Boo Ubuntu

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Boo Ubuntu

Post by Kellemora »

I don't know about that Yogi. If I go to my bank and use the wrong password three times in a row, I'm locked out the first time for an hour, the second time for a day, and the third time this happens I have to contact them by phone to get a password reset.

On Debi's Win 7 computer there is a security setting called Lockout Threshold to limit the number of password tries.

So wouldn't something like this defeat someone trying to hack your password by using random tries?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm no hacker and am totally unfamiliar with their techniques, but I do know that they don't brute force entry live and on line. They steal the files with the login credentials which are of course encrypted. Then, off line and at their leisure, they run the encrypted name/password pairs up against a database of known credentials. When they get a match they go back and log in using an untraceable computer and steal whatever they can via legitimate logins. Not every login credential is known, of course. Plus, buying those hacked databases isn't cheap. That's where quantum computing comes in. It will decipher all the accounts your bank has in their network in less time than it takes to type in the credentials. All that is needed is to discover the encryption key used by the bank.

That's only one method. There are ways to get around the security checks too and gain access without proper credentials. None of this is easy yet. But it is just around the next paradigm shifting corner. You might think that all these high priced hacking resources are beyond the reach of most earthlings. You are right. Only governments and military organizations can afford such things in today's world. Let that sink in for a while.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

No matter how complex they make security systems, there will always be someone out there who will break it and pass it around to his buddies.

I remember back when they started spiraling 5-1/4 floppies to keep people from copying them.
It only took a couple of weeks to find a way around that and still be able to copy the disks, hi hi.
And it's been like that ever since. They add security, someone breaks it. They add better security, someone breaks it.
I really don't see that trend changing much!

A gal my frau works with has a Thumbprint scanner on her Schmartz-fone to unlock it.
Doesn't look like they are very accurate, because she had everyone at work test it to see if they could unlock her phone.
Not that day, but a couple of days later when a part-time kid was there working, she had him try, and sure enough, the phone unlocked, hi hi.

This got me to thinking. Using a thumbprint doesn't sound like a very good idea for several reasons.
What if you get a small burn on your thumb, or fall and scrape it. It takes a week or two for it to heal.
What if your thumb gets cut off? I'm sure there is another way to unlock the phone though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The thumbprint reader is a lot like face recognition and subject to the same errors. They don't really read your thumbprint nor scan your face in detail. There are sample points that create a pattern, but as your wife found out the pattern is not unique. My clever phone has such a device but I never set it up. Unfortunately, it won't let me uninstall the software for it either. Like TFA, there are backup scenarios that will unlock a clever phone. One is the obvious PIN that everybody uses. There are things similar to CAPCHA that you set up to solve on your lock screen, and only you would know the combination. Then there is Auto0 that allows for any number of methods to be used to break in, I mean log in, to your device. And, of course, there are random tokens that can be sent to a backup device that only you have in your possession.

Think FitBit. You know, that thing that looks like a wrist watch and keeps track of numerous body functions. All that data is sent to a remote server in the cloud, of course, and it is supposed to be useful for keeping your body in ship shape - assuming you want to be a ship. All that data is unique and can be made into a profile. Now imagine a clever phone that has the same sensors that the FitBit has. The only way to unlock THIS phone is to put it over your heart (or some other sensitive part of your body) so that the profile obtained by the phone can be matched to what is in the cloud database. If it's a match, you get to use the phone. Otherwise, you might as well just toss it.

As I noted elsewhere, it's getting expensive for the small time hackers. Security will get better over time and you won't see any small time operators anymore. Only the people working for Big Brother will be able to hack your information ... unless you have a quantum computer where you can spread your data over the entire universe along with the background noise from the Big Bang. I double dog dare you to break THAT security. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've purchased a couple of wristwatch and armband type sensors to use when I exercise.
Had to return every one of them, because you couldn't even set the time on them without a Schmartz-Fone.
So I keep using my old pulse/oximeters which work just fine stand-alone, and are more accurate as well.

My IT neighbor, yeah the one who rarely talks to anyone, came over to my house late Saturday afternoon.
I saw him head to my front door, but then he saw the signs and came around to the back door.
This gave me time to put up the fence to keep the dogs out of the kitchen.
He asked if I had time to type up an eight page list of items, part numbers, and bar codes for him, into a database program. I said maybe, you know I only have Linux machines, so the program will have to run on Linux.
He asked which Distro I used and I told him Debian. He said perfect, that's what I use.
He offered me eighty bucks if I do it with no errors. He handed me the paperwork and a USB stick.
Then he said, lets make sure it loads properly before I leave. So we came up to my office.
He had never been in my office, and was astounded to see all these computers, and my set-up.
Just in case he was giving me a virus instead, I opened an older computer and tried the USB stick.
It loaded up just fine, with a neat little data entry program like used at grocery stores for their bar code scan system.
Since it worked OK on that computer, I moved it over to the Silver Yogi which also displayed it on the screen up top and the one in my desk. He said if he knew I had dual screens he would have just given me the data on a USB stick instead of printing it out for me. I did half of it last night, and the other half early this morning, saved it to the USB stick, and brought everything back over to him before he ducked out to run somewhere. Said he would check it when he gets back.
About a half hour ago he was over here with four 20 dollar bills for me. I gave him 20 back, said it didn't take me all that long to do. He insisted I keep the 20 and handed it right back to me. Said 10 bucks a page is the going rate and it is fair.
So I said, well if you have anything else, I can always use the money.
What I was typing in were the items sold at most service shops and gas stations that are not on the bought databases for their industries now, but might be in the future. Or as he put it, there are a couple of new suppliers in town with their own branded items. He did say he doesn't get much work he needs other folks to do for him, but will keep me in mind.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Those wearable fitness gizmos aren't what they used to be. They are indeed designed to work with a smart phone unless you get one that has cellular already built into it. You won't get one of those for less than $400 and could go up to $1000. I know all this because I am fairly certain I will be getting one for my wife as a Christmas present. She most likely won't use all the functions, but the GPS and "fall detector" is what she has her eyes set on. Apparently the Apple version can detect if you fall. Should you remain down for an excessive period of time, it calls 911. Since it has GPS in it, it knows where you are laying. I got to admit that is something quite useful, but something I hope we never have to use. I just have to convince myself it's worth the expense.

The first question that comes to mind is why can't your neighbor do his own data entry? Then again, @ $10 a page it's probably a good idea not to ask. LOL

I guess you have to trust your neighbor, but you never know what is on those USB memory sticks. My approach would be to fire up a virtual machine and plug the stick into that. If anything gets infected it will be sandboxed. I can always check it for malware inside the VM.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know very little about my neighbor, other than two rooms in his house are for his business and one room is all computer cabinets. He has to go out all the time, so is busy as a wet hornet, and he does have one guy that comes around 10 am and stays until 7 pm every single day, so he can go out and do his stuff. On some days he may open one of the blinds partway so he can see out. But about every fifteen minutes or so, he will hop up and run to the other room for about 5 minutes, then he's back again at his desk. What exactly he does I don't know, but figure he must be an IT guy.

Living across the street from me, I doubted that he would do something that would mess up my computers. Even so, I first loaded the stick on a computer that didn't matter if it got messed up, hi hi.

I used to have a heart rate monitor that wrapped around my chest. A cheaper version that used a cord to plug the remote display into it. Kept it hanging on my treadmill when not in use. It was accurate, but a pain to use.
So I bought one that went around my upper arm that read pulse, O2, and would occasionally check my blood pressure. The air pump in it went bad first, so I bought another cuff type blood pressure monitor. The pulse and O2 worked well for a long time. But after it went south I just started buying those fingertip pulse/oximeters.
I liked the idea of the wristwatch type, but why they need to use a Schmartz-fone is beyond me. Why can't they make one that just reads pulse? I don't need to report to Big Brother what my pulse is, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I liked the idea of the wristwatch type, but why they need to use a Schmartz-fone is beyond me.
Don't know for sure why, but I can make a guess. :mrgreen: The wrist watch is just a package of sensors. It has some limited amount of memory, but until lately there was no OS in them, Linux or otherwise. That was the reason why you could buy one for the price of a week's groceries. If you wanted some history for long term reference, you had to connect to some other device to get it. What better place is there for such trivial data than the Cloud? And, the easiest way to get to the Cloud was via an app on you clever phone, or tablet. You want graphs and data analysis? No can do inside the wrist sensors box. And, of course, the manufacturers really don't care about you and your data personally, but they are interested in knowing how and when you might be using the device.

The wearables I've been looking at recently are way more sophisticated than those same devices were just a couple years ago. Now you can have bluetooth, GPS, and cellular along with enough memory and processing capability to give you an interesting display. The real power is still in your clever phone, and that is one of the cheaper methods to get that 911 help I was talking about earlier. The way to look at it is that the wrist device is an appendage tethered to your clever phone or tablet device, not the other way around. Of course you can do it all manually with separate sensors and keeping your own records. But, that kind of defeats the idea behind the wrist monitor's design.
Last edited by yogi on 13 Nov 2019, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

About once a month the doc gives me a pulse/oximeter that records my O2 level overnight.
It doesn't look any different than the two I own, except it must have a built in recording chip.
He doesn't plug it into his computer to get the readout. He just pushes a button and scrolls through it manually, the same way I can scroll through my blood glucose meter. They both have a port to connect to the computer, but you have to buy the program that will print it out on like a spreadsheet. Program costs a fortune though.
Now why can't they make a wristwatch like that?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've given the new Apple wrist watches a cursory review. They are utterly powerful, if you are willing to pay the price; nearly $1000. The one I would buy is well under $500 and not cellular. They all have USB ports for charging which means in theory you can do anything with the watch that you can do over a USB port. I've not read about the software capabilities nor the memory capacity. It would seem easy enough to store data inside the watch and port it over to an app that will massage it and print it out. Most things like that have a CSV output option which you can send to your LibreOffice spreadsheet. I'm not in the Christmas shopping mood at the moment. I'll keep you updated should I make a decision.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't have that kind of money, hi hi.
I'll just wait for some Chinese knock-offs that sell for 12.95 to 39.95 that don't need a Schmartz-Fone.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept of laptops. They were just too small and limited to be useful. It turns out that my current laptop is probably more powerful than the tower I built only a few years ago. Then the mobile revolution set in. I read stories but never fully appreciated what they can do until I got my cleverphone. What I have does not represent everything that is out there, but it certainly rivals the laptop in terms of performance. There are multiple RF systems inside the clever phone and you would have to have a death wish to actually put this thing next to your ear to conduct a conversation. Now there are watches with nearly the same power as the cleverphone. I suppose they are trying to duplicate the Dick Tracy image of a wrist radio and thus ditch the need for even a hand held phone. The amazing thing about all this is how they are fitting so much functionality into such a tiny box. The Apple watch is 40mm square, but you can supersize that up to 44mm. I have a hard time reading my cleverphone at times and I can't imaging the wrist watch being any easier.

Of course none of this mini high tech is essential. You lived quite a long life without it. All it can do for you is make your life a little easier in some ways. Unfortunately, the easy life is very expensive.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'll just say, I've yet to see a super-computer built using cell-phone motherboards, hi hi.
I suppose it is possible to go micro-miniature, but I really doubt they would have the speed needed.

I have seen videos of what could possibly be done with a cell-phone some day in the future.
Such as a keyboard that is displayed on the desk and a projection of a monitor screen on the cubical wall behind it.
I've also seen this same type of video using items as small as a fountain pen on a little stand. It to projected the image on the wall behind it, and the keyboard on the desk it was sitting on.
But what they never show is someone working 8 hours a day at such a device.

Plus, all that fancy stuff you see them do on TV crime shows, is just that, static images created and displayed from a real computer, hi hi. All pre-programmed to make it look like those fancy displays are doing something they are really incapable of doing at the present time. Even so, someone has to enter all that data! It just didn't end up in their cell phone to transfer to the big screen instantly as shown in those TV shows, hi hi.

Maybe some day!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Cell phones are not designed to do what super computers do. That's the reason why you won't see a bank of mobile motherboards inside a research computer. :rolleyes:

Most of what I enjoyed on television was for the amusement it provided. Reality is seldom portrayed on televisions shows in spite of them taking the label of such. A good portion of those true stories are scripted and coached. That's all fine too because some people are entertained by it. The problem is those same people translate what they see on television as being reality. What is even worse, broadcasts of current event news are not legally required to be accurate. Some networks take advantage of that loophole in order to influence your thinking. I take it all with a grain of salt, if and when I watch. That's mostly because all I watch are cooking shows. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

One of the reasons I don't watch TV, besides the annoying on-screen commercials during the shows.
Is I get bored really fast with the exact same programming scenario for each show.
The frau puts on something she thinks I will like while I'm working crossword puzzles after dinner.
And even without seeing the TV, I can tell her which characters will appear in the next scene and doing what.
They are all the same ole same ole with little variance between them.
Reminds me of the song, And then along came Jones. No matter what channel he turned to, it was the same old shoot'em up and the same old rodeo, hi hi.
There's one teacher that comes on once a week and we record his show for me to watch. Most of the time he's really good, then other times, I wonder what he was thinking, hi hi.
I do watch Young Sheldon, and the older Sheldon sometimes.
Then the gamut of cop shows, NCIS, Major Crimes, and a few others, but only one per day so never see them all.
BORING, hi hi.
My reason for even sitting in the TV room is to be around the frau at least a couple hours per day.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have a pet peeve that I'm keeping from my wife of many years. It's about television, what else? :mrgreen:

We have been married for more than five decades, and I think we have well refined the requirements for putting up with each other for so long. LOL It's hard to state it in a few words, but basically we simply give each other their own space. Like all marriages, it takes a few years to learn how to live together peacefully and share the responsibilities of raising a family. That's basic training. A lot of folks don't make it through that period, but most do. After the fundamentals are mastered, then the real test begins. How does one sustain marital bliss for 5 decades and more? Many of the problems in a marriage are rooted in the notion that there is no need to give up your individuality. Nobody wants even their spouse to tell them how to live. Well, marriage by definition obliterates individuality. It's a union of two. That union is not the same as the individuals. All of that should be obvious, but I know of many instances where the unwillingness to compromise has destroyed the union.

My wife and I have had our outspoken differences, as it should be. But, by and large we promote our marriage experience though giving the other half all the latitude they need. Getting back to the topic, wife enjoys television. I don't. So, she watches television and I sit in the office writing missives to people I've never met. That takes care of the individuality issues. One of the things that is a joint venture is eating. We sit down together and bond with each other over food that more often than not I cooked personally. Sometimes it's simple, but sometimes it's elaborate. I certainly enjoy cooking, but it's only satisfying because I can share the food with the person I love. That works really well and is meaningful. So, when she comes to the dinner table and sits facing the television instead of me ... well that could be just the way the furniture is arranged. But then she starts talking to the TV or otherwise not paying attention to the veal scallopini I just put my heart into preparing. The same thing happens in restaurants where they have multiple televisions splattered about the walls and ceiling. She is watching the football games that put me to sleep.

It's peevish, but honestly a minor thing. We do things together, but there is also a good deal of emphasis on being our own persons. So, after dinner is over I leave for the office again and let her do the dishes. Oddly enough, she hates cooking but doesn't mind cleaning up.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We sound almost like two peas in a pod there Yogi!

When I first met Debi, I told her she would always have control of the remote (for the TV).
Let me back up to when I was married to Ruth. She had two kids, I had two kids, and I had three foster kids away at school and/or in the service, and all ready to get married soon. So, the only time they were at our house was during school breaks. The boy joined the service before his mom (my fiance Barb) died, one started college, and the youngest was a senior in high school. She's the one I had trouble with the paperwork at college for.
OK, back to Ruth. I spent most of my time remodeling our house, and she took care of all the cooking. I always did the laundry for everyone. As her health declined, I took over all the chores, from cooking, to cleaning, and still did all the laundry, made the beds, you know the routine.
After I married Debi and moved her to St. Louis, I was so used to my routine that she didn't really have anything to do, but she loved my commercial kitchen with char-broiler and everything about how it was set up. She also loved to cook, so I was alleviated of that chore almost right away. I've always had a housekeeper for cleaning, so that spoiled her even more.
So even after 9/11 when went broke and lost everything. The first thing I did after her dad died, was hire a housekeeper to help her. Debi went to work and I stayed home to take care of her mom, who had bone cancer for many years, and was on the downhill side. I think most of my time was spent taking her mom to doctors appointments.

As I've mentioned in the past, I come up to my office, which is in the garage, around 8 am, and only go home for an hour at lunch, and then for two hours at dinner. Around 9:30 to 10 pm I head back down to the house so we can either talk or watch TV, she loves TV, always has, hi hi. Most of the time she will turn on a show I might like, even so, I'm usually working on a jigsaw puzzle, listening to the show, and watching the action scenes. Other times we stop and talk about our day for a while than back to the show. Over the years, I've cut my lunch break down to half an hour, and dinner break to around 1-1/2 hours. Then after she got a job at the hardware store last year, our whole schedules have shifted around.

We've now been married for 19 years, and in all that time, we have never had a cross word between us. That don't mean we never got angry with each other over something, or that we had a small unheated debate over something. But it was always more like a civil discussion.
Like you, when I do want to talk about something, and she gets a call on her cell phone, and stays on it forever, I do feel a little put out. But normally, she will apologize and tell me what the call was about and why it took so long. At our age, she has a lot of elderly and sickly relatives that are dwindling fast. Going to funerals pulls us out of the house more often than finding a chance to go out to eat somewhere.
Also, our number of doctors appointments are increasing as well.

Right now, with the sale of my product dropping off so bad, and getting hit with some larger than normal bills, our budget is strained to the limit, and we are having to cut out a lot of things we used to do together. She cut out any TV show she had to pay over the minimum rate package to have. And I've had to cut out a couple of subscription things I used during the day, did that before she cut back on the TV to help her get Insulin.

And here I go rambling on again. I need to get out of here and have a bite of lunch.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know about two peas in a pod, but I will agree we might be two soy beans in the same 40 acre field. :lol:

I thank my lucky stars that I have been able to maintain a marriage for 52+ years to the same woman. I'm terrible when it comes to change and don't think I would remarry as often as you did. One of the greater mysteries of my marriage is the fact that my mom lived with us for nearly 40 years. Life with mom was not a prospect before my sweetheart agreed to marry me, but circumstances brought the decision up front after my dad died early on in our marriage. I'm certain she was reluctant to make the commitment, but my wife of many years agreed to take in mom so that I could watch over her. She wasn't sickly at the time, but she certainly wasn't capable of living on her own. An untold number of problems plagued this situation, but my wife stood by my side all those years. The last two or three years of mom's life was a struggle to keep her alive. Those were the most taxing years, but still no complaints from my devoted mate. I often thought about how fortunate I was to have such a woman for a wife. It could not have been easy for her and it remains a mystery why she did it.

My wife had a long career in the insurance industry and ended up as a financial analyst and eventually company comptroller. Amazingly she wasn't all that eager to handle family finances, but did know about money and insurance issues. We did some basic things, very basic, and accumulated a retirement fund in addition to the company pensions, profit sharing, and now SSA benefits. If there are no financial catastrophes, we will do well for another 10-15 years. Inflation may catch up to us by then, assuming there still is a country as we know it today at that time. So, in addition to being the world's best helpmate, my wife of many years had some good financial planning ideas too. Not least of her abilities, she also is the reason I am not dead today. She literally saved my life twice when I experienced massive pulmonary embolisms. It helped that the ER was only 7 minutes away, but SHE is the one who got me there in time.

Maybe I'm not so unique. A lot of people, including you, must go through similar experiences.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You sound like you've done everything right!
I hope you never get straddled with they types of bills I had to take care of.
Times have changed a little, and there is some help available to almost everyone, but not when I needed it.
I always had too many assets they would say, even when I had none left.
Back then your house counted as an asset, it doesn't anymore, as far as I understand.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I know a poor girl who is disabled and lives off the government allowance she was able to get. She is not able to go out and get a job so that there is little prospect for her to rise above the disability payments doled out to her. As luck would have it, she developed a brain tumor and needed surgery to take it out. Medicaide took care of some of that, but I am certain there were tens of thousands of dollars not paid by the state. She owns the house her parents lived in before they died, and to this day is still living there. In other words, they didn't take away her house to pay off the medical bills. There are many people in her community in a similar situation. I doubt they are getting the best of what is available, but apparently the healthcare people do have some sympathy and understanding. I hope to never be in her situation, but I can say with certainty it gets very expensive to stay alive as you get older.