Scalable Vector Graphics

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Scalable Vector Graphics

Post by yogi »

Apparently the svg format for images has been around a long time. So I've read, but never had an occasion to use it until recently. Being easily scalable this format for images is ideal for mobile devices of all sizes. I guess that's the reason why the developers of phpBB decided it was a good idea to start using .sfg graphics in their product. They want to appeal to the mobile generation.

All that is good for progress, but the Paint Shop Pro software that i use to deal with graphics doesn't work with the .svg format. When you do research on the subject PSP is included as software that can handle it, but MINE cannot. The reason why mine cannot is because it's installed in Windows 7. The .svg format kicks in at the Windows 8 level and not before that. So, it has started already. Windows 7 hasn't been dead for but a couple weeks and there are already things I can't do with it.

It's a minor irritation at the moment because all I need it for is to manipulate the site logos to my satisfaction. Starting with the last phpBB update I need to be able to massage svg files if I want to customize this site. It turns out there are ways to convert the graphics, if I don't mind doing it with an online service. I could install PHP on Windows 10, but that's not a stable release. It changes weekly, not to mention the smallish monitor on the laptop compared to the big screen on the desktop.

I can anticipate the response to my rant. GIMP can do it. Well, I don't know if it can and I don't care. I'm not going to get involved with GIMP unless I'm desperate. For now I'm not desperate. I can also buy a new version of PSP, but still would not be able to use it in Windows 7.

Damn you, progress!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm. sfg is a proprietary format owned by Syn something or other.
I think I would stick with svg if you can and need that format.

Actually, no Gimp can't do much with svg other than open it as paths.
Gimp is raster graphics.
Inkscape can handled vector graphics, although I've never used it.

The only place I've ever seen svg used heavily was in programs that ran on Flash.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The graphics I'm talking about for this website are SVG formatted, mostly the logo in the upper left corner. There were some references to Google docs being able to handle it. My version of PSP can do both vector graphics and raster graphics as is indicated in the menu choices. However, it won't open the image files I'm interested in. I don't know what Windows 7 is missing to prevent all this, but perhaps I'll find out if, or when, I do a little more research into the matter. That probably won't happen until the next upgrade.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Here is a website that shows all the programs that can open svg files, plus a few that can edit them.
https://extension.nirsoft.net/svg

Programs that let you work with svg files besides Adobe's own software are; Corel Draw, PaintShop Pro, Inkscape, and Gimp.

And here is a list of programs that let you create and edit svg files.
https://www.justinmind.com/blog/11-grea ... designers/