FLoC

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: FLoC

Post by yogi »

They probably don't hand out graphs of hearing response because nobody would know what they are looking at anyway. Before I pay for an audio analysis there would have to be an agreement that I get a copy of the results. They have the information and can share it, I'm sure. That's how they make the hearing aides in the first place. They adjust the frequency response according to the charts they have.

The hearing aide squeal is feedback. All hearing aides have it. I don't know how they can build a device that has a microphone and a speaker so close together anyway. Most work quite well if you keep the gain level reasonable. But, finding that reasonable level isn't always easy.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Technically, audio feedback was a problem they solved 40 years ago by using two different phases. What the mike hears from a speaker is cancelled out by switching the phase to prevent feedback from the mike.
When's the last time you heard any feedback from a microphone at a stage concert, or speakers platform?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've not heard much feedback from public or professional equipment, but I have heard it several times from hearing aids. The proximity of mic to speaker is way different in the ear canal than in an open space. Thus the out of phase sound waves are not effective in such a small space. I'm not sure what it is they use in hearing aids, but it very likely does not depend on reflections or phase of the audio.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I guess it depends on how many thousands of dollars they charge for one or a pair.

I've seen hearing aid prices from 39.95 a pair, all the way up to 7,000 bucks each.

The ones I tried would have cost like 3 grand for the pair, but they made everything sound way off.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The $40 hearing aides are not hearing aides in the traditional sense. They are straight out audio amplifiers with god only knows what kind of frequency response. Those $7k amplifiers are supposedly tuned to match your individual hearing response curve. And that is where the problem of unnatural sounds originate. Hearing aids basically have audio equalizers built in. Those equalizers can be very narrow band or very broad. If you have a peak or a valley in your hearing response, the equalizer bandwidth might not be narrow enough to compensate. That's only half the problem. Your hearing depends on the other noise in your environment, or the lack of it. What you hear in your quiet living room cannot be heard while shopping at WalMart, and vice versa. Background noise is the hearing aid nemesis because it cannot be filtered out efficiently. It not only takes out the noise but also the wanted audio at any given frequency. Those ultra expensive digital hearing aides have several settings to take care of the different response in different settings. The problem with that is I don't believe those settings are dynamic. You have to change them manually and then fine tune them to match what you are trying to hear. By then the moment has passed and you missed the salient audio. The brain does a great job of compensating for all those varied situations, but as far as I know artificial intelligence is not built into any hearing aides ... yet.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We have a couple of Echo devices here. I have one with a picture screen on it in the kitchen, and the lowly simple Dot version in my office. We use it as an intercom, but leave it on when I'm in my office and no one is home.
This it keeps turning up the microphone volume like the early cassette players used to do when recording.
If you are quiet, it will pick-up the background noise.
Well, that is what happens with the Echo devices!
When a dogs tag touches the floor, it sounds like someone dropped the lid of a large frying pan.
Or when they scratch, it sounds like wooden beams splintering and caving in, hi hi.
And dig this, that sound the washing machine or dryer makes when it is finished running, that I cannot hear when I'm down there, well up here over the Echo device I can hear it clearly, and LOUD too, hi hi.
We have a ceiling fan in the den that is normally turned off. When it gets turned on it is normally quiet, no squeaks or rattles. But over the Echo device, it has a loud squeak and the lamp shades rattle to the point I either have to turn off my Echo device, or go down to the house and turn than fan off, hi hi.

The cheap hearing aids are just about like that, they amplify everything.
The more expensive ones I tried for a short time didn't seem to get louder like the cheap ones do.
But having everything sound an octave lower was driving me nuts. And this is why I sent them back.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had an Echo for about two days (actually it's STILL in my closet not being used). I considered it an invasion of my privacy in that it used a port on my router. LOL I don't know much about them but I suppose they work a lot like one of those baby room monitors. The sensitivity of the amplifier changes depending on the ambient sound level. There can't be any true fidelity in an Echo in that I believe such a device would be tuned specifically for the human voice frequency band. Of course other frequencies can be heard and reproduced, but they get exaggerated as you point out. The monitors I've used were adjustable and the Echo probably can be tuned to the situation as well. It's all about variable gain, and that is old technology.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I got the first Echo Dot as a gift, and since I don't have a Schmartz-fone to set it up, and their on-line website only works for a couple things, not of them having to do with getting it working. I let it sit for over 3 months unused.
After Debi got an upgrade on her Schmartz-fone, she got it out and got it set up. Turned out to be quite handy to her.

In our living room, we have two pole lamps that are typically placed in corners, which makes them hard to get to to turn on and off. It sorta became a ritual plan before we went to bed, she would turn on the ceiling fan light, so I could see after we turned off the two pole lamps. Then she would move to the den, turn on that ceiling fan light, as I turned off the living room ceiling fan light. Now turning on the den ceiling fan would upset the bird who was sleeping, so we placed a string a lights on the fireplace mantle and used those instead.

I was offered some smart plugs for half price. Gave each one of them a name associated with the lights they were hooked to. Then using the on-line app, I could assign them to groups. So the two pole lamps got assigned to Living Room, and the mantle lights to Den, along with a Kitchen decoration named Misc. got added to the Den also.

So now we just leave the living room and tell Echo to turn off the living room.
When we turn off the ceiling fan in the den as we put the bird to sleep, we tell Echo to turn on the Den lights.

Come Christmas and I got a new Echo device for Debi for the Kitchen with a video display on it. She uses that thing for a lot of things. It shows time and temp on the display, or if you are playing a song it shows the words, and the speakers in that new unit are 100 times better than the ones in the Dot version.

I bought a WiFi access point and put it up in my office, and it is hard wired to my LAN. I have a few folks who stop by with laptops and they never could reach the WiFi in the house, so having an access point up here was a major help.
Then I connected the Echo Dot up here in my office, mainly to play a song from time to time. I didn't figure I could get it to work like an intercom being on a different IP address than the one in the kitchen, but I prevailed. And that is how we got to using it as an intercom.

On another note:
It was like 43 here yesterday, and this morning I waited until it was up to 45 degrees before I could check out my car.
My oil pressure gauge was jumping from 10 to 50 and back and forth. So I figured I must be getting low on oil, even though it don't burn oil, but it does leak a little sometimes.
Well, I checked and it wasn't touching the dip stick. We don't have level ground to park on, but I added a quart, still no show on the stick. Added a second quart and still no show on the stick. I went into the garage and got out an old can of oil and dumped that in, finally it showed on the stick, great.
Now where is the 710 cap? I set it up here, I know I did. Moved my shop towel to see if it was under it. Yep, it sure was, but the towel flipped it into the engine compartment. It didn't fall through to the ground, of course not, there are pans under there, hi hi. And according to Murphy's Law it had to be hiding somewhere on that pan, although I couldn't see it.
I crawled under the car and tried to reach up and around that pan, didn't feel it anywhere, but got mighty greasy in the process. Went into the house, washed my freezing hands, loaded back up on O2 before going back out with one of my wife's mega-lumens LED spotlights. I finally saw the 710 cap laying in front of a metal bar right behind the AC cooling system.
Got a short handled rake from the garage to see if I could move it from where it was hiding out to where I could possibly reach it. I got it to move just far enough it was now under another hose and where I could not get to with the rake.
It just so happened I had half of a metal curtain rod, so it was shaped like an L. And just long enough I could tap the cap over a little further. I tried to use the L end to pick up the cap but being top heavy it kept falling off. So I spread the metal on the curtain rod and got it into the cap so it held, just long enough for me to get it up a tad, then there was no way with that rod I could get it around the next obstacle. And old Murphy sprung up again and the 710 cap fell back down, top down, bottom side up in plain sight.
I went back to the house to warm up my hands with hot water, load back up the O2 as I was gasping horribly, and now my nose was running like a broken faucet. Used a Fluticasone Propionate nose spray, while still keeping my O2 cranked way up. Then about 20 minutes later I went up to my storage sheds to see if I could find one of my spring claws used for picking up bolts and nuts I've dropped. Ten minutes later I found a short one, which should work OK. Went back down to the car, retrieved the 710 cap, cleaned it as best as I could with my shop towel and put it back on the tube where it belonged.
All the above was made even more difficult due to the fact I had just finished my cardiac exercises, and with my poor circulation and no feeling in my white hands, took me much longer than it ever should have.
I did learn one thing though, you can start the 710 cap in two different positions. So apparently the right position to install it is so it says OIL instead of 710. I figured you might be wondering what a 710 cap was, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's a little embarrassing to have to tell you this, but I had to look at a picture of a 710 cap in order to see what the heck you were talking about. :lol: I knew what you meant while I read your narrative, but I don't think I ever heard that cap being referred to as one for 710. I can empathize with your frustrations and the need for O2 just to complete a simple task. My Saturn has a tire with a slow leak that takes about two or three months for the sensors to activate and tell me about it. That almost always happens when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere or when the weather is abnormally obnoxious. I only have a vague idea where the 710 cap is on my car. I've not had oil pressure problems lately and all the changes of oil are done by somebody else. So, I'm no longer in the dark about the cap you mention, but I am wondering if you ever found out why so much oil was missing from the crankcase.

I like what you did with the Echo. Mine came with two light bulbs which I never set up. I trusted them when they told me it should work. All I did was listen to some music and get a weather report for a town in Colorado. My daughter was living there at the time. The fact that such things as Echo need a smartphone in order to work just tells me how dumb the device actually is. A lot of those FitBit type wrist watches require an app installed on some smart device as well. It's a shame that it can't work without broadcasting all your personal activities over the public network. Then again, privacy doesn't seem to matter anymore.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Oh heck Yogi, the 710 joke has been going around for decades now. I'm surprised you didn't hear of it.
I actually felt I may have been demeaning by explaining it in the very last sentence, but then I have hit a few folks, mechanics even who didn't know what a 710 cap was for, hi hi. I think it originated as Dumb Blonde joke, hi hi.

My car is a 1997 with 211,000 miles on it. My wife's car is a 2002 and she leaves an oil spot on occasion while mine rarely does, unless I park further back up the hill which is steeper, and have backed in, which I usually do. So I figure it must be the front oil pan seal, which is no real biggie. I don't get a spot if I park down a bit so the car is more level.

Why was so much missing, probably because it has been 3 years since my last oil change, hi hi.
I drive less than 20 miles per month now, and that is just going to a doctors appointment if the frau don't take me in her car.

Seems to me these companies that make programs you put on a Schmartz-Fone would make one for a computer also.
Debi's niece had several devices that required an app on her iPhones, she switched to Android phones and only two of the many devices she had, had apps for Android. So she has to keep the old iPhone handy to get data from those devices.

I learned after buying a couple of devices that I couldn't use without a Schmartz-Fone, and they didn't say in their advertising they only work with a Schmartz-Fone, not to trust buying anything anymore. If they don't say, they can't assume I knew, so they get it back and I get my money back.

The Echo Devices have a website where you can do a few things associated with them, but the actual set-up requires a Schmartz-Fone and digital cellular service. But once it is set up, you can then use a disconnected cell phone over WiFi.
So why can't you use a computer over WiFi to do the set-up? Because the idiots who made it all have Schmartz-Fonz and money to burn on the latest and greatest ones.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You did the right thing by cluing me in regarding the 710 cap. All that high falutin commentary I put in these forums is just that: talk. However, I am smart enough to know when I don't understand something. I may not let on that I'm ignorant, but it does happen. :grin:

The smartphone connection to all those wearable devices and other gadgets is perfectly understandable. Take the FitBIt watch, for example. How much electronics can you actually fit into a box that small? There are a bunch of sensors inside to measure all manner of motions your body makes, but there isn't a lot of room left for memory. If all you want is an instant read, then it would work fine. But most of the folks that use a FitBIt are interested in long term goals and want graphs and charts to see what trend is developing. That is the theoretical purpose of those gizmos, i.e. to monitor your health habits and conditions long term. The bottom line is that all that data processing can't be done locally inside the device. The smartphone app is portable, which is probably the main reason you see them. In addition the phone has a lot more intelligence than the device so that most of the information collected by the device can literally be seen on the fly. Computers have the smarts too, but they are not portable as is the phone. And, the programmer who wrote the app knows about Adroid and iOS which are not Linux or Windows operating systems. Developers tend to do one or the other, and not both. As an aside, Microsoft understands this separation and is now incorporating Android apps into their Windows 11 store.

In order to get a feel for what is happening you can look at those devices tied to a smartphone in the same light as you would peripherals that are tied to computers. What good is a printer, smart as they are and All-In-One to boot, without a computer to attach itself to? And, when you buy a peripheral, you certainly do have to be sure that the drivers are available for your particular equipment. They don't advertise that because most of the customers have no idea what is a driver. And, you must also know that Apple Computer is an exclusive club. Anything from Apple only works within the Apple family. Thus if you have an Apple watch, you can't expect it to work on android or Windows or Linux. It's designed specifically for Apple. And, believe it or not, a lot of people are not aware of that.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, it looks like I lost my long dissertation anyhow. When I hit send it asked me to Log-In.
Now I don't know where my file went.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Don't know why, when I went to reply this screen kept scrolling down and down and down. Did a reload and now it is OK.

I've used this 710 trick for years. My first wife worked for a couple of car dealers, and she used it a few times herself.
One of the parts stores near me, when someone asked where the motor oil was, they would say, you can find the 710 fluid in aisle 5 on the left side.

OK, I have a pulse-oximeter that can read overnight. It has enough memory for 9 hours. Most doctors have them and loan them to patients for an overnight test. The output can be read on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines via the USB port. The output file is plain text.
WHEW I didn't lose this. Accidentally hit Ctrl-Z I think. It only backed me up one screen.
It prints out the 540 readings, in four columns, using any text based program like notepad on Windows or GEdit on Linux, and it fits it all on only 2 pages.
I wear a normal pulse-oximeter around my neck with a timer. And have another at the kitchen counter where I take my meds and do my daily tests.
And as you know, I exercise three days a week for around a half hour. I monitor my O2 and pulse while doing so. I get an instant readout so I know if I need to turn up the O2 a bit, and if I've hit my heart rate for that exercise. Which by the way is a lot less than a normal person because I'm on meds that control my heart rate to a certain extent.

I guess some of the devices use BluTooth, but I think the ones I tried all used WiFi to your cell phone. Now it is only logical, if it is using WiFi I don't see why their program cannot be written to use a computer or netbook too, not just a cell phone app.
If they can write a program for Android or iOS, why not make one for Windows, Mac, and Linux too?
After all, in my case anyhow, there are two computers in the room I exercise in. One is my wife's, the other is connected to the TV I can see from both the stationary bike and the treadmill. Heck, the treadmill has a port to control the speed of a video if you buy their laptop screen to put on the treadmill. Which I didn't buy by the way. But the program does let you select forest path, mountain path, riverside path, or cross country path going through several different selected areas. Optionally you could buy other scenes, like historical sites, zoo's, worldwide travel, etc. They have lots of them. But as far as I know, they only run on their own laptop like display system. Heck, it might be X-box or something like that for all I know.

Well, let me tell you Yogi. I have two HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477's one is and fdn, the other an fnw.
I can scan and print without them being connected to a computer.
I can scan to a USB Stick without them being connected to a computer.
And I can Print from a USB stick, without them being connected to a computer, as long as I saved the print job the right way to a USB stick for the printer to use it in that fashion. Basically it is just print to file, but the font's have to be embedded in the file. This is for quick print like text only pages. You can also save as a PDF and print from the USB stick, but then it does so as an image file, so is slow. Much faster to just print from the computer, hi hi.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ah good, I was able to get back to it. WHEW!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I am very glad to learn that you were able to recover that post. I don't know what you are doing there to cause the problem, but you should stop doing it. :lol:

The life of a program developer is not as simple as it once used to be. Much of the complication arises out of the many different platforms on which their software could be asked to run. Making something for iOS, Android, Windows, AND Linux is quite a challenge just due to the mechanics involved. As you can imagine what you see on a desktop will not render the same way on a smartphone. Think about your websites that Google wanted you to change to be mobile friendly. Some desktop operations simply won't work on the small screens of those mobile devices. Thus, it's hard to come by a software developer who has all the skills necessary to write four different versions to accommodate the different hardware platforms that are popular.

Making a livelihood as a software developer isn't what it used to be either. Back in the old days you could write something for Windows XP and it's an instant success. People download it and pay you for it directly. Or you let them use it for free with all those adware panels embedded in the action screen. In that case you get paid by the advertisers. In the year 2021 life in the world of computing devices is infinity more complicated. There is no Windows XP market anymore, and in fact Windows in general isn't where all the software is going these days. Microsoft, Apple, and Google are all competitors and want different things. So if you write an app for Apple, that excludes you from the market for Android and Windows who can't run Apple programs. Another factor is marketing. Income from your software brainchild comes from the platform store. You don't get paid directly as you did in the old days. The Apple store, or Google's, or Windows' all screen your product for suitability and pay you per copy that is sold in their store. In fact if you develop for Apple, you might have to sign a contract saying you won't put your masterpiece in anybody else's store. Plus, if you are not independent and work for one of those companies, you won't be writing software for some other platform. Apple is a good example because a lot of their hardware is exclusive. If you have an Apple watch, for example, you can't use it with Android or Windows. So why bother writing a program for something that you can't sell to? And I know you disagree, but Linux is a no brainer. Not many developers write software for niche markets.

All the examples you give for your smart printers are valid and useful. I'd guess most printers sold in this century have the same capabilities. I'd also guess you would not own a printer if you did not also own a computer, be it desktop or mobile. A computer may not be required to make a copy of an existing hard document, but that's not what the bulk of the printer users are doing these days. Most of them are printing what they generate on their computing devices.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Makes sense!
I thought it was fairly easy to Port a program over to different OSs, with only a few minor changes if they used things for a proprietary coded area.
Just like things I wrote in basic using peeks, pokes and calls wouldn't work on a PC because it didn't have those options.

One salesman who was here, had his laptop and a small printer that still used 8-1/2 x 11 paper. But the printer itself was only like 2-1/2 inches wide and about 10 inches long. Not sure how it worked though, it was only about an inch thick so no room for ink cartridges. It could be he had to use a thermal paper too?
I bring this up, because he had to connect to our WiFi to get the forms he downloaded for me to sign.
When I got up to my office later in the day, all 4 copies he printed on his little printer, were sitting there in my laser printer, all printed out nice and neat, hi hi. This was good because now I had a copy of the papers I signed, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

All the major computer players have unique hardware. Read that to mean processors. Apple and now Google are in fact making their own processors to go into their unique products. Windows and Linux are getting together in some degree due to open source standards, but I've not heard what Apple or Google are doing in that regard, if anything. Given all the different custom processors our there, you must realize that they all require different machine codes to run properly. That means the higher level programming languages are different too. I would not doubt that Google and Apple have their own programming languages to suit their own needs. None of it is portable to other platforms. Think also about your own experiences with BASIC. Would any of your programs run on a Unix computer?

The cloud is a marvelous place at times. I don't know how you got those documents on your printer, but I can imagine a scenario where the cloud is involved. I've seen those thin bar shaped printers and yes they are intended to be portable. Many of the people who performed services for me want my e-mail address and that is how they get invoices to me should I need one. Several legal documents that required an electronic signature were handled in similar fashion. In those cases a secure server is generally at the other (legal) end to receive my e-signed papers. My HP printer has a web server embedded and you can send things for printing to a website that my printer is connected to. I set it up as a possibility but never used it. It's just a lot easier to e-mail something.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Actually, the only reason Micro$oft has jumped on the Linux Kernel support bandwagon is for their Hypervisor.
The biggest contributors to the Linux Kernel are Huawei, Intel, Texas Instruments, IBM, Google, and thousands more.

The Linux Kernel is Modular and Monolithic, so drivers, etc. can be added to it easily.
But the actual Kernel without the bloat is only 2mb and many devices that use the LInux Kernel, don't need much more than what is required for their particular device.

You are right about Google having their own programming language, even so, they still utilize many other languages as a part of the whole package. A fairly new computer programming language called Rust is used by both ms and Apple for some things.

Actually, nearly all programs written for any Linux Distro will run on Unix with the proper libraries installed.
Just because a program written for BSD won't run on Red Hat or Debian directly, they can be ported to do so.
But both will run on Unix, because Unix contains all the different Unix type kernel directives, and almost all versions of Linux which is why it is so bloated.

As you said, and is factual, all a processor knows is 1s and 0s. Machine Language is written for the specific processor, and after that comes whichever kernel you choose. I may have the order wrong here, but you have the CPU, Machine Language, Assembly Language, and finally the Operating System itself. But it is more complicated than that by a long shot.

My very first printer, the Integral Data Systems 9 pin dot matrix, had it's own internal fonts, and it could be driven using only 3 wires from the serial port. It had like 3 different full font sets in it is all. I have a Swintec typewriter that worked the same way. Which I could also pause so I could change the Daisy Wheel for like doing Italic words, or to the big bold Daisy Wheel for headlines. It was just a matter of adding a certain code symbol in with the text on the screen. It was done similar to the way HTML codes are added, an   for example from HTML. When using a computer to print to the typewriter, you had to have the &start; &pause; &stop; after sending an &pause; it would stop printing until you hit any key, then it would start again. The key you pressed had to be on the computer, not on the typewriter keyboard, hi hi.

Later on when I bought other 9 pin dot matrix printers, they only printed what was sent to them from the computer, including images. So you could use nearly any font, but being 9 pins well, that's what it looked like, hi hi.
I used to buy uninked ribbons so I could ink them in whatever colors were available for stamp pad inks.
Being in the florist business at the time, we ordered mostly a medium green ribbon for our printers there for printing out invoices. Made us look more upscale, hi hi.

Printers became more fancy, more versatile, and the prices kept coming down.
We had one printer used only for business letters that used reels of carbon film, like my Swintec typewriter used, only these were made for that special printer. It made all of our business correspondence look top notch, almost like it was laser printed, years before lasers were invented, hi hi.

After we got the Lisa System, we had a POS receipt printer that was the envy of all the stores around us.
Now the rolls of receipt paper themselves were pre-printed with our companies two column landmark sign, as was all of our stationery. But this was faded into the background on the paper. The printer itself printed in dark black easy to read numbers and letters. Basically the same info as found on today's receipts you get from a grocery store register, only much nicer looking. I don't remember how it worked any more though. But I think it too used a carbon ribbon since those were so popular at the time.

I've never messed with any cloud stuff yet, other than putting things on dropbox.
Heck, been so long since I used dropbox I don't even have an icon for it in my upper panel anymore.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The first word processor I used was not the first one invented. That would be Word Perfect and I was using Word Star on a CPM operating system which fitted entirely on a 5 1/4" floppy disk. That computer was connected to a Epsom dot matrix printer that cost more than most computers do these days. I liked the idea of word processing, but it was truly a pain in the drain to use. Special characters had to be embedded in the original document so that the printed version would look as intended. It did indeed resemble the way early HTML looked because those control codes did exactly what HTML does. All I can say is that I'm very happy technology moved on past that point. It's all WYSIWYG now and fonts are not a limitation as they once were. I don't do much printing anymore which is fortunate given the price of ink. But when I do print something, it is easy peasey.

Schnucks and a few other places have the best POS machines I've had the pleasure of engaging in all my shopping days. The till tart scans everything and the register tallies it all up. I then wave my credit card over the POS box and I'm done. She hands me the receipt that is printed on two sides. Aesthetics is not a consideration on those grocery store receipts. One side has the vital statistics for the purchase and the other side is filled with advertising. Oddly enough much of that advertising relates to what I have purchased that day, which by the way is a bit odd. The paper is thermal sensitive and comes out the traditional gray thermal printing for the grocery list. The ads, however, are color and full of graphics. I used to think they were pre-printed rolls, and they might be, but frequently the ads correspond to what I have purchased. It takes some smarts to get that part right.

Not too many years ago there was a lot of discussion about which company will dominate the computer world of the future. Arguments were made for and against the big three: Microsoft, Google, and Apple. I guess there is still room for any of them to crash and burn, but it's not likely. There have been feeble attempts to get Linux computers to market, and I think Ubuntu is having wet dreams about that. It could happen, but it seems as if it won't achieve anything like the aspirations of the Linux developers. The biggest problem is what they consider an asset, i.e. their diversity. We all know "Linux" but what exactly is Linux? It's many things and that's the problem. You can't market many things under one name. It has it's place in the background where it was born and fits comfortably. Kudo's for them in the server realm. But I doubt Linux can ever become popular in the consumer market. A lot of things must change for that to happen.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya, my first printer cost like 1,600 bucks, but then too, my computers back then were a little over that, hi hi.

My son used to be in the cash register roll advertising business. Most of the ads placed on those rolls are already the top selling items and one or two things they want to push. As far as the stores own ads go.
Other rolls have local business advertising on them, some with coupons, etc.
Most of the stores around here have their own advertising on the backs of the rolls, if they have anything at all.
Only our larger stores have the scanners you can just wave your card over, the big chains.
And all but a few now have the chip reader terminals. Only a couple of places still use the magnetic scan slots.
But they are most often used for Gift Cards.

I don't think Linux ever had a goal of penetrating the desktop market in a way like ms or Apple has.
That opens up a whole can of worms they don't really want to deal with.
Linux is happy running the entire world so ms and Apple have something to connect to, hi hi.
It's only an added bonus if you run Linux Distro's at home, or the office floor.