[split] Tweets - Notes to Self

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: [split] Tweets - Notes to Self

Post by Kellemora »

I bought a box of 32 gig SD cards to put some data on to send to my son.
I'm getting a few files that say, cannot copy, but no meaningful error message, just skip and cancel buttons.

My original genealogy image files used spaces in the name and could not be read by windows computers even though I had saved the files to an NTSF drive.
Oh, here is something else, if I save to an SD card, the + sign gets changed to an Underscore _, but the Parentheses stay.

You have noticed I am not using any illegal characters for Windows. Yet you get the error message when trying to save the file. In my sons case, he sees nothing after the the first Parentheses nor does he see that.

On his older laptop, he sees the file folder and file names in either all caps are all lower case. This is the reason I originally used a space between the names. Some of my file names for the date I have it this way -a1972 to show it is only an about date if I don't know the real birth year.

Yes the image came through just fine!

Looks to me like Linux handles file names a whole lot better than Windoze.
It doesn't even know what I does and does not like, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Unix, the precursor to Linux, does not allow spaces in file names. They are OK for directories, but not recommended. The space character is often a delimiter when parsing which is why it is recommended not to use them. Windows tried to fix that problem, but as you have pointed out they have not always accomplished their objective. They do well in the GUI for the file manager, but the command console is more strict with parsing. A good administrative practice is to avoid all special characters in naming things.

The error message I posted is from Windows 7; I didn't try it in Windows 10. It seems to be an erroneous error message and I have no idea why it's doing what it is doing. I can only surmise the parenthesis and plus signs are playing havoc with the file manager.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I agree about the Space shouldn't be used in file names, because if you try do so something in Terminal it does reap havoc if you don't add quotes around what you are doing.
Many programs that see a file with spaces will automatically add an underscore in lieu of the space when you save the file.
Even so, all file structures should recognize the Unicode Code Point at least up to a certain number for file names. Namely 0000 to 007F at least without problems. 0000 up to 024F would be better.

My son can finally see the rest of the file names. He had Extensions turned off and tried turning them on, then suddenly the file names all appeared, even though Folders don't have file name extensions. So I don't know what gives with that.
He actually turned extensions on so he could see which ones were jpg and which ones were tiff files. He was surprised to see a few pcx files in there too. I told him any that have a pcx extension are also saved as jpg files.
He gets an error message from Windows that it cannot open pcx files in a readable format.
I told him to download GIMP for Windows, courtesy of Linux, and use it if he want's to see Windows Files that Windows doesn't recognize as their OWN file name extensions anymore, hi hi.
The things people with Windows computers have to put up with, makes me wonder why they don't just move up to Linux, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm making a sincere effort to migrate to Linux. You can read my many other threads to see how it is all progressing.

For now I'm sticking with Windows. It just works, for me anyway.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm glad Windows works for you. Since XP expired, I've never got Windows to work really right for me. It is one of the things that drove me back to giving Linux another shot, and I've been using Linux ever since, because it just works. If you learn how to do the strange stuff you may want to do with it, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I only had incidental contact with XP. In my experience Windows 7 is the the best Microsoft ever created.

I posted elsewhere about my experiences with Pepperment. The developer who responded was mystified by the fact that I'm using Windows. He never figured a guy like me would be interested in Linux. I suppose I should not be bringing Windows related problems to a Linux forum but those same folks who keep telling me Linux is better also keep creating problems for those of us who are not confined to the Linux box. If Linux is so wonderful, why doesn't it work as advertised?

My demands for an operating system are not as strict as those you apparently assert. I admit that I don't do anything but entertain myself with Linux, and that may be the reason why I can't embrace it as fully as Windows. I read something a while back during my UEFI research that I did not want to believe but am gradually drifting in the direction of concurrence. The comment was that the strategy of mixing Windows and Linux is fatally flawed. They should never be dual booted side by side. In fact Linux should always be stand alone and never dual booted, particularly not in a UEFI environment. I don't fully accept that premise, but the more I dig into Linux the closer I'm coming to that same conclusion.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

People who have come to my office laugh at all the computers up here.
Most of them are really old, some sitting around on the floor are broken, usually a bad video card.
But when I sit at my desk to do something like writing, they see why I have separate computers.
The only drawback is I cannot cut n paste from one computer to another without using a shared folder.
But if I had to a lot of copy and paste operations, I would open them on the same computer in two different monitors.
Although I haven't used two computers to play the same game at the same time lately, for some sneaky reasons, I was doing that for a while too.

I have Debian and Linux Mint on all of the computers, and a couple I keep using Linux Mint as the main OS, but on my main computer I use all day everyday, for that I use Debian.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have a vague idea of why you need a museum full of vintage computers to do all your tasks. However, as an alternative, it is very common to be able to copy and paste from a virtual machine into and out of it's host. But I have a feeling that functionality isn't the only motivation behind your office architecture. The cost of hardware and software has often been part of the dialog and you certainly seem to have mastered that part of the operation. It's not surprising given all the business background you have. For me, computing is entertainment. I keep a few financial records in the computer but it's not like my income depends on it. Linux always was a curiosity for me and now I have the time to explore it as opposed to use it for something practical. I do not believe that I'm trying to do anything beyond the design intent of either Windows or Linux. I'm not that smart to try pushing the envelope. If I learned nothing else from my Linux adventures, I learned that the Linux users and the Windows users are in two separate camps. I am one of the few, very few, who is trying to integrate both of them into a single box. I'm often asked why? My only viable reply is, because I can (and you can't). :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ha ha. Actually, a lot of Linux users are dual boot with Windows, but they are not trying out different Distro's, they find one they like and stick with it.
After they made some of the better Linux programs available to Windows users, we actually lost Linux users who moved back to Windows. We had hoped seeing how our programs work it would draw more over to Linux, but that seems to have backfired, hi hi.

I just hate throwing away anything that still works.
At the time I got my first KVM switch, I had my Windows XP computer in my desk, and another older one on the desk behind me with it's own monitor. I would load the scanned paperwork I would be typing from on the oldest one and do my typing on the one in my desk. Then I bought the KVM so I didn't need two keyboards and meeces.
That was all and good, except at that time I didn't have dual monitor capability.
So the KVM really didn't do me any good yet, so I disconnected it.
Well, I then got a new machine for the frau and brought here machine up here.
Then I used the KVM again for my two computers and used hers to display what I was typing from.
As time went on, and I moved over to Linux, I took one XP machine and used it for accounting.
And then converted all the rest to dual boot with XP and Ubuntu.
Used one machine to try out different OS's and experiment with Debian which was not turn-key back then.
Slowly as I got more used to Linux and their programs, I began doing my accounting on Linux, but still had to use XP for my genealogy program which I never updated. So the data was not compatible with newer versions.
I don't really like the Linux genealogy programs, and couldn't afford to upgrade the Windows versions with the companies going out of business or changing hands and doing things a different way, so I bit the bullet and learned to use the Linux genealogy program. It's actually pretty good, but annoying as all get out to use. I finally moved everything up to Ancestry on-line, which is really just a display program, not an actual genealogy program so there is a lot you can't do there. I do keep backups and can load them into Gramps and get the charts I want that way. But I only keep new Ancestry backups occasionally. Backups only save raw data, not all the extra things, like images or documents you add.

The Silver Yogi was the first computer I had where I could hook up two monitors and use them as individual screens or as mirrored screens. Having individual screens can come in handy for rewriting work, but I keep it in mirror mode most of the time, because my mouse ends up off my main screen, hi hi.

I must say though, the Silver Yogi is the best computer I've ever had, even without the fancy graphics card I removed.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your observation about dual booting is very true. If a person is not running a single operating system on their computer, the next most common configuration is Windows dual booting with a version of Linux. Some of the problems I've run into doing research is that there isn't enough information about multi-boot configurations. You would think it's no different than dual boot, but then why am I having all these technical problems? LOL Well, I'm a curious sort of guy. Not only are multiple OS's fascinating to me but also the way they are deployed, Linux on a stick, VM's, et.al.. I can do all those things on a single computer in fact.

All I can say about the Silver Yogi is that it's Intel based which might be the reason why you see such improvement in performance. The missing graphics card is very capable of running multiple monitors, but apparently so is the motherboard embedded graphics (which I'd guess is Intel also). I regret that I could not deliver a fully functional computer, but I am also very pleased that you are making such good use of the basic machine. It makes me wonder what you could do with the ASUS tower. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I was using both of my towers with the Asus mobo's and AMD CPU's without difficulty.
The first one had 4 gigs of memory, but I took 2 gigs out to build the second computer.
So both only had 2 gigs in each. I never saw a difference between 2 gigs and 4 gigs.
It took me a while to get the Silver Yogi set up with Debian, but I really was surprised at the difference in speed.
I know you said it was the bus speed as the reason, plus the extra memory.
I did up my one computer from 2 up to 8 gigs of memory and still did not see much of a difference.
So I swapped out the cards so both have 4 gigs now.
One the video section went out, and the other keeps overheating and shutting off.
Cleaning it out did not help, and I blamed it on the power supply, but it appears it is the CPU overheating.
I started monitoring the CPU temp and sure enough, it climbs up well beyond what it is supposed to.
I can't complain really, I got good use out of them, and only paid like 85 bucks for the mobo and probably around 150 for the CPUs. Then with the case and memory it brought the cost of those up to 300 bucks is all.
Today I can't seem to touch one for under 475 bucks, and the guy recommended I go about 600 bucks to get better specs.