Web Site Hosting Service

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Web Site Hosting Service

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi

Do you have a suggestion for a web hosting service?

If not, I'll probably go with GoDaddy.
In my search, I checked HostGator and several others.

I want to MAKE SURE I own my Domain Name this time, so if I want to change host providers, I don't have to pay them to take my domain name with me. This is how I lost my old domain name when I moved south. I got the discount one from the ISP who registered it as theirs, then tried to soak me big bucks to take it with me.
Since Comcast would not let us use a domain name on a personal web page with them, I quit fighting to get it back.

I'm thinking, they probably quit paying for it, and it might be in the pool again. I don't want to check though, until I can pay for it and have a place to park it while I find a web host.

You've seen my web pages, not much to them, no shopping carts, no side script other than BootStrap.js and css.
So it's not like I need a big commercial web host, hi hi...
But since I've never done this before, I'm asking for your honest opinion on which might be the best for me. I don't need one with their own templates, like wordpress templates, since I have my own html5 upload.

Thanks for your input.

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Re: Easy Question, I hope.

Post by yogi »

The first and only time I needed a web host and a domain name was for this site. We have been around for ten years and I've never had reason to look for a different provider. I'll admit that I had some issues with their tech support people, but that came about only because I used to do their job at one time. Even when that happened they quickly escalated the problem; the team manager and I became good buddies. LOL

Anyway, I have experience with 3essentials so that I only can speak about what I like over there. The service plans at 3essentials are very reasonably priced. There are not forced ads, nor templates I must use. They do have site builder apps, but you do not need to use them. This site is costing less than $9/mo and I get quite a few things for that. I requested a Linux server because I knew I didn't like the Front Page crap on Windows servers. I was interested in server side php and MySQL database handling. They had that and more. The kind of scripting you use isn't even an option. It's part of the basic setup. I'm allowed two domain names hosted from this one plan. Server disk space and the amount of traffic is unlimited. FTP is the way to get files up and down from the server. Plus, there is a host of utilities to chart traffic. Subdomains might be limited, but I know I can create at least eight if I had to. All this is part of the plan.

The only down side for you might be the web based server control panel where you get to pick and choose some options and how to set them up. There is a file manager if you want it, but I use Filezilla to transfer data, create/delete directories, and handle permissions. Multiple FTP accounts are allowed but ten years ago it was not intuitively obvious how to set them up correctly. The help desk was actually very helpful in this regard.

In any case, the plan I have is a "small business" plan, or some such thing, and it's awesome. You can get cheaper hosting from the likes of GoDaddy and HostGator, but I'd be very surprised if you can get all the features that I have ad free. 3essentials is supported by your monthly fee, which in my case is not a contract. We live from month to month. I believe your web site(s) would easily fit into the kind of plan I have.

Oh, and e-mail is part of the hosting service. There too I know I can have at least ten accounts but maybe it's unlimited. I have had up to six going for this site but am down to four at the moment.

3essentials also offers a domain registry service. This is a true registry service which gives you ownership of the name for the term of the lease. If you want to pay a little extra, you can get anonymous registration, which means your identity will not show up in WHOIS. They make it easy for you to host your domain on one of 3essential's servers, but it's not a requirement. I registered a few domains for friends who gave me DNS information so that their site can be run from other than 3essentials servers. The 3essentials domain registry is truly a separate entity within one company. You can go there after you read this, register a domain name, and park it if you like. Then you can go find a hosting company.

Tech support is via web site only. At least I've never been given a phone number I can use. While this is a slight inconvenience, I have nothing but good words for the help desk team. As I mentioned above we have had differences in opinion, but they consistently have gone out of their way to help me. They have done several things to set up this site, for example, when I had to switch servers.

Last, and certainly the least important factor, is that you have a friend who uses 3essential services. I would be more than happy to help you set things up and administer what needs to be done server side. I'm sure there are things I have no clue about, but hey. It's free advice. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Web Site Hosting Service

Post by Kellemora »

Thank you Yogi, I will be glad to check them out.
I've not heard good things about GoDaddy, although they have excellent up-time, they keep adding small fees for this that and the other thing which has irked a lot of their subscribers.
HostGator is the one who did not respond to their on-line live chat session.

I get confused when I read the package offerings each one I've checked so far publish.
I'm used to doing uploads and web site maintenance using FTP. I preferred GFTP, but am now using FileZilla, which requires an extra step GFTP didn't, but it is basically the same otherwise.

As you know, I have nothing fancy on my website, or they wouldn't be on Comcast's PERSONAL web space area.
You have server needs for database and side scripting which I probably would never need, running a forum with passwords and file storage, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to determine how much space and ?throughput? and ?bandwidth? I am currently using. Because this is the same question asked by the live chat person on the hosting websites I've contacted.
I found one website host who said if I'm not using side-server scripts, databases, and have less than 100 hits to my website per day, I should be able to get a minimal 25 dollar a year package, since I'm not much more than small storage.

My problem is, I don't know the answers to the questions they are asking yet. I have to get that data from Comcast, and if I do, it could save me a bundle of money. One guy even said I truly don't need more than a 10 dollar a year account. Well, actually he said a 99 cent a month account paid annually. But I need those numbers to give them. What I worry about though is like cell phone plans, if you go over your allocation, they soak you big time for the overage.

Thanks for the info Yogi, I will check into 3essential services also!

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

The plan I have provides all the services and server capability that I need for this site, which isn't much as far as web sites go. The very first plan I had with 3 essentials was for "hobbyists" which was slightly less feature rich, but it was about three times the price. The price was the reason I switched to something more than i'd ever need.

I think you can indeed get by with something a lot less than what I am using here. Unless you know otherwise, guesstimate that your site gets 2 hits a day. How much can they download? 25% of your total site size? Maybe 2GB of data a month - even that might be a lot. The people you are talking to should know what they have to offer and not need a lot of technical information from you. You could try going with a minimum package and if you discover that you need more, you can upgrade. The thing that I like about our service is that there is no limit to the number of hits nor to the data transfers nor to the amount of space we take on their server. You would be able to get an annual rate for all this, but it's not going to be easy to beat $25/yer. LOL

The other thing to consider is the user interface. I've used only a few web servers and the front end on the "free" and cheap ones are typically restrictive in some way. For example, some will not allow FTP of any flavor and you may be forced to use their GUI that may or may not be user friendly. Another consideration is that you will be on a shared server. The discount plans may have a lot of shares and thus cause your site to run slow. Your Internet connection speed is more than you need, but will their server be able to match it if 300 other web sites are using it simultaneously? As you can tell I'm a little bit hesitant to go with cheap, but then my needs are not anywhere near what you want to do.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi - No offense, but the hosting service you are using is way to advanced for my needs.
I just needed a little personal webspace, and actually hit a wonderful deal. Unlimited Everything, well almost.
It is a Shared Service, but large enough there should be no slow downs for my type of pages.

I decided to go with 1&1 for several reasons, firstly I was referred to them by three different folks I trust. I don't think any of them knew they are run on CitiCorp servers, which would have sent me running had I knew this up front. Me and CitiCorp have had a few run-ins in the past.

They managed to get my old original URL back, but not the shorter version as a dot com. The short version was available as a dot net, but when they went back to get it after parking my dot com, somebody snatched it up, so I guess I'll get an offer to buy it from a scammer, hi hi.

Nevertheless, for 99 cents per month (for the first year of course) they offer:
Unlimited webspace, Unlimited web sites; 100 e-mail accounts; 1 FREE Domain name (through ICANN in YOUR NAME, not theirs, no charge to take it when I leave them either, because "I" own it); 600 mb RAM, etc.
This was cheaper than their basic 3.99 per month limited service both short term and over a three year period. The 99 cent service goes up to 6.99 in one year unless I earn credits for bringing them new members.

I do have a serious problem though, which I sent them an e-mail to address for me, but I probably sound like an idiot because I must be missing something here.
At my old ISP before Comcast, I had three websites all under the same Domain Name, but each had their own URL which looked like my Comcast URL, basically classichauslimited.com/raiar and classichauslimited.com/handymenders.
When I went with Comcast I had to use their Domain name: home.comcast.net/~classichauslimited, and home.comcast.net/~dutch-rhudy

Here is what threw me for a loop. My main Domain Name is of course: classichauslimited.com
I created two sub-domains and they had to be formatted this way.
stonebrokemanor.classichauslimited.com, and roaringfalls.classichauslimited.com

I uploaded my Dutch Rhudy website, identical to how it is on Comcast to: roaringfalls.classichauslimited.com
All went as planned.
When I got ready to upload my personal website to: stonebrokemanor.classichauslimited.com, I found the Roaring Falls website filed under this second sub-domain already, even though FTP showed it as a separate webpage. I also checked my main Domain name, classichauslimited,com and Roaring Falls is under it as well.

I figured I would have to make a new page for the main domain name, but never expected separate sub-domain names to be interlinked.
The nearest I can figure, I probably need a Folder for each sub-domain, and then link the longer domain name to the folder. When I tried using html redirect, it said you cannot redirect to source. So I'm missing something here, hi hi...

I studied their examples and they showed a main domain with sub-domains for Blog, Forum, Archives, which I'm sure were only pages linked from the main URL.
So, what is the purpose of sub-domains other than other names you can use to send folks to your main landing page with a different url header in their browser url bar.

If I sent you to get a Fork, and you didn't know what a Fork looked like, this is the boat I'm in, hi hi...

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

Gary -
It looks like you have two issues here: redirects and subdirectories. I have limited experience with both and as usual that won't stop me from writing advice as if I knew what I was talking about. :lol:

I can't tell from your description why you are getting the error message with your redirects. It sounds like it is telling you that you cannot redirect back to where you are coming from - infinite loop? The implication is that whatever you are doing to execute the redirection is not formed well or that you are redirecting to a device that cannot accept the command, a text file for example. I have never attempted redirection other than by direct links so that I don't know exactly what to suggest. Apparently several methods to accomplish redirection exist: meta tags, javascript, and direct links. I also think it can be done via .htaccess if your host is using apache software. The best approach is to use all the methods to cover variations is client side software (browsers). You might find this discussion on Stackoverflow to be helpful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5411 ... -html-page

Regarding subdomains:

The directory pictured on the left is the root directory of brainformation.com account on our host's server. Oddly enough our web site is not in the /www directory but in the /public_html directory which has been expanded on the right side. When you go to brainformation.com you end up on our home page that is the index page containing our portal - or what I call a portal. You can't see the index.html page in the above image but it and a few others are right under the /Yogi directory. Technically speaking the /public_html directory is the root directory of our domain.

You will note there are three subdirectories which translate into being three subdomains. Those directories were created via the hosting service control panel. I supplied the name and they create the directory. It's not a simple matter of just adding a directory. What makes it a subdomain is some behind the scene configuration done server side. My guess is they have a local DNS server that gets updated with each change in domains/subdomains. I'm sure that a subdomain can be created manually by simply adding a new directory to the root. But then you would have to submit a service request to get your host to configure their DNS server manually too. The point in all this is that any sub.domain needs to be resolved to a physical location, and that requires configuration on the server.

It's easy to see the structure of our domain from the above graphic. We end up with four URL's:
  • /brainformation.com
    /arch.brainformation.com
    /BFchat.brainformation.com
    /neo.brainformation.com
The root directory is for our home page and it's supporting documents. Each of the three subdomains has a complete copy of the phpBB software to run each individual site. Since the URL's are different for each subdomain, I see no problem redirecting to them automatically from the root directory if that is what I wanted to do. I choose to do it manually with direct links because I want to give the casual viewer a choice.

I don't know the mechanism you need to use in order to accomplish the same thing. Each hosting service has it's own protocol. In theory it's simple and the host should do all the dirty work configuration.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thank you Yogi! Believe it or not, this helps a lot.

It looks to me like a sub-domain is basically no different than a sub-directory, except by using a sub-domain a search engine sees it as a separate website AND you can have an index.html in the folder.
Using a link like this: classichauslimited.com/roaringfalls would be a dead link without naming the file to open or run.
So it would actually have to be classichauslimited.com/roaringfalls/index.html to work.
But, using roaringfalls.classichauslimited.com will automatically look for an index.html file to run in the roaringfalls folder.

ClassicHausLimited.com (Root Directory no extra folder named ClassicHausLimited)
..gfx
..style
..arhives
..index.html
..RoaringFalls.classichauslimited.com (Using a Folder named RoaringFalls)
....gfx
....style
....blog
....archives
....index.html
..StoneBrokeManor.classichauslimited.com (Using a Folder named StoneBrokeManor)
....gfx
....style
....blog
....archives
....index.html

I have not tried the above yet to see what happens, but to me it sounds logical.
I did not create a folder when I created the sub-domain names.
From reading the different help files, it appears everything is separate, such as creating the sub-domain name does simply that, creates the name itself, and with no folder in my root directory named roaringfalls, it defaulted to classichauslimited at root.

In summary: Using a sub-domain name URL causes index.html to run in the folder without having to include it in the URL name, as when using the DomainName/foldername/filename. So, I just need foldername.domainname, and away we go. I hope I understand this correctly, hi hi...

Thanks for your help again Yogi!

I only get 100 e-mail boxes at this level, pshaw, I really need unlimited e-mail boxes at the next level up, NOT, hi hi...
I have enough trouble keeping track of two e-mails.
I understand why so many as my brother uses hundreds of e-mail addresses, his salesmen and vendors each have one they are supposed to reply to.

Have a great day!

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

Close, but as they say, "No cigar." :mrgreen:

The first thing to keep in mind is that web server software (probably the http protocol, but I'm not sure) looks for an index file when pointed to ANY directory. If an index.html or index.htm exists, then that file is read automatically without a need to specify it in the URL. If an index file does not exist, then the server will list the contents of the directory if the viewer has permissions to see it. This can be used to your advantage by placing an blank index.html page, or one with a cute little generic message, in each directory of your web site. A stray visitor will see the blank index page instead of the contents of the directory. While this is a cute trick, it's not as safe as changing permissions on directories/files you do not want the public to view.

The second thing to keep in mind is that each directory in your domain is in effect a subdomain. In your case classichauslimited.com is the domain in question. RoaringFalls and StoneBrokeManor are thus directories as well as subdomains. However, a DNS server will not be able to find .RoaringFalls.classichauslimited.com or StoneBrokeManor.classichauslimited until it's routing tables are updated. Configuring the DNS server is what turns a simple directory into a subdomain.

Thus, http://www.RoaringFalls.classichauslimited.com/ and http://www.classichauslimited.com/RoaringFalls/ will get you to the same place if your subdomain is configured in your host's DNS server.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi

Right now, if I type roaringfalls.classichauslimited.com in an URL bar. It does come up. Also comes up if I leave off the roaringfalls part too, because I've not yet moved roaring fall from the root directory to a folder.

My thoughts are to make a very simple landing page for the main domain name, classichauslimited.com, as you said, a fairly plain index.html page. Perhaps with a table of links to other directories as I get them finished.

Working full-time leaves me little play time anymore, hi hi...

Because my Comcast website was set up as home.comcast.net/~dutchrhudy, I may use dutchrhudy or dutch-rhudy.classichauslimited.com for the roaring falls website. Then later when I do finally publish the roaring falls series, use the roaringfalls.classic, etc.

I hate long URL names, but most of the time, it is used as a link anyhow, so folks don't have to type it.

Received the first and only invoice I will see for a year. After discounts were applied, my credit card will be billed for $11.88. The $14.95 for obtaining the Domain Name from ICANN was also waived, probably because they got it cheaper, hi hi. But, if I want to cancel before my 30 days are up, I will have to pay like $35.00 to keep the domain name, then 14.95 per year to the ICANN registry agent. I've probably worded it all wrong, but this was the first thing I checked, WHO owns the domain name. I didn't want stuck like I was once before by taking a free or low cost domain name, only to find out it was registered in the sellers name instead of my name.

Thanks for all your help, and I'll get hopping on getting my new sites set up to see what other snags I may run into.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I forgot to mention, on their set-up page, the reason I had a loop back on myself when trying to create the subdomain was simply I didn't know what I was doing. Now when I create a subdomain, the box which was blank at first, now shows the directory folders in my root file. So, I can create a subdomain like roaringfalls, and point it to a folder named roaringfalls in the root directory.

I need to get working on it, now...

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can see you domain but not the subdirectories. Either you haven't uploaded them yet or their DNS records have not propagated over the Internet yet. You should not have to worry about the old Comcast names or directory structures. All you need to do is copy your website content to the new directories on the 1&1 server. You might have to update some links if you still refer to Comcast in them, but the rest of the site should work well just by uploading it.

Looks to me like you own the lease on the domain name :mrgreen:
FROM: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/domain_hosting_view.html
Raw Domain Information
Domain ID:
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.1and1.com
Registrar URL: http://1and1.com
Updated Date:
Creation Date: 2015-07-20T15:20:39Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-07-20T15:20:39Z
Registrar: 1&1 Internet AG
Registrar IANA ID: 83
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@1and1.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: #######
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Gary V Deutschmann Sr
Registrant Organization: Classic Haus Limited LC
Registrant Street: 934 Valley Drive
Registrant Street: Plaza Park Centre
Registrant City: Knoxville
Registrant State/Province: TN
Registrant Postal Code: 37920
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: #######
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: ClassicHausLimited@comcast.net
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Gary V Deutschmann Sr
Admin Organization: Classic Haus Limited LC
Admin Street: 934 Valley Dr
Admin Street: Plaza Park Centre
Admin City: Knoxville
Admin State/Province: TN
Admin Postal Code: 37920
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: #######
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: ClassicHausLimited@comcast.net
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Hostmaster ONEANDONE
Tech Organization: 1&1 Internet Inc.
Tech Street: 701 Lee Rd.
Tech Street: Suite 300
Tech City: Chesterbrook
Tech State/Province: PA
Tech Postal Code: 19087
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: #######
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:#######
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: hostmaster@1and1.com
Nameserver: ns-us.1and1-dns.com
Nameserver: ns-us.1and1-dns.us
Nameserver: ns-us.1and1-dns.de
Nameserver: ns-us.1and1-dns.org
DNSSEC: Unsigned
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2015-07-22T22:13:38Z <<<
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi
Thank for looking this up and posting it so I can see it.
I wonder what "client Transfer Prohibited" means???
I have no folders for the subdirectories in my root file yet.
Working full-time, taking the frau to the doc, and myself to the doc tomorrow, then trying play catch-up at work, sorta put a damper on things for a couple of days.
You should have seen the Roaring Falls website up regardless of what subdomain name you used, as they default to the main domain, or did when I checked from another computer.
I'm also trying to write a simple web page for the root directory index.html and forgot a lot of stuff.

You've seen how I add documentation notes to my web pages so I remember what each thing was for.
Well, doing so prevents you from hiding entire sections of a web page while you are working on it.

Every place where I used <!-- message -->
unless I go through and start with <!-- then right before the next <!-- add a --> it won't work, and I have hundreds of notations in my pages.

The frau said this is an excellent time to separate Roaring Falls, since it has not yet published, from my other works.
We talked about this for a little bit. Since I can have more sub-domains, and I've been using Dutch Rhudy on my previous website, she thinks I should stick with that for now. Makes sense to me.
Put everything about the author found on the Roaring Falls website under Dutch Rhudy along with his published works. And since Roaring Falls is the name of a series under development, build it separately, but still talk about it in my blog pages on the Dutch Rhudy site.
In other words, she's adding even more work for me to do, hi hi...

I'm not used to having so much freedom to do things differently than I was allowed to do them on Comcast, hi hi...

It's 7pm and I've not had dinner or hit my other to-do things for today yet.
Have a great evening Yogi!

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/e ... Prohibited

There is a link right after the Domain Status entry. I used that link to get the information in the image. :mrgreen:

I understand now why I don't see your subdomains.

The <!-- notes to self --> is a standard HTML structure. It messes up sometimes when you put code between the tags instead of plain text. You might have to nest the tags to completely hide certain persistent coding, which is a pain in the drain. I've been known to just ctrl+x sections of a web page and paste them into a temporary document until I need them again. The cut and paste approach is sometimes easier than adding and deleting the comment tag notation.

If all you need is something simple for an index page, there has to be a few million free templates you can download for that purpose. But I have a feeling you are looking for something a little beyond simple. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi

Thanks again. Now I wonder what they mean by 'update the domain.'

I did a search on-line and found a different definition than you provided above.
A Registar is the Client of ICANN, not the person holding the Registration to the Domain Name.
What I read said, the Client cannot change the status of the Domain Name without the Registered Owners permission.
Once the purchase of the domain name was made through the Registrar, it is out of their control.
I should have made a copy to cut n paste, because wording can sometimes be confusing.

People (like me) visiting websites, often check the main domain name by truncating what comes before and after it in the URL. For this reason, I want a page for my main domain name that is informational, and with links to the other sub-domains, almost like my web pages currently point to other files.
Since I forgot so much of the coding, again, I figured I would use my existing web page and change the background and images, kill all the existing links and make the text not visible, until I know what I want to link to.

I did glance at a couple of templates and figured I could do better faster to get a temporary page up.
Then I realized I have so much I forgot, I'll just stick with what I have and modify it.
This is where I end up with a div too many, hi hi...

Working full-time really cuts into my time to work on it too.

Have a great day!

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

This is my understanding of domain names:
  1. A domain registry is a database that is maintained by a registry operator. I didn't realize until I looked it up, but each top level domain i.e., com, .net, .gov, etc., is managed by different organizations.
  2. A registrar is often a third party who trades in domain names, but it can be handled directly by the registry operator as well.
  3. A registrant is the party who owns the domain name and is responsible for what goes on therein.
  4. DNS hosting is actually separate and apart from all the above. All relevant information about a domain is kept on DNS servers, which is how that list of information I posted above was obtained.
  5. ICANN is the organization that oversees the rules for all this domain name business.
Apparently 1&1 is not only hosting your web site, but they are also dealing in the buying and selling of domain names. Additionally, they are offering DNS hosting, meaning that they are keeping the records about your domain. Like anyone in this kind of business, they must follow the conventions set down by ICANN.

The key to understanding why you are not allowed to update your domain information is the fact that it is stored on DNS servers maintained by 1&1. It makes sense that they would not want anybody messing around with their servers unless they know about it first. Truth is that you can modify your domain name information, but you have to get permission from 1&1 to do it.

As it happens, you don't have to use the DNS servers from 1&1. You can actually do your own DNS record keeping and modify what you want any time you want. Doing that is risky but it is technically and legally possible. You can also get DNS service from any number of commercial organizations, Google being one of them. The reason why people change is because some DNS servers are quicker and better maintained than others. The vast majority of us just take what is handed to us by our ISP or web hosting service.

From what I can tell, you are the registrant and 1&1 is the registrar and DNS server provider.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thank you Yogi

Very beneficial and helpful information to know.
I probably should NOT have created the two sub-domains I did the first day I got my account set up.
Although there is no charge for doing so, I can do 100 of them. I did notice they list each sub-domain name on my invoice along with data about it. Invoice is zeroed out behind them.

I did not have the options at Comcast I have here, so am rethinking how my web pages were set up, most were just carry over from previous years, updated and added to over time.

As usual, the advertisements to do my web pages for me came rolling in as soon as the DNS servers showed my new account.
Not that I would use them, some provided some interesting information, and gave domain file listings, like you did a few posts up.
In an effort to get me to use them, one of these advertisers showed a convoluted web site they cleaned up for their client.
Based on what I saw there about the original web site, I think both of mine are just as convoluted, hi hi...
I have way too many different things going on on both of my web sites. My personal web site for example has internal links to pages about my aquarium product, pages to family newsletters, pages to a bible download area, etc.
In other words, everything on my web site emanated from a single index.html page.
I thought I did it well. But you know as well as I do, how much work it was to keep all those linked pages updated. One change on one meant I had to go through and make the same change to fourteen other pages.

I plan to upload my existing personal page, and my authors page to the sub-domains I already created, sometime this weekend, and then worry about dividing and rebuilding the convoluted mess later, as I have more time to work on each. And of course, relearn all the HTML5 and Bootstrap coding I have forgotten already.

Is technology going backwards, in a way?
I'm thinking way back to when we used dial-up BBS services.
Due to the limited space, each topic was set up as a different bulletin board.
Due to cost, some of us used only one phone-in number, and displayed an index of links on the home page.
As the World Wide Web grew and we migrated over to it, again, due to space, we basically did the same thing, only now didn't have to pay for a phone-in telephone number. We paid the ISP of course for so much web space, which was expensive back then, and most ISPs were very picky about what they considered personal stuff and business stuff.

The thing I have to remember is, each web site name needs promotion, and it can be easy to build a full-time job by having too many to keep up with.

The Silver Bullet is humming along perfectly. I never realized how having so much unused memory actually speeds things up so much. Why I don't know, it just does. I've shaved at least one-quarter of my work time to do the same things since powering up the Silver Bullet for work use.

Have a great weekend Yogi!

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have nothing but time on my hands, but I don't think I have enough time left on this planet to take what you have and convert it into a modern website. Part of the problem is the fact that there are quite a few things going on today that were not in existence 5-10 years ago. I'd have to do a lot of research in order to make things perfect. I can't imagine how a person busy as you are would have time to do a conversion. On the other hand, you have a lot of resource material that can be regrouped into a brand new website created from scratch. It can be done in straight HTML5 and CSS too, but jquery and frameworks like bootstrap can do some pretty cool things too.

I know what you are talking about when you mention bulletin boards. I recall using Mosaic to browser some of those boards too. Those were the days my friend. Have we progressed since then? Well take a look around the ol' Brainformation Forums website. What do you see? It's just a fancied up version of those old bulletin board text oriented sites we grew up with. Do you see the crowds that are attracted to such a place? :sad:

Technology is expanding at an exponential rate but people who use that technology are also evolving. The fact is your website(s) audience wants something modern and it isn't because technology that has gone backwards. It's very much more difficult to get up to speed on today's public network with a multitude of personal and mobile devices in the hands of your audience, but that's a social phenomena more than it is a flaw in technology. The world is exponentially more complex in modern times than it was when we grew up. We have to run hard just to get to second place.

I'm pleased to learn that the silver bullet is working out so well for you. I presume the PCIe bus problem has remained a problem. I still feel bad that you can't take advantage of all the great video card qualities, but as you pointed out before it would not do much to improve the workflow. However, I can assure you that you are not maximizing the potential of the silver bullet. I know it would be a struggle for you, but you would be amazed at the improvement in performance and throughput if you had a solid state drive for booting OS's instead of a mechanical one. To give you an example, my Windows 7 on that machine took between 50-60 seconds to boot. When I upgraded to SSD the boot time was cut to 10-12 seconds - faster than my Linux boxes with HDD's. And that's only boot time. Updating software is less time consuming as well. Loading memory intensive software is stunningly quick. My photo editor (PSP) and browser performance was breathtaking. Virus scans, which you have no need for, are remarkably shorter. I'd not be surprised to see 50% or more improvement in performance with that single switch to solid state storage media.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Yogi
I have both of my websites up in subdomains now.
Had a whale of a time figuring out the FORBIDDEN 403 errors and a few other problems.
I know about permissions, and for the life of me, I don't know how or why all of my permissions reverted to none. I had to go folder by folder, file by file and set all the permissions back to what they should be.
But did not have access of course to my root file folder. One call and they fixed that part for me. I have no idea what I did to make it quit working in the first place. It worked until I added the folder in the root director the subdomain points to.
I still have a few glitches to fix, which I think I've figured out, just have not had time to rewrite a couple lines of code to see if it works.
I know web browsers look at the root directory to find things like the favicon.ico, but the root directory of a subdomain to a web browsers is the root of that subdomain.
Dot is the root of Com, Com is the root of Host providers server, host providers server is root of userspace, userspace is root of user accounts, and user account is root for the user.
I think I just need to change an href in the Head to get it to work right. I'll know more after I try it.

I'm not finished writing the main page html yet, so still have the roaring falls there too.

I know solid state drives are super super fast.
But since I only boot up once and leave my computers on all the time, and most of my job work is done on-line, I don't know if I would see much of an improvement.
The GTX card will not go to waste. I have a computer which needs a new mobo. I usually buy a new CPU along with a new mobo, and they do have some mobo's that do not have onboard graphics, or you could buy a CPU that does not support onboard graphics (made that mistake a couple of times).
The guy who builds my computers said the GTX card is not damaged, only the slot it plugs into.
So I'm thinking, for around 150 bucks I can have him set up my old computer with a new mobo and use the GTX card, and I will dedicate the computer to my graphics work, and maybe playing games, hi hi...

Until I got the Silver Bullet, I did not know SATA ports had different speed ratings.
I have one computer with an 80 gig HD holding the OS in SATA-0 and 500 gig HD in SATA-1 holding the programs and local storage. I swapped the two plugs, and told bios to boot from SATA-1. Took longer for the OS to boot up, but the load times on the programs was cut in half as was the transfer time to the external HD as well.

Tomorrow is another busy day at work, which cuts into the time I need to steal from them to get my own stuff done.
Have a great evening Yogi.

TTUL
Gary