Windows Moving To A Linuix Kernel

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Windows Moving To A Linuix Kernel

Post by yogi »

They HS I attended promoted itself as college prep, but that was only one of the choices. It seems they must have started out as a vocational school. The automobile shops were always popular. Part of that is because the school was all male during the time I was there. While I found the drafting and the shops to be interesting, they had no value at all as far as college preparations were concerned. My time in high school was that era when college degrees were just becoming necessary to get a decent job, but mostly not needed. I figured I'd be ahead of the curve with a degree. Little did I know how difficult that would be. I think I'm better prepared now at my age and could possible earn a degree in something. I don't have the incentive, however.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I started out as a smart kid, then got dumber the older I got, hi hi.
I went to a College Prep School for 4th and 5th grade. Chaminade College!
Expensive school to say the least, and as STRICT as a military college.
4 hours of homework every night got me really fed up with it though.
I got straight A's up until then, and they really loaded up the work on us.
Because it was a college prep, I was doing good to get C's and a couple B's.
But then when I went back to regular school I got straight A's again for a couple of years.
Then in HS, I was back down to C's and a D's, hi hi.
I only went to school 33 days my entire senior year.
Basically, I only went in on days a class had a test, and for exams, including finals.
I normally aced every test, B+ed on exams, and B- on the finals.
But when they average it all out with the daily zero's, it pulled be all the way down to a D- which was enough to graduate, although they did give me a punishment to server to get my diploma. Adding the seating stickers to each chair inside the auditorium for if it rained, and outside on the football field where the ceremony would take place.
yogi

Post by yogi »

To be honest I don't recall the exact rules when I attended high school, but I do believe now you have to be physically present in class for a predetermined number of days. If you don't meet the quota, you don't get credit for that year's education. It's different in college. Once you pay the tuition they don't care if you ever show up. All you need to do is be there for the tests and final exams so that you can get a grade. I know of a gal that made it through first year law school without buying a single book and only going in for the exams. Oddly enough they asked her to leave because she was not lawyer material. She did get nearly straight A's however.

My mom went to the same parochial grammar school that I eventually attended. The same order of nuns and priests were running the place, but of course the staff was all different. Apparently her mom thought school was a waste of time and that served to embolden my mom. She would argue with the nuns who would call in her parents who said they didn't care. Well, mom never finished 6th grade because she couldn't deal with the discipline of being in a Catholic school. I don't know a whole lot about dad's education, but he did finish high school. That was way more than he needed in his day.

I did like you and became dumber the longer I went to school. Looking back on it all I think I know why. I was about a year behind in age for the classes I took and given my parents were not that well educated I had no learning skills. I never read an entire book, for example, until I was married. That didn't matter much until I was competing on a college level. I could learn the material, but it took me twice as long as the other students. I think I'm pretty smart now and you might figure I had a university degree in something, not that it matters anymore.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Because my birthday was in October, and you had to be 5 to start Kindergarten on or before September 1st, I was year behind most of the kids. I was a bookworm, not about stories, but about how things are made and done. I've always been that way. I guess too, being in a family owned business, I learned a lot of things, even the kids of other business owners were not taught. For example: I knew how to properly make change before I was 6, and although never really good at math my whole life, simple everyday math I did good at. Had to learn because it was important in the greenhouse business, especially calculating the number of pots we could plant for a given bed space.
From first to fourth grade, I was in the KMOX spelling bee on the radio. Never won but came mighty close. Had to win a lot of times just to make it that far, so I was proud of even making it to the broadcast show.

I attended Catholic schools most of my early life.
1st grade was St. Peter's School in Kirkwood, while they were building St. Clement, the land for which was sold to the church and school by my grandfather for a buck to make it legal.
Went to St. Clement for 2nd to 4th grade, but was so far ahead of everyone else, my parents sent me to Chaminade College Prep school, which was also Catholic. They were so far ahead of me, I had to repeat 4th grade, and stayed there for 5th grade too. If it were not for a major hailstorm that nearly put us out of business, all the glass broken out of our greenhouses, I would have stayed there, but I suppose dad couldn't afford it after our business was in shatters.
So I was back at St. Clements through 8th grade, then I went to Vianney High School their first your open for business. Loved that school but since I couldn't pass French, I couldn't go back, they were strict, like Chaminade was.
I finished High School at Kirkwood Public High School.

Now, although I don't have a degree in anything, I do have over 18 years of college under my belt. Mostly done through individual classes as an auditor, and countless seminars. Many of those classes and seminars were required for me to get certain horticultural and pesticide licenses. Plus learning how to run greenhouses and the florist.
Other classes had to do with Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, and Construction, some at trade schools.

Many considered me a strange bird, and a workaholic, because ever since I was an upper teenager, I was always working at something, often many things at once too. A lot of it had to do with the florist industry where I developed several things for the industry, some of which were manufactured and sold for us by outside companies.
Plus I did a lot of redesigning of work areas in the greenhouse and the cut flower shop, adding amenities that made for a better and faster work stations, and overall in the buildings.

I've already mentioned all the small businesses I started and resold later so I could start even more.
But the really big thing for me was learning to become a licensed plumber first, then an electrician. Never pursued the HVAC as far as a license, mainly because I could hire those who did that kind of work cheaply enough. But I did go on to get my general contractors license, part of which required I teach a class for Votec which I did out in Tempe Arizona.
Besides those major licenses I wanted, I also held other licenses not associated with construction, and mostly which had to do with the floral and horticultural industry. Most people don't realize greenhouses are inspected by the government, and there are many elements in the industry that require a license to do.
It's really not much different than the restaurant industry, where I had to have a license called "Applied Food Service Sanitation" along with various food prep and storage licenses, etc.
Beside my pesticide applicators license, I had to have a seedman's license, a propagation license, be steam boiler certified, although our boilers were hot water not steam, it applied to both, and about four others I don't even remember what they were anymore. Oh dig this, in our restaurant we had to have an EGG License in order to sell hard boiled eggs.
Now we could sell fried eggs or scrambled eggs, IF the eggs came from a can of pre-cracked eggs, without that license.
We could also make fried eggs from eggs in the shell if we had a egg food prep license, but to sell an egg still in the shell, cooked or uncooked, you had to have an egg license, hi hi. By the way, so did taverns who sold hard boiled eggs.

And I know I'm getting way off the topic here. But when making hamburgers, we could NOT add anything to the meat, which means no onions, soy, or anything else to the meat, otherwise it was illegal to use the term Hamburger.
We could call them anything else such as Better Burger, Joe's Burger, SteakBurger, except Shake n Steak had that trademarked, hi hi. I don't know if that is still the law or not, but I imagine it still is.
So when I see on a menu Black Angus Burger, instead of Black Angus Hamburger, I usually ask what they put in the meat.
Oh, here is something else. We could put salt and pepper on the diners table, but we were NOT allowed to put something like Garlic Salt on the table, because that is a blended product. We could use it in the kitchen, and on the foods, but not put a shaker on the diners table. Weird laws we had to know about to keep from getting into trouble.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's a lot of years of college without earning a degree for the effort. Of course you did not need the degree so that you did the right thing by auditing. In my case I worked cheap because I didn't have that degree. I probably missed out on nearly a million dollars of earnings over the 36 years doing it the way I did. A couple times I was told I could get into management if I had the degree, which I took as a compliment but not as a motivation. If I had to do it over again I might have gone the business degree rout instead of the arts and sciences I enrolled in. Then again, you would be very suspicious of me by now because I'm sure I would have been a successful entrepreneur making tons of money. LOL

When I read stories like the one you just related about licenses and esoteric business laws, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to deal with all that bureaucracy. I think most of those requirements are designed to protect the business owner as well as the general public. Anything that goes wrong in your business would invite lawyers and multi-million dollar lawsuits. Who needs that when you are running a pizzeria? Then again, a license to serve eggs seems a bit radical. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

St. Louis County was about the hardest county in the world to get your electricians license, although I didn't know that at the time I got mine, hi hi.
To be licensed you have to learn residential, commercial, industrial, and hospital, and pass each of those tests with a 75% or greater, 80% for hospital. Ironically, the commercial test was only 72% to pass, hi hi.
To me this was not logical because I would NEVER be doing work in a hospital and probably not in what would be called industrial either. Although when getting all the HID lighting in Wonder Plants I would have used it, except I hired it done.
As far as I'm concerned, Hospital should be an entirely different license all-together, because everything is different.
The only difference between residential, commercial, and industrial is the amount of current you are dealing with. The formula's are the same in all three. But for hospitals not only are the formulas different, but the entire design and materials are different too.

I could have obtained a Degree in Horticultural Operation, and Greenhouse Management. I had all the required classes and seminars under my belt, and would have only had to pay the fees and take the tests. I probably should have, but at the time I was eligible I had one kid and another on the way, and was moving into a large home that needed a bit of work. So you might say, money was already to tight to fork over a few grand just so I could get a piece of paper. Also at that time I was manager of the flower shop and we had no plans of ever closing. I would be taking over for my dad in only a few more years. All I can say is it is a good thing I managed to get my plumbing and electrical licenses when I did, because that is what I fell back on when the 71 year old florist closed down permanently. We were actually much older than 71 years, well over a hundred years, but 1913 was when grandfather incorporated as a florist.
yogi

Post by yogi »

A degree in a field of study has a few not so obvious benefits. One thing I know from personal experience is that there are many more opportunities available to people with degrees than to us non-degreed folks. Those opportunities are generally in the open job market but also internally once you have been hired. In your case it didn't matter much because your family owned the business and you weren't planning on going anywhere else.

There is an intangible benefit with earning a degree that has to do with the way one thinks and pursues knowledge. All those useless courses one must take to get that sheepskin are exercises in discipline, not to mention making you aware of things outside of your specialty. Researching a thesis paper is a learning experience all of it's own that helps one make better and informed decisions later on in life. There too your creativity and ability to think outside the box has outpaced any benefits critical thinking lessons might have taught you.

Then there is the feeling of accomplishment. Four years of intense study to prove you got what it takes is invaluable for building self-confidence. You need that kind of drive to be competitive and accomplish difficult tasks. Again, it shows others who may be evaluating you that you can achieve what you set out trying to accomplish. I know you have a lot of confidence even if your first battle wasn't focused on a degree of higher education. So, yes, an official citation of your learning skills is not a prerequisite for success.

I don't know if your career path would have been different if you had a degree. You did the right thing for your circumstances. All those certifications and licenses you earned got you to where you are today. Your legacy is something to be proud of. Believe it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

If you do some checking around, I think you'll find that most employed folks with degrees, are not working in a field even remotely related to their degree, except in certain fields like engineering or chemistry.

When I was working in highways and planning, my boss had a masters degree in Language Arts, his BS was in Political Science, yet there he was, the head of the engineering department.

A fellow engineer at MRTC only had a BS in Oceanography. I once asked him why such an odd degree for a permanent midwesterner. His reply was most apropos, it had the lowest amount of pre-requisites, some the required classes were hard, but the main classes were simple. The parts he liked most was hydraulic affects and is what he uses most at his job at MRTC. I went away scratching my head. I had already worked there four years and never saw anything at all that had to do with hydraulics. But then too, I didn't know what he was working on, could have been the pumping stations?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your observation regarding people working outside their degree is valid. That just goes to demonstrate the value of having that degree. It's not always about the field of study you pursue. Getting that degree teaches you how to think, to solve problems. and deal with a diverse population of people. You acquired those skills without the paper to prove it, but an office full of engineers does not respond kindly to a manager who is non-degreed. When I was terminated from Motorola I had 36 years of high tech training in a company that was on the bleeding edge of it's industry. Didn't mean a thing because I had nothing to put on my resume indicating the degree I earned. I got three interviews out of 300 resumes being sent. The experience means something, but when you are up against 100 other people trying out for the same job, it takes more than experience to get there.

I often think of the value in a degree when I am forced to search for a doctor. They go to college for, what?, A dozen years? It's a long tedious drill getting through medical school which requires a lot of inner strength and dedication to complete. But, as you must know, not all doctors are the same. Even the one who ranked last in his class is still called a doctor. It's the degree that does it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know big business is a whole lot different than small business.
In the '70s, most of the businesses in our town and surrounding towns would not hire anyone with a college degree.
The logic was simple behind their decision. They were looking for people who were not only trainable, but not transient either. Most with degrees only take the job as a temporary step in finding something else.
Having a high turnover is a very expensive proposition for a small business to deal with.

Having an education is good in many ways, but most really have no street smarts.
They rely on making enough money to pay for the the things they have no idea how to do.
Even simple things like fixing a flat tire, or figuring out why a door doesn't close properly.
Talk about plumbing or electric and they are either totally lost or scared of it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's not for me to say what life is like in the small business world. I never ran a business bigger than a lemonade stand. And that was for one day only. LOL I do know the stakes in the small business world are not as great as you would find in enterprise level business. The high stakes and meaner competition demands a better resourced staff to survive. I'd agree that university educated people are not always required for a business to be a success. It's really not the degree. As I said above the point of getting that formal training is to learn how to think big in whatever you field of interest happens to be.

I happen to know how to fix a flat tire and am pretty sure I can hang a door square and plumb. But, why should I if I can afford to hire somebody else to do it?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

At one time, I could afford to buy darn near anything I wanted.
But medical bills for the late wife literally wiped me out.
And now my own health and age prevent me from doing anything I would like to do, such as earn a decent income.
It doesn't matter how much you amass for a rainy day, or for your retirement needs.
It can all be wiped out in a matter of weeks or months down to rock bottom zero or even below zero.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have a lot of empathy for you, Gary. The fact that you can survive on what meager resources you have is truly amazing. I've become convinced that life is nothing more than a series of random events to which we react. Judging by some of the stories you have related, it's obvious that you have been through the entire gamut of randomness. As you point out, it's a rare individual who has enough money to recover from catastrophic illnesses. There are some who can, and the gap between them and us is widening every day. I have no illusions about financial security. We were lucky to not have to cash in our reserves just to survive. The truth is we are getting older and that's the time in life when people become more vulnerable and dependent upon the good judgment of others. That vulnerability is bad enough, but losing the independence we once had is devastating. I don't see a way out of it. It's a cultural thing over which we have no control.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Debi and I were just talking the other night about this very topic.
The number of people we have dropped everything for to go help them out is considerable.
Yet here we are, nobody is left really. Who would do for us?
The simple answer is nobody, unless they were somehow forced into it, but it wouldn't be their choice.
What people say, and what they actually do in real life is usually totally the opposite.
Big families with lots of relatives nearby is a thing of the past. And even if you do have a few distant cousins left around, you probably don't even know their address or phone number, they moved out of the family circle decades ago.
The days of everyone converging on grandma's house for a Sunday get together basically ended with grandma.
Her kids may have tried to carry it on for a few years, but it eventually fizzled out too.
The times have changed my friend, and for the most part, we are all alone out here in the cold cruel world.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I read about a psychologist who dealt with people during the Holocaust and thereafter. The book was called Man's Search For Meaning wherein the author describes how he came up with his personal brand of psychology. I don't recall much about the psychology now, but one point in particular has stayed with me ever since I read about it. It seems that many of the doomed people waiting to be terminated still had some purpose and meaning to their existence. Everything was taken from these people, everything, but the one thing that could not be eradicated was their sense of personal dignity. How true that is. You may have lost it all but they can't take away your thoughts. As long as you have that sense of self-awareness, you have meaning, purpose and direction. I may die alone, but I will be standing tall as I walk to meet the devil who calls for me.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Excellent Yogi! Very meaningful!