulling his hair out over his own website.
One of the main pages with links to all of his other pages is suddenly coming up white.
If you move your mouse around, you can see the links to the other pages, but if you access them from the page with the links, they too come up white. If you access them from the index, they come up OK, all except the main page for a particular category.

The odd thing about it is, he has something like a dozen main pages off the landing page, and all but this one main page works just fine. It used to work OK, now it doesn't, and he can't figure out why.

I've gone to his website from four different computers, using six different OSs, including Windows, and using three different browsers on each. All of them show a white screen on that page, and any page you link to from it. Weird.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Glad I don't have the problem any more, but it just looked weird to have 3 or 4 words show up on the left-hand side of the screen, and then nothing more to the middle or right.
I don't know how to take screen shots, otherwise I'd have posted one, but I think you and Yogi knew what I meant.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If you want to learn how to make screen shots in Windows, I can be persuaded to post a brief tutorial. :grin:
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think you posted one once before Yogi, but as per, I was getting stuck in following it. : (

I'd love you to post one, but I'm afraid it'd have to be in extremely simple and exact steps.

As an aside, I "taught" Tomsk how to copy and paste a pic from google images recently, so there ARE one or two people worse off than me when it comes to comprehending! My kids's do a face palm if they knew how slow I am on catching up though. No - sorry, they already know! : )

OK - screen shots it is then ......
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are correct about my publishing a "how-to" on our now archived neo.brainformation web site. This is the link: http://neo.brainformation.com/viewtopic ... 10&t=10907
You will need to log in in order to see the topic because it is not visible to guest visitors.

The good news is that there is a MUCH simpler way to capture what you see on your monitor in Windows 7. I will create that tutorial shortly and publish instructions in this forum.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Thank you.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You mean Windows still don't use the Button on the keyboard named Print Screen?

Heck in Linux you just hit the Print Screen button to capture the entire monitor image, ALT Print Screen to capture the entire browser window, or CTRL Print Screen to capture only what is displayed within the browser. If doing so from a browser that is. Then there is SHIFT Print Screen, ALT SHIFT Print Screen, CTRL SHIFT Print Screen, and also using the Windows Key with the Print Screen button, and Shift Windows Key Print Screen. Heck, I forgot what most of them do now, since I just use Print Screen, then edit the image to what I was after.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I just checked the link Yogi placed above.
So many steps to save a screenshot in Windows.
In Linux, when you hit the Print Screen button, the image is automatically saved to a folder, normally the pictures folder unless you told it to save elsewhere, and a copy is on your clipboard too. You also preset how you want it saved, png is default, but you can choose jpg, tif, bmp, etc.
I hope Windows 10 simplified taking a simple screen shot, hi hi...
yogi

Post by yogi »

The instructions for making screen shots that you see in the archive represent only one way to go about things. The standard PrtSc key is still used in all versions of Windows including 10. The instructions given here are simple and involve only one process which is ideal for people who are not comfortable with all the options or why you would want to use them. Being an old time computer user, you must know by now that anything can be made to be complicated. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hey hey, I'm past master at making the simple complex, the easy complicated.

I had things I was doing for years that when an IT guy came to fix something for me, he said, you can't do that, it won't work.
Yes it does, been doing it over four years now without a single problem, until now.

What I was doing is sorta stacking KVM switches. Not really, I'll explain.
I have four computers connected to a 4-port KVM switch, the proper way, and everything is working as it should.
Which ever computer I wanted to use, the keyboard, mouse, and monitor were the ones at my workstation. Normal.

I then took a 2-port KVM switch and used ONLY the video connector so I could switch between the in-desk monitor or the large monitor above the desk. Since no keyboard or mouse was connected to it, I had to press the A or B button manually. In other words it was not using a driver in the computer to switch the monitors.

When I got a new computer, I didn't need to do this anymore, because the mobo had three video outputs. So, when I was on the computer I wanted displayed up top, it was also displayed inside my desk on that monitor, which was actually better for me at the time.
Even so, there are times when I wish I could display one computer on either of the top monitors and my working computer on the one inside my desk, but still be able to use a keyboard or mouse while keeping the displays where they are.
I'm told this can be done, but the cost makes it not feasible.

FWIW: Now that Win10 has been out for a while, and I've talked to several service shops. All of them are saying the only way on Win10 to use my dedicated LANs is to either name them all WORKGROUP, which would mess up everything, or upgrade to Win10Pro so I can access them by the name of the LAN. Or stick with how I found a workaround for the problem by using an external drive on the Win10 machine as a shared drive and copy from the LAN to the individual folders on the drive so the Win10 user knows which LAN the copy of the file came from.

If Win8.1 worked perfectly, as far as the LAN goes, the Win10 upgrade should NOT have broke what was working.
To me, this means Win10 is a DOWNGRADE from Win7 or 8, or 8.1... Shameful situation!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Gary ~ Many of the solutions you apply to your computer/networks are based on cost, and rightly so. The lowest cost option, however, is not always the best solution to a given problem. The reason why equipment and software is tiered is to provide end users with options that go above and beyond the basic functions. Your network solution is a good example of what I'm talking about. I personally would go the more expensive overkill route, but I don't have the same budget that you have. In some ways that's a shame because I don't have a need to be creative or find alternate methods. If I want something to work my way, I'll pay through the nose to get whatever it takes which is the lazy man's way of solving problems. The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, complex and complicated as it is. It works for you and you get to exercise your inventiveness in the process.

I empathize with you, by the way, by seeing some of the progress in software and hardware as being retrograde in motion. The truth is that new and better methods are often incorporated with the bleeding edge technology, meaning that you need to do away with the old methods. It's broke for you and a step backwards, but it's an improvement for others who have different needs.

When you described your network issues on Windows 10 the first thought that came to my mind was to use multiple NIC cards. Each card can address a different domain and you would not have to rename anything. Then again, I know it will work in the Pro version but not sure about Home editions. A more esoteric solution would be to go the domain controller route, which is a Windows server solution. I'm not sure what it can do with Linux or even if it can do Linux. Either way there is a cost involved. You minimized the up front costs, but probably increased the operation cost in that more time is needed to do things the way you improvised.

I'm not going to make any suggestions about your KVM situation. I have visions of what we called a rat's nest in the back end of our server room at Motorola. I still have nightmares. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Going WAY BACK to when I had a WANG VS System. From the main console, I could view what was on the screen on any workstation in our building. This makes sense because they were nothing but dumb terminals and only displayed what was coming from the mainframe to their workstation.

Compared to today, all it was doing was looking at the servers home directory for each user and displaying the Desktop File for that user through what is now more like SSH I guess.

Just because I get something to work right for me, when it won't work the way it is supposed to work, doesn't mean I really know what I'm doing, or why it happens to work if I do it that way.

I simple example is the difference between sharing a folder or partition using Samba, which has many limitations. Or mounting the folder or partition on your local machine, which has far fewer limitations.
It took me close to five years before I learned how to set up my computers to save a file to a remote hard drive partition on an external drive. When it works, it is easy to set up, when it doesn't for some reason, I'm lost for many months trying to figure out why it is not working.

Back when I had a hard drive in one of my brothers computers in St. Louis, so I could save files to it using RSync, I'm not the one who set it up and got it working, and it was all done automatically for me each day.
With what little I've learned in setting up my own remote drives, I don't know how it possibly worked as long as it did, considering I changed computers twice, using the same hard drive, and we added a new larger drive at my brothers once that I remember for sure. So the guy who set it up must have done something to emulate static IP addresses while allowing the servers to still chose their own. Or that is what it appears like to me.

Every time I reboot our router, or the electric goes out and the computers are rebooted. I have to go through each computer, get their new IP addresses and use the new addressed to Mount the Folders so I can save to them.
I don't need Samba to do this, because it is not using the file sharing system.

I still do not know why sometimes a Mounted Folder shows it saved the data, and when I check it is not there on the remote machine. I'm supposed to get an error message if it only saved to the Mount Point folder on my machine.
I guess I'll never learn the why's when things don't work right one time, and work right the next.

As leery as I am of storing things in the cloud, I really don't have anything considered top security anymore.
I'm already using Dropbox for some things, and Google has all of my passwords and bookmarks in the cloud now too.
This is handy as I can move from computer to computer and not have to remember anything anymore, hi hi...

I wonder if what is done on monster computers with several servers in different areas of the country can be done on a small home LAN. I was told they don't have to back up data, because a copy is on every ?Node? and if one goes down, it will rebuild when it comes back up again.