Another Topic

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Another Topic

Post by yogi »

Please forgive my OCD tendencies to try and limit topic drift. Here is something from a previous post of yours that deserves topic space of it's own.
Kellemora wrote:Remember Google's BIG PUSH for everyone to make their websites Mobile Friendly, so we wouldn't lose ranking, AND so that Mobile Friendly sites would get the "Mobile Friendly" line along with their listings.
Have you seen any marked "Mobile Friendly"? I haven't, and don't know anyone who has.
I have not seen the promised notation in Google searches in regard to responsive web site design. It was my understanding from the intimidating language in their original notice that the search process would continue as usual, but mobile unfriendly sites would be tagged. This tagging would be internal and consistent with Google's goal to provide user specific and relevant results. Google did say they would be adding notations to their search results pointing out sites that are not mobile friendly, but I can imagine a lot of folks out there got on Google's case and objected vehemently. The result is that not only is that threatening notification absent, but there are also a lot of web sites out there which are not and will not be responsive. I think Google had the right and responsibility to encourage people to come up to speed with 2015 web design technology. It's their business after all is said and done. But reality obviously caught up with them.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Another Topic

Post by Kellemora »

I had a special code to append to my html file from Google (after passing their big mobile friendly test) which in the documentation stated something like "The words 'Mobile Friendly' will now appear with your listing."

As you said back when we were talking about this, regardless of whether my authors website was mobile friendly or not, it would not drop in ranking since I'm the only one with that name. I still cover four pages of hits.

I did notice a drop in placement on my personal website, but it passed as mobile friendly on the small test, a couple of errors on the big test.

Now with Comcast kicked all of us off, and I've moved my pages to a new host, I still have not had the time to go change my links everywhere. Nor write up a redirect page to place on Comcast, and time is running out fast.

I know many websites, due to their nature, could not be viewed or used on a mobile phone.
Take for example the many games played by going through Farcebook to get to them.
You couldn't see what to do on a small tablet sized screen, much less a cell phone size screen.
Although, with some of the new video technology I've seen, a single eyepiece no larger than a dime, appears to the user to be as big as an indoor movie theater screen from the front row. But then too, it is less than 1/2 inch away from your eye. Lasers burning into your retina, hi hi...