Windows 12

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Windows 12

Post by Kellemora »

OK, I've figured out what is knocking me out, and removing the remember me from my log-in at the same time.
Apparently the ALT key on this keyboard is super touchy, and when I am typing the letter X as in the word next, if I so much as graze the ALT key it get dumped out to the log-in screen.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

OK, the first thing I said was, when I tried to log-on a little around 12:30 or so, I kept getting timed out, so decided to go eat my late lunch and now I'm here.

There are not many foods I like which have other things added to them when they shouldn't have. The exceptions are stews and kabobs, plus a few other things. Naturally putting gravy on mashed potatoes, or cheese on macaroni is acceptable, but garlic and spinach, or garlic and mashed potatoes, heck no, it don't belong in there. Adding toppings is OK on most things. But in the case of Onion soup, what they call French Onion is not onion soup with a lump of cheese floating on it. It has an entirely different taste than real onion soup.

Traditionally, oil and vinegar dressings will separate unless they add another ingredient, such as egg yolk, mayonnaise, or mustard. Mayonnaise is the most common ingredient added to nearly all oil and vinegar type dressings.
What makes wine vinegar the popular choice for simple oil and vinegar dressings, is the fact the alcohol in the vinegar makes it blend with oil.
All that being said, if you want to make a cucumber, oil, & vinegar dressing, you don't want the taste of wine vinegar overpowering the delicate cucumber essence of flavor.
Most folks who just use oil & vinegar on their salads, do so to get the wine vinegar flavor they like.
But normally, the oil and vinegar are served in two separate cruets and you pour it on your salad in the amounts you want.
But they still never mix on the salad that way, at least not very well.

It was the cucumber dressing that turned me onto the vacuum blender in the first place. Also, the restaurant I was eating at served plain ole oil and vinegar already blended, it had something else in it that was a dry herb, you could see the flakes in it, but they never disclosed what it was. But they did tell me they used a vacuum blender to make the cucumber dressing.
Then I spent the next month trying to find out about them, and eventually bought one.
I never did use it for anything other than making dressings though, and sold it along with the restaurant and equipment.

You basically know which of your customers would like to try something new, and which ones don't want anything touching anything else on their plate, hi hi. We did have quite a few big salad eaters, and you get to know which ones try different dressings when they are there. Those are the ones I approached to do a trial. They didn't get their meal free, but they got their salad free, and since a lot of them were their dinner, in that case, to them their dinner was free, hi hi.
In fact, many of the things we served in the restaurant came from requests by customers. Not many Italian restaurants served roast beef open plate specials at lunch, but we did, with four choices of vegies plus smashed potatoes with gravy.
Although we did have a lot of so called Italian dishes, everything we served had American names.
Not at all like those highfalutin places, hi hi.

I just remembered, I did try something else in my vacuum blender. Eggs with a touch of milk, like how I made scrambled eggs. Now if you like a pile of scrambled eggs with the texture and consistency of whipped cream, that was also impossible to get cooked through and through we had you covered. The best I could do with the mess was pour it into 1/2 inch tall steel rings and cook it that way, flip it over and cook the other side. But it was like only 1/4th of an egg the size of a hamburger, not good at all either.
yogi

Post by yogi »

All I want to say is that I answered this thread yesterday. Either it got obliterated by the gods of the Internet or I somehow neglected to post my reply. If it's the second scenario then I am getting a little nervous. This is not the first time I've posted a reply and it did not appear for you to view.

About all I can recall from my response was a time I made scrambled eggs for my mom on Mothers Day. I never made them prior to that occasion so that I had to look up a recipe. The instructions where to separate the yolks from the whites. Then add cream of tartar to the whites and whip them up to the consistency of whipped cream. I think the yolks got something like Worcestershire sauce added but I don't recall for certain. They had to be scramble thoroughly and the blended with the whipped up whites similar to making mouse. The end result was something like a layer of a 9" cake. It was very thick and creamy, and from what I recall cooked through and through. I'm not sure if it was baked, microwaved, or grilled. This all happened about 40 years ago, but I can say I never did it that way again up to this very day. LOL

I often think about what kind of restaurant I would run if I would run a restaurant. Your idea of letting the customers determine the menu was something I too felt would be a good idea. There are a ton of ethnic foods out there that nobody knows about yet are awfully good eating. I suppose the problem with that idea would be the chef not knowing how to duplicate all those weird family recipes. Be that as it may, I'm certain it would be a crowd pleaser if it can be done properly.

Here's hoping THIS post shows up for your perusal.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sorry your post was commandeered by the Net Gods, hi hi.

The only way I make scrambled eggs is to break three eggs in a bowl, add just a dash of milk, then stir frantically.
The of course I pour them into a skillet to cook.

Believe me, you NEVER want to own a restaurant! Not ever, ever, ever.
I had phun working at the ice cream shop when I was young, and even enjoyed it more when I became a partner a few years later and we added a whole line of cooked foods at that time.

There first three years after they opened built the place, it was strictly ice cream, shakes, malts, etc. And they closed in the winter, mainly because he had a winter time job delivering fuel oil to residential stops. He and his wife are who built the building and planned on it being a business for their retirement years. After they hired me, we added a very small hot dog rolling grill and deep fryer for french fries. So we got the start with hot dogs and french fries, no burgers yet.
At the time, I had several thousand bucks saved up, and wanted to stay open during the winter too after he retired.
Now I don't know if you would consider this a smart move or dumb move, but I offered to pay for the installation of a commercial grill, hood, required fire suppression equipment, and all the labor to have it installed, if they would make me a partner in the business.
Now this is going to sound odd, but we struck up a deal where I was 1/3 owner, but would share in half the profits. My buying the grill and installation amounted to 1/3 equity in what they had into the business already. 1/3 him, 1/3 his wife's, and now 1/3 mine, this would come into play if and when they sold the place. But the profit sharing worked out differently in the end. I got 50% of profits after foodstuffs, and 33% of the profits ice cream products. It worked out this way because he had to buy more ice cream and shake machines, and Pepsi supplied the soda dispensers and cups for soda.
I never actually had to handle any of the bookwork because he had a CPA who handled all of that for him. But I did get to see the CPA's quarterly reports. He's also the one who made sure I got my fair share too. He also kept the expenses for the foodstuffs separate from the ice cream, and since the food was bringing in about half of the total revenues, the CPA though I should also cover 1/2 the expense for heating and electric, which I gladly did.
The man had a mild heart attack one night, and his wife wasn't to hip on what to do, so I more or less took over and made sure all the daily receipts and purchase tickets went to the CPA.
The wife didn't really want to keep running the place, and I didn't have enough money to buy their two shares, but I sure wish I did, because McDonald's wanted our location and we agreed to sell.
After all was said and done, we each got 28k, which was like 20k after income taxes, but I still had state and local taxes which came to another nearly 4k, and I had invested right at 10k myself, so if I figure I got my 10k back, plus 14k, it worked out ok for me.

But then I made the big mistake of buying a Cebo Pizza Franchise. I've talked about that before, so won't reiterate.
Other than to say, I broke even when I sold the place, but that was only because I also had the restaurant section as my own that went with the deal.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have heard more than a few horror stories about inspectors and restaurants. You told me some yourself. For that reason alone I would agree that I would not want to own a restaurant and battle the good ol' boys at city hall. However, I would consider a hot dog stand. There were a couple back in the old neighborhood that sold very few items, but sold a lot of them. The menu was typically hotdogs of a million varieties. Then, of course, hamburgers. Some went beyond that with subs, Italian beef and/or gyro sandwiches. The short order cooking business was huge where I lived, and hot dogs were a favorite of just about everybody - Chicago style hot dogs, of course. After sampling a few hotdogs here in and around O'Fallon I am sure I could not do worse. The owner of my favorite hot dog joint told me it costs about $200k to set up a new store. He told me that after I offered to work for him if he opened a shop on the north side of town where I live. LOL Well, that would require selling a lot of hot dogs and probably cannot be profitable in a town like O'Fallon. Be that all as it may, I miss those simple short order shops. All they have here are the franchise versions which I stopped patronizing a few decades ago.

Your offer to enter a partnership in a business you enjoyed was not a dumb move. It worked out well financially even if you did not plan on the kind of ending that eventuated. I see that as one of your innate talents. You know what it takes to make a business profitable and you can recognize the right opportunity to do so. I doubt that you did any cost/benefit analysis too. You saw what was happening and you knew instinctively what it would take to make it better. That seems to have been your MO for most of your working life.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know today's prices are much higher than they were in the 1970s.
A McDonald's franchise was like a million bucks, but that included the property, building, all the equipment, initial inventory, and trained employees.
A Cibo Pizza franchise was normally in a rented storefront, or a building you bought or leased.
When we decided to go with Cibo, it was because the price was cheap. But varied by what was included.
They told us the size of the stores they could work in. I found a vacant building, formerly a shoe store of the right size.
Bought the building for just over 25 grand, which I financed through the bank, because I would need the 35 grand to get a turn-key Cibo Pizza franchise. This included two ovens, a front counter, a wall between the working area and the front counter, the register, and all the prep-counters in the back, plus the wall rack type fridge, which was stocked full. And one lady around 55 years old to show us the ropes and train three folks. She would only be there for 30 days is all.
What was not included were tables and chairs, napkin dispensers or anything to do with eat in customers. They were designed as an order and delivery company, or pick-up of course. Delivery drivers were not provided, but I had plenty in the area I could use easily enough, simply by paying a dollar more than anyone else to delivery drivers using their own cars. They did provide the carry totes for the pizza's, about 30 of them.

When the building which adjoined ours with a common wall became vacant, and sat empty for over two months, the owner, same guy we bought out building from, said he would sell it to us for 15 grand, he had it advertised for 22 grand. I said yes I'll take it. Although at the time I bought it I only planned on renting it out. But then when I found I could buy everything from a restaurant that was closing down, meaning the tables, chairs, silverware, plates, a couple of fridges, and a dishwasher system, I jumped on it. They had already sold their grill and prep area equipment. Which is how I ended up using the Cibo side for cooking, just needed to add a grill and stove is all, the hood was already in place. I don't think I paid over 2 grand for everything from the closed restaurant and got a lot more than I bargained for also. They had a lot of unused non-perishable inventory that went with the deal.

Cibo Pizza made anywhere from 35 to 50k in profits per year. Then after we added the restaurant, it too did around 50k in profits per year. Not bad for back then, and why I could pay my wait staff the same rate of pay I paid the prep-cooks and dressers. Only the grill cook got paid more. And by paying the wait staff so much, we never had any turnover, unless they were going away to school, or moving out of town. Today, those profits would be around 150k per year.

You would not believe the arguments I had with my partners when I sold some of the things I did for folks to eat.
But then after he learned what I was charging, then he was OK with it.
We bought a special sesame seed hot dog bun, which was more like a long fluffy roll. Customers loved them.
So, I would sell them without a hot dog, buttered with a touch of garlic and parsley flakes, and flattened down on the grill.
Back then we paid like 13 cents for each bun, and an 11 cent hot dog on that bun sold for a buck fifty.
I sold just the buns with butter and touch of garlic for a buck, lightly toasted and smashed, hi hi.

I know I mentioned this before, but when we got a case of tomatoes in, I lined them up on a ledge, just inside the glass block windows in the back. This gave them time to ripen and gain flavor. At first the owner didn't like this, but when he saw why I bought two cases instead of one case, once again he was OK with that. This was before we became partners. Once we were partners I could get by buying slightly higher quality things like onions, and other meats I added to the menu.

Those were the good old days. I sure wouldn't attempt owning a restaurant these days.

By the way, I love grabbing a hot dog from a cart vendor when they are set up outside various stores in the area.
A couple have super good hot dogs, but they are not cheap anymore, 2.50 to 3.50 is the norm.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I never heard of Cibo until you mentioned them here. Perhaps that's the reason why there were a cheap franchise. LOL You certainly knew how to run a business which is why you were successful at so many things. However, above and beyond business acumen you also treated your employees better than most employers. That attracts the good workers and makes the current ones very happy. I always heard that the base pay for the wait staff is below subsistence level. They earn most of their wages collecting gratuities. To this day I disagree with that concept because that puts me the customer in a position of feeling obligated to pay the wages of the shop's employees. Your wait staff must have taken gratuities too, but my guess is that they didn't need that extra tip because you were paying them a fair wage to begin with. I understand there are places that do that and discourage their customers from giving gratuities to the wait staff. Those are the places I admire not for the prices, but for their forward thinking about the people they hire.

The place I can get a simulated Chicago style hot dog here in O'Fallon is a sit down facility that serves beer and wine. I am certain most of their profit comes from the alcohol and not the food. The "foot long" hot dog goes for nearly $6 if I remember correctly. Your choice of chips in a bag go with that. Drinks are extra, and they don't serve coffee. I told the owner I have experience with Chicago dogs and what he is serving isn't authentic. For one, the wieners should be Vienna brand, which his are not. But this is O'Fallon and Chicago victuals are hard to come by here. However, the hot dog must be topped with celery salt, which seemed like news to him. I've been there only a few times and enjoyed the meal, but they STILL don't sprinkle the celery salt on top.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Honestly, it only made sense to me to pay wait staff a dime above regular minimum wage to start, not minimum wait staff wage either. The same starting wage for all dressers and prep-cooks. It wasn't as high as it is today. If I recall minimum wage was $2.30 per hour, and I paid $2.40 per hour to start. Basically, I worked on a 4% pay increase after 30 days, 5% more after 60 days, and then 5% more after 90 days, and then 5% every quarter after that.
One of my biggest competitors down the street only gave 3-1/2 cent raises every six months.
The ironic thing is, working at the flower shop I worked for $1.50 an hour up through 1970, then $2.50 per hour until 1980, when I got $3.75 per hour as a manager.
When you look at it that way, I was paying my restaurant help more than I was making my first decade on the job.
But the whole thing here is, happy employees, make for happy customers.
Oh, I didn't discourage Tips, but because I paid wait staff so much, they were supposed to add tips to the tip jar, so the dressers and prep-cooks got a share too. But not the cooks, they were already making double the minimum wage to start.
When I started working at Cream Twist Ice Cream, I was paid 50 cents an hour, and poor Dave only got 35 cents per hour. But then I was the cook and he was the soda jerk, hi hi. After I became a partner, then I got about a buck an hour clock time, plus a percentage of the profits.
Also, something you don't know, because I didn't until after I was in the restaurant business.
In the 1950s and '60s, almost all restaurants were mom n pop shops. There was no wait staff, unless it was the children of the owners helping out. If a restaurant did enough business, they allowed after school kids to come in, not on a salary, but to earn tips for taking the food to the tables. Even back in the mid-60s when I worked downtown and ate out often, wait staff were not paid for by the restaurant and only made what tips they earned.
When I went to work at MRTC, the food was free, in the cafeteria there was no tipping allowed, but in the restaurant a tip of 35 cents was mandatory because they had an unpaid wait staff.
By the 1970's, wait staff were required to do many chores besides waiting on tables, plus do things like roll silverware in napkins after they were off the clock, have all their condiments filled and ready for the next day, etc.
I never thought that was fair at all either!
The U.S. of A. is about the only country in the world where restaurants expect their patrons to pay their employees wages in the way of tips. And they got by with it for so long, we now have two minimum wages. One for regular employees and one for wait staff.

Now I've had a lot of hot dogs in my lifetime and never once have I been given one with celery salt on it.
My favorite hot do was Eusingers brand, the kind made in natural casing, aka chicken intestines, hi hi.
Although now no hot dogs have natural casings anymore. But ball park franks are the type I prefer, and you don't find them too often. Unless they are around 5 bucks for a hot dog on a bun with nothing else.
When I worked in downtown St. Louis, there was a large hot dog place who had a dozen or so street vendors. They made all of their own hot dogs too, but they didn't look like store bought hot dogs. They also made hot dog shaped hamburgers too, in the same way they made their hot dogs. In stainless steel tubes is how they were cooked.
We have rules here about what can be called a Hamburger, which is why you see so many places with really good Burgers don't use the word Hamburger. A Hamburger cannot have anything in it other than the ground beef. But other burgers can have sauces, onions, fillers, etc. Almost like a meat loaf but still with lots of beef.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The celery salt was fairly common for Chicago hot dogs, but in many instances it was an option that had to be requested. Sports peppers too were standard fare and deleting them was also by request only. There has to be a gillion versions of the Chicago style hot dog, but only one is classic. I've not seen one of those classics since I left the neighborhood in which I grew up. I have seen the Chicago style relish at Schnucks. It's the greenest relish you will ever see and not all that sweet. I don't recall the name of the stuff but they do refer to Chicago Style on the label. LOL

Somewhere in my deepest dark past I recall eating hot dog shaped hamburger. LOL I don't recall anything about them other than it's the kind of thing I would sample just because I never had one previously.

I have little knowledge of wait staff history. It makes sense that it all started out as runners from the kitchen to the tables. I could see giving a gratuity for that kind of service. But it is obviously a different work ethic these days. The staff has many chores to complete besides taking orders and handing out food. People with that kind of responsibility deserve a fixed wage in that they are required to do a fixed amount of work. You are absolutely correct about the mood of the employee having a tremendous effect upon the quality of work they do. Customers recognize happy employees and are more likely to return to such an establishment. Most of the time we eat out it's nothing special and we don't expect any special treatment. In those cases the food and the staff are about equal in the overall experience. When we do some fine dinning the food is expected to be exceptional, and the wait staff's presentation takes on higher importance. The quality of the treatment is what determines the gratuity in those cases.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I had the pizza shop, we served Chicago style pizza, New York style pizza, and St. Louis style pizza.
The only difference between a Chicago style pizza and a Deep Dish pizza, was how high the sides of the pan it was baked in.
Also the crust was slightly thinner on Chicago vs Deep Dish, but cooked long enough the rim of the crust was crunchy but not the bottom of the pizza, cooked but not doughy.
New York style was cooked long enough for the dough to become hard, like a cracker.
And St. Louis style had a soft crust, but not doughy, which happens if you don't cook it long enough.
We also had a thick crust pizza, which was more like a bread type of crust. A Cibo Special, but sold very few of them.
It's been too many years ago to remember the difference in the toppings or seasonings used on each.
Cibo provided one seasoning called SMOG. It was only used on Chicago and New York style pizza's and on nothing else.
I have no idea what was in it either, but it looked like the normal combination of ingredients used in all seasonings, and the only difference between them was the amount of certain ingredients in each. We also had the other seasonings that went on them too, STL, NYC, CHG, DDP, and CPO. CPO was Cibo Pizza Original, and only used on Cibo pizzas.

I tried something in the restaurant side once to see if it made a difference or not. All the male waters wore a vest and had a towel draped over their left arm, like in the fancy restaurants, they also wore a ticket pocket belt. And since the girls could wear a dress or pants, we didn't have a uniform, but a nice amber bib apron with red piping at the seams. The bib aprons had a large ticket pocket so they didn't need to wear a ticket belt.
They both like this way because they could take it off before going home or going out.
The prep cooks and dressers all had plain white aprons, and the cooks had the heavier white aprons.
The prep cooks and dressers usually wore their aprons so they didn't cover their shirt, but the cooks always kept their clothes covered. Some even wore a larger size shirt over their dress shirt, then the apron.
Oh, the dishwashers had naugahyde aprons, expensive wide front wrap around aprons.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I know what a Chicago style hotdog is all about, but the Chicago style pizza seems to be only loosely defined. Since we have been here in O'Fallon our kids sent us some Chicago pizza from a well known Chicago restaurant which is famous for such. The crust is pretty much what you describe in that the edges are about an inch high, thin and crispy. The bottom is softer. But, this crust is not like any other pizza crust I've made or purchased dining out. I don't think there is any leavening in it, which makes it crispy and not so chewy. If I had a vote I'd say these guys have the best pizza Chicago has to offer, but it's not what everybody in Chicago food service makes. The defining element seems to be in the way the pizza is layered, regardless of how thick or thin the crust is. I've talked to a foodie friend of mine in NYC and he claims we make pizza's backwards in Chicago. The cheese goes on first in NYC but is the last topping in Chicago. Some of those NYC pizzas have no tomato sauce. Skipping that would be a mortal sin in Chicago. LOL

As far as STL pizza goes I have only sampled it rarely in a nearby restaurant. The most outstanding feature there is that they don't use mozzarella cheese. They use a sort of yellow cheese mixed with an unidentified white cheese. I'm guessing it's colby jack cheese, but I could be wrong. This place will substitute mozzarella on request, but their standard STL version uses yellow cheese. Other than that it could be a typical Chicago pizza.

About the only wait staff that ever impressed me were the gals who worked at Hooters. Only been there a few times and was thoroughly satisfied each time. The food wasn't too bad either. I've not seen nor heard of Hooters here in Missouri. It must have something to do with the dress code. They seem to be very conservative down here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Cibo provided us with big wall mounted cards that showed, what went on what pizza's and in what order, and how much of each item based on number of toppings ordered or if bought individually.
I do remember the sauce going after the cheese on one version, but don't remember which one it was.
I just remembered the different pans which were used to make each one.
Actually, they were only dressed in a pan, and/or we used flat stainless steel rings.
The pizza's were backed in the oven with no pan or steel ring, except for the deep dish, which was made and served in the pan.

We did have different dough blends also, including a wheat and a rye dough. But those were only sold on the restaurant side.
There were like three or four customers who always ordered a Ham and Swiss or Ham and Cheddar on the Rye. The Ham and Cheddar was often requested with Diced Tomatoes and double sauce, hi hi.
You would not like the Wheat dough, it was only used on thick crust pizza, but with any topping.
And yes we actually a bologna topping on the restaurant side, because it was requested more than bacon on the wheat dough.
Although we rarely had a customer get mad at us, since we worked around Cibo's rules as often as we could.
But the pizza styles available in the restaurant side, even though they were made on the Cibo side, could not be ordered from the Cibo side. Half of the things were not on the Cibo registers either, which their home office controlled.
The way around that was to have the wait person run over to the restaurant side to ring up the restaurant side order.
But we couldn't do that if one of the Cibo monitors were in the store. The customer would have to walk next door and place their order there on those days. But that wasn't all bad, because they could order the Cibo items from that side. But only because we treated them like a phone in order and rerang them on the Cibo register as a to-go order.
We also called to-go orders by a different name. We called them Two-Boots, hi hi.
Had a mix-up one day when a new driver though Two-Boots meant delivery orders, hi hi.
Apparently they used that term at another place he worked for delivery, and Crash-Cart for Cash n Carry.
Which seemed backwards to me!

We have Hooters here but I've never been in one. One was right next door to my computer store too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My vegetarian daughter makes pizza "dough" from cauliflower. I made it once here for our Saturday night pizza extravaganza, and all I can say is it tasted terrible. LOL My wife thought it was acceptable but it had the consistency of a pancake and was not firm or crispy at all. I've had California pizza made with whole wheat dough, but rye pizza dough is a new concept for me. I have one heck of a time making bread with rye flower and can't imagine it to be any easier for pizza dough. All the pizzas I bake are on a flat pan or on a cookie sheet. The rectangular shape is more authentic than the round shape and in some ways easier to serve. The best pizza is reheated left overs. I have a cast iron pizza pan which gets preheated before I put the left overs on it. If I had a pizza peel I'd construct the pizza on the counter and transfer it to the hot cast iron. But, since I don't have a way of transferring the virgin product, the cast iron is relegated to left overs. It's the next best thing to a brick oven.

I think you were fortunate to know when Cibo was sending a monitor to check out your operation. I would think those things would be done anonymously so that the real operation could be observed. I also think Cibo was very generous to allow a competing restaurant to be located next door. I realize it was two distinctly different businesses, but I thought franchises were very fussy about competition and where they are located.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We have a STONE sheet we put in the oven for when we make pizza here at home. It is much better than using a cast iron skillet or the big square cast iron plate made for pizza.
Prior to buying the stone sheet, we had a special pizza pan, named Apian Way, which was a thick round pan filled with holes.
There was some type of substance inside between the tin layers. Probably Asbestos, considering how old it is, hi hi.

I just looked out my window, it is friggin snowing outside. Debi had frost on her car this morning when she got ready to go to work, so had to let the car warm up a bit to clear the windows. It is only 37 degrees here right now, so the snow won't stick and probably melt as soon as it hits the ground. I'll bet the farmers are having fits with this cold weather, Al Gore calls Global Warming, hi hi.

There was a Cibo pizza place right next door to Shakey's Pizza Chain. Cibo was first. Although both sell pizza, Shakey's was more like a restaurant, where Cibo was basically cash n carry, plus delivery.
Technically, the restaurant had to buy the pizza's from Cibo in order to serve them. But not the pizza's which were not on the Cibo menu. This is one reason we came up with other types of pizza so we didn't have to run them through Cibo's cash register.
The Cibo franchise never cared what our utility costs were, because I had to pay all of them myself. And after the first year, any small equipment issues, we had to take care of, except for the ovens, dough rollers, refrigerator tables, and storage refrigerator. I did have a steam table I bought for the restaurant side, but it was kept on the pizza side of the wall, hi hi.
I wonder how long Cibo would have lasted if they didn't change their sauce formula?
yogi

Post by yogi »

They claim stone is the only medium on which to make pizza. I suspect that is true for pizza with a very thin crust in a wood burning oven. Any of the thicker dough that does not need to be brittle to the bite can be done well on cast iron or even on a cookie sheet if it is prepared properly. I'm not sure which I like best but I ether oil down the metal pan so that the crust surface becomes crispy, or I put a very thin layer of corn meal down with no oil. The corn meal works amazingly well and I never have a problem with the pizza sticking to the pan when using the meal base. The down side is that you end up with corn meal on the bottom of your pizza. LOL

I had to go see the doctor yesterday morning for a per-surgery check up. It's an eight mile trip and I was snowed upon for at least six of those eight miles. The temps hovered around 36 which is a dangerous temperature. If the pavement is any cooler the snow turns to ice, but, fortunately, that did not happen to me. It's not all that common but snow frequently did happen in April back home near Chicago. Heck there were a few Mothers Days when the snow fell up there. I've had my grass cut twice this year and between the arctic blasts it's growing fairly fast. Crazy isn't the word to describe it.

I don't know about ol' Al Gore, but I do know we are in the process of what is generally recognized as climate change. The average global temperatures are on the rise in this process. Maybe you prefer not to call it Global Warming due to some millions of years Ice Age cycle, but here in the present century the weather is not what it used to be and is changing rapidly. There seems to be some thinking that the process can be slowed down if we change our habits, but there also are a lot of folks who feel there isn't anything humans can do to affect the climate. Those are honest feelings, I'm sure. They aren't exactly science, but I recognize that they are sincere.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

One side of our pizza stone looks like it has goosebumps, hi hi. The other side is flat!
If you don't want a crispy crust, you use the dimpled side, and put it in the oven cold with the pizza on it.
If you want it only slightly crispy on the bottom, but not like a cracker, you use the flat side, starting cold too.
If you want it hard and crispy, you heat the stone, flat side up, and then put the pizza on it after it is hot.
Not at all the way it is done in a pizza shop, hi hi. Our ovens are always hot.
We kept them fairly hot all night too, turned them down to one click above the lowest setting.
If you didn't, it took over an hour for it to come back up to temp from the low setting.
From cold it could take 2-1/2 to 3 hours to get hot enough to bake a pizza in.
Plus it puts a lot of stress on the stone interior.

We had near freezing temperatures back in June of 1966.
I remember it well, because it was totally my mom's fault the temps dropped so low.
For three years she told me it will be a cold day in June when I graduate, hi hi.
And the graduation ceremony was outside in the football field.

Al Gore is the poly-TICK-ian who said, "Due to Global Warming, Florida would be under water by 2008."
Well, it is 2022 and Florida is still well above water, hi hi.
Here in the south, we are having temps some 20 to 30 degrees below normal averages.
And we broke a couple of cold day records this year too.
Yep, gotta be Global Warming, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm really bad at making pizza crust. Kneading dough is not part of my physical skills. LOL Thus I have been buying pre-made dough for all the time we lived here in O'Fallon. Schucks and Dierbergs both sell it, but there is an obvious difference in the finished product. I prefer the way Schnucks dough bakes. One pizza will serve us two meals. I bake it so that the crust is just slightly crisp the first pass. We freeze half of that pizza and have it the following week. The first baking is on a tin of some sort; either a pizza pan or cookie sheet depending on how I form the dough. The left over pizza is baked on the cast iron pizza pan. I always pre-heat it for 20 minutes then toss the cold pizza on it to bake. The crust is thick but has a very crispy bottom layer, which is just the way I like it. The second best pizza I make uses English Muffins. They are the right size and can be refrigerated for lunches during the following week. They are not bad tasting when cold, but nuking them in the microwave for a short time is an awesome quick lunch.

The Global Warming debate is about as popular as the Linux vs Windows debate and is based on the same kind of observations. LOL I hear you loud and clear when you say it's freezing in Tennessee in June, but then it is also above freezing at the North Pole at the same time. This is without a doubt a change in the climate. The records will show that the average temperatures on the earth's surface are rising. They aren't rising a lot, but they are going up and that is panicking more than a few observers. I think Al Gore had the right idea but the wrong information when he made that famous statement. Isn't he the same guy who claimed to have invented the Internet? LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

OK, looks like I found it. Shame I lost it all due to a power outage!

I think what I said was: We had a dough making machine, and a dough roller.
Only one of our dough formulas could be used for hand tossed, although we normally didn't do that.
When the dough came out of the roller, it fed over the top of a pan, and we used a Brayer to cut it using the edge of the pan as the blade.
A Brayer is a device from rolling over lick n stick labels to make them stick better. Also used on self-stick labels to get them to attach tighter. I'm sure they are used for other things as well.

In the flower shop, we had old wooden Brayers for putting the lettering on ribbons.
And I had several different sizes I used in the graphics arts businesses to hold down things like chart-pak tapes and the like when building up ad columns for the newspaper.

Yes, Al Gore has made a LOT of false claims about a lot of things, including starting the Internet, hi hi.

I do agree that the earth is warming up a tad. But I don't see that as a big deal.
Old mother earth has been heating up and cooling down for billions of years.
I love the claims about the Ozone Layer also. But won't get into either of these.
yogi

Post by yogi »

At the moment we only have three active threads. If you lose a reply to one of them, the chances of finding which one are pretty high. LOL

I've always been amazed at those dough rollers in the pizza shops. The crust ALWAYS comes out round, or nearly so. I use a regular old rolling pin after I dump the raised dough out of it's bowl. I'm pretty good at making ovals and squares, but rarely does that dough end up close to being round. It seems odd but it looks as if the dough stretches only in one direction. I haven't figured out why that happens but I've tried several different methods to simulate a round crust without success.

I've seen people make pie crusts using a rolling pin instead of a Brayer. The dough gets laid over the pan and then run over with a rolling pin to trim off the edges and end up with a round crust. I doubt that pizza dough would do the same thing in that there is a heck of a lot of glutton in the mix which makes it difficult to cut with anything less than a knife edge. Or Brayer in your case.

The vast majority of knowledgeable people think the current trend in global warming is being accelerated by human activity. Then there is the minority opinion. Taken together no consensus is possible. I like Windows and you like Linux. What else can be said?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I did find it an responded as close as I could remember what I said.

And wouldn't you know, our electric was out again today for about 2 hours.
Cable Internet was up but Cable TV was down, which don't make sense since they are on the same cable line.
Our phone often works when the TV is down, so I guess it has to do with which frequencies went down.

Our pizza dough roller was like a wringer washer, hi hi. Two big iron rollers!
And the dough came out in long sheets. We could get maybe five to six pizza pans filled on one big hunk of dough.

We also had a pizza slicer that did a whole 12 to 16 inch pizza cut into squares.
It was only used on Cibo Original thin crust pizza's and on nothing else.
Unless folks said cut it the right way, not on that square cut thingy you guys have, hi hi.

We attempted to sell pizza by the yard, or by the foot, on the restaurant side.
This would be a 6 inch wide by 36 inch long pizza, but only 5 inches width of topping.
I even had long cookie sheets made with the sides turned up for that purpose.
And if requested we would cut the pizza's in little 2 inch wide strips to make for easy eating.
Most folks thought that was a weird way to serve a pizza so sales were low.

But I figured, why is a round pizza cut into triangles, and served in a square box?
If they can do that, what's wrong with a foot-long pizza, or a yard long pizza?

I really don't think human activity has much to do with what they are calling Global Warming.
But it could be, and if they keep building more and more solar collectors, which reflect the sun back up into the clouds and beyond, it may cause either a greenhouse effect and droughts, or it may contribute to global warming also.
And what about the increase in solar activity over the past few decades.
You know good and well, nothing we do on earth is affecting the sun flares increasing, and many in our direction too.
Also, the earths magnetic field is now less also, and it is that magnetic field that keeps solar radiation from striking earth in the harmful areas of radiation.
Every scientist can find something that causes warming, but can't explain why it is colder everywhere that is supposed to be warm. Getting warmer at the poles and colder half way between there and the equator.
And now they say Antarctica is colder than normal.
Mars is also showing a lot more activity from heat as well. Numerous more earthquakes too.
So I guess they will blame that on the Mars Rover, hi hi.

Planet Earth has been her for billions of years, and has undergone numerous temperature range cycles.
And I'm sure it will continue to do so, despite our actions. We may hasten it, or slow it down, either of which would be bad.