Magia 7 Revisited

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Magia 7 Revisited

Post by yogi »

I first posted about Mageia 7 in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2351&p=39095#p39095

It may be a good idea to refresh your memory and read it again, or not. The current thread is going to be a rant more than a critical review of a Linux operating system. Essentially Mageia 7 is a fork of Mandriva Linux, which is Debian in the final analysis. All of this is what attracted me to it in the first place because it wasn't Ubuntu. The default install provides a KDE Plasma desktop and that takes up a lot of resources. My nVidia card was not a problem for Mageia. For reasons only known to the gods of Linux it chose to use the motherboard's Intel graphics instead of the nVidia card. One of the more interesting set up options was to dispense with Grub and install rEFind in it's place. rEFind is a boot manager, as opposed to bootloader, and I thought for sure it would conflict with the resident Windows 10 bootmanager. It did not. It simply created a separate partition in which to place the rEFind bootloaders and I can select that partition from the Windows bootmanager. Seems redundant, but I wanted to see how Mageia would handle all that boot stuff. It did remarkably well in that I can now boot into Mageia using both Grub and rEFind. That's all interesting and to its credit, but that's not why I started this thread.

Most of my time on Mageia since it's installation has been spent trying to learn about KDE desktops. I don't consider the ability to use a convoluted desktop environment to be an advantage of Linux. It's an unnecessary complication at its best and a very unfriendly place to try and do some actual work. KDE Plasma would be a Linux lover's dream come true. Take a look at this graphic ...

This is part of what Mageia calls System settings. The left side column lists all the categories that can be adjusted to suit the particular whims and needs of any given user. Lots of choices, as you can see. The right hand side displays about 1/3rd of the options one has to customize the desktop behavior. And, this is just the tip of the iceberg for settings. There are hundreds, a few of which are obvious about what they actually do. Good luck with those which are not so obvious.

Another so called advantage of Linux desktop environments is that many offer what is called virtual desktops. KDE Plasma sets the number to 4. And how does one switch from one virtual desktop to another? It doesn't take long to discover that scrolling the mouse takes you to some random virtual desktop which 3 out of 4 times is not the one you are working in. More than that, the scrolling works at unpredictable and undesirable intervals. I'm trying to navigate though those chaotic System Settings, for example, and suddenly, without warning, I'm on a different desktop. Believe me when I tell you that this feature IS NOT a selling point for Linux vs the single desktop of Windows.

OK, so maybe it's just me. All I want to do is stop the scrolling action, and maybe reduce the virtual window count to a single one. Going down that first column to the logical Hardware>Input Devices, I would expect to find mouse settings wherein I can opt out of scrolling or at least have that button do something less obnoxious. Well, every setting you can think of for the mouse is there, but the one for setting the action associated with the mouse scrolling. I looked everywhere and could not find such a thing. Am I doomed to deal with this option, or is there a cure?

Reasonably you would expect some knowledgeable person in the support forums to laugh wildly and then tell me how incredibly easy it is to stop the scrolling and/or reduce the virtual window count. I wrote up a request for help and waited a full 24 hours before the sub-forum moderator decided he would say something. The setting I was looking for was not in the System Settings for the mouse. Simply right click the desktop and like magic a list of 15 options appears, one of which is to ... Configure Desktop. Clicking that brings up yet another window for Desktop Folder Setup -- Plasma. And, yes, one of the seven categories on the left is for Mouse Actions. Only three Actions are adjustable: Middle-Button, Vertical-Scroll, and Right-Button. Six choices are available under each action item, none of which are to stop the scrolling. However, there is one that says Standard Menu. That stops the scrolling.

You people reading this who are fans of logic and order ... you can't seriously tell me this mish mosh of navigation makes sense and is obvious. No, Windows doesn't have any settings for mouse scrolling other than the number of lines it will jump for each click. That's it, no matter what desktop you are using in Windows, which we all know is just one. The virtual windows in Windows are accessed entirely by an independent icon action and not as a matter of mouse scrolling. Simple, and it just works without 8,309,376 option settings that are mostly hidden.

Well, the guy who answered my query also had an answer for how to reduce the number of virtual desktops via those System Settings in the graphics. It turns out that I already did what he suggested and it did not work, which was the entire point of me posting in the help forum in the first place. I even got an error message that he ignored.

Just to refresh your memory, lest you forget, one of the big reasons I've taken a negative view of Linux operating systems is due to their flexibility. They offer an inordinate number of settings, mostly in hidden or hard to find places. Then, when a doofus like me who has been a Windows fan all his life asks for help in the tech support forums, the question is answered half way or totally ignored. I can't wait to see the follow up replies from people who had problems just like mine, but only in a different way that doesn't apply to the situation.

OK, that's enough ranting for one day. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Magia 7 Revisited

Post by Kellemora »

GRIN, hi hi.

I have ELEVEN virtual desktop boxes, and EIGHT of them are in continual use, and two used several times during the day.
They are one of the things I LOVE about Linux computers, that you don't on Windoze at all.

Mageia is the Geek Nerds ultimate OS, anything that can be set, or modified, is included.
On Debian and Mint, you can get to all or most of these settings by installing Compiz, but it does not come already installed due to the amount of memory and CPU cycles it uses. It's a power hog to say the least.

It's actually not that hard if you realize that normal settings are in one place, and advanced settings in another place.
Does no good to look under advanced settings to make normal setting changes, they are not there.

You don't look under the hood to get to the tire and jack, they are in the trunk! Normally.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The classification of what is normal and what is advanced is outrageous. Yes they do split it up that way and more. The problem I'm experiencing with virtual desktops sits on top of an error message saying there was a problem with Compiz fetching some kind of data that didn't exist. Compiz is not installed on my system and when I installed it the identical behavior prevailed. There is something malfunctioning and my post has been sitting in the tech support forum for two days now. Two replies were made to suggest the obvious, but no fixes or explanations yet. I'll admit to being stupid about how Mageia works. That's not the problem. The problem is the hundreds of options that do nothing useful. Linux was invented for guys like you who need 16 different work environments. I don't want the given 4, and apparently there is no way to get rid of them. Believe it or not, I don't have that problem in Windows; not even Windows 10 which has virtual desktop functions.

Today they released Ubuntu 19.10, yesterday actually. It's the precursor of future generations of Ubuntu so they say. I was anxious to see all the new features and blew away the partition on my laptop which formerly held Ubuntu 19.04. All I had to do was plug in the empty space with the new release, right? LOL No, of course it wasn't that simple. This is a LINUX distribution of an operating system. Things went swimmingly and the installation started as expected. The last thing to happen on a new install is to install Grub and update initramfs. I got an error saying Grub cannot be installed in the target efi partition. Tough luck for you buddy, because now you can't boot. Huh? Fresh out of the box and the installer is broken? Or, so I thought.

I went to the trouble of downloading it again under the misguided assumption that the original download was corrupt. This time I did the gpg verification which was a hassle and a half because I didn't have any of the public keys they wanted. It was a detour but I finally verified that the version of Ubuntu I downloaded was valid and it came from the people I thought it came from. Having all that confidence I used the Linux USB making utility called mkusb. I was convince I had everything I could have in the correct form. The second attempt at installing produced the same results. This strongly implied that the new release was broken, but that's hard to believe even for a doubting Thomas as myself. So, I burned another USB installer for the version of Ubuntu that I wiped out when I deleted it's partition. I just wanted to put back what was there previously. Guess what. If you guessed I got the same failure, you guessed correctly. This situation tells me the efi partition is now corrupt, which by some odd quirk of nature happened coincidentally with the installation of the new Ubuntu. Ubuntu broke the Windows bootmanager.

I had to laugh in spite of the steam coming out of my ears. This is solid evidence for the existence of Karma. It wasn't too long ago you swore that Windows was in reality a disguised form of malware that attacks Grub. Well, my dear friend, I have proof that LINUX destroyed the Windows bootloader which is exactly opposite of what you experienced. So now you may sleep peacefully at night. The balance of nature has once again been reestablished.

And, in case you are wondering, I have no idea how to fix this. We are talking UEFI here and not MBR's.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I guess we hit similar problems in different ways.
When I loaded Linux Mint 19.2, it did not have any workspaces in the lower panel.
Without at least one, I didn't know how to add more without looking on-line to find out.
But then, once you have one, you can add or take away as many as you want.
You CAN set the number of workspaces to zero I think, or if set to one, no box will appear in the lower panel.
At least on this Distro.

I think Ole Murphy has been hanging around your place. Better there than here, hi hi.
Maybe you should get a crown?
You seem to come up with new problems nobody has ever encountered before.

My solution was simple. I just ditched Windoze and no more problems at this end.
Everything runs like a charm as long as Windoze is not involved in any way shape or form.

I've still not had time to do anything else with Debi's computer, but it is sitting here running one maze after another ever since I installed Linux Mint. When it goes to sleep, I tap my desktop and it jumps right back to displaying the screensaver that is a maze it solves. I checked to see if I could make it solve them slower, but they didn't put a setting slow it down, drat. Perhaps that is good because some of the larger mazes take a while for it to work them, hi hi.

I have to laugh though, Debian only has a choice of like five or six screensavers, but you can download more if you want.
Linux Mint came with about 50 already loaded. I think this is called program bloat, hi hi.

Speaking of Compiz, I only played with it back in the Debian 8 days. Cute, but wasted a lot of resources, and you know I've always had the minimum amount of memory in my computers.
I always figured if the swap file was not used, I had plenty of memory. So took half out and built another computer.
Didn't see any slowdown, however, if I add memory up until I get close to 16 gigs, then it makes a big difference for reasons I still don't understand.
yogi

Post by yogi »

One new thing I learned about Linux in the course of my disemboweling it is the reason why I never see swap being recorded on the system resource monitor. I often wondered why they make such an issue about creating swap space if it's never used. It turns out that Linux Mint no longer needs a swap partition, although you certainly can create one if you wish. They make their own swap file in the root directory and eliminate the need for a partition. At least that is the way it is intended to be. My Linux Mint 19.2 did not make that internal file and I had to create it manually. That's when I learned there is such a thing as "swappiness" that is set in some config file I don't recall the name of at the moment. The lower the number, the less the system tries to access swap space. This comes in handy for fellows like yourself who have limited resources. You can actually adjust how swappy the swap is.

Also, my installation of Linux Mint comes with two virtual desktops. The mouse does not scroll through them as is the case with Mageia. Nothing like being consistent, eh? Because Mint is so well behaved, Cinnamon vs KDE Plasma desktops, I never had a need to bother with the settings. My post for help on this matter in the Mageia forums has died. The moderator did apologize saying that he too doesn't know what to do ... tech support? What tech support?

There are some really nice things about Mageia regarding system settings. They have a control panel that puts all the important settings in one place, which is not to be confused with the overdose of settings in the image I posted. While I had nothing to do while waiting for somebody to answer my questions in their forum, I looked over the system settings and found something that allows you to set up the boot process. That has always been a given. How could there be any adjustments? One of the options in their boot menu is to dump Grub and replace it with rEFInd. This was an amazing option and I even knew what it was all about. I was tempted to install it on the laptop when I first encountered it but hesitated. I didn't know how to back out of it if I didn't like what it does. As it happens, Mageia allows rEFInd to be installed onto a partition of it's own which is linked to the OS somehow. The amazing thing about this is that when I boot up Windows it has it's own alternative to rEFInd but allows me to select the alternative because it's a bootable device as far as it's concerned. So, I can use Grub from inside the Windows bootmanager, or use rEFInd all by itself to boot into Mageia. And, because rEFInd is a boot manager, every system ever installed on my laptop is an it's boot menu bar.

Cute as all this is, it means I need to go through two bootmanagers if I want to get to Mageia. That is the point at which you uninstalled Windows. LOL Well I'm cut from a different cloth. In theory this should all work together. It's complex, but there is no technical reason for alternate bootmanager not to live peacefully on the same hard drive. That's the beauty of UEFI. You can do such things. Ubuntu, however, is abusing the system by trying to take control of the master bootloader without asking permission first. In the process the latest version of Ubuntu failed to install grub because Windows said ... well, I don't want to repeat what Windows said, but it wasn't nice. The end result is that even though Ubuntu installed nicely, it no longer was bootable. It had no Grub to boot from.

After wailing and gnashing my teeth for a while, I said to myself, "Self, what about that rEFInd you installed on a whim? Shouldn't that have ALL the operating systems installed as optional boots?" rEFInd, after all, is an alternative to the Windows bootloader. Lo and behold the misbehaved Ubuntu was indeed on the boot menu of rEFInd in a disguised format. It was being singled out as a kernel located on a device. It has no Grub, so what else could rEFInd call it? As it turned out I was in fact able to boot up Ubuntu using rEFInd. The problems with it not booting due to conflicts with nVidia were in my face boldly displayed so that I recognized why it would not boot even though I could select it now. However, my cure for all this has previously been via manipulation of kernel commands embedded in Grub; the Grub that is missing. It took some intuition and outright luck, but I discovered a way to edit the rEFInd boot commands. I inserted the nVidia fix and ... (does a happy dance) it worked.

Now that Ubuntu finally was up and running I could install the nVidia drivers the proper way and thus eliminate the need to edit the kernel commands at boot time. A light bulb then lit up above my head. What if ... what if I rebuilt Grub from inside this errant Ubuntu edition? Would it change the Windows bootloader it previously broke? sudo update-grub fixed that problem. So, now I am a happy camper. All three versions of Linux will boot alongside Windows once again, PLUS, I was able to fix a UEFI boot problem without having to reinstall the whole lot of OS's. Life is good once again.

And, one final comment about something you mentioned. Ever since I learned there was an alternative to Windows operating systems, I was told not to put Linux on the same disk with Windows. Isolate the two. Put them on different machines to really be safe. Well yes, but that's a defeatist approach. I built my ASUS tower with Windows 7 on a disk of it's own and separated from the three distributions of Linux therein. Grub is loaded inside all three of those Linux machines as well as onto the hard drive itself. Thus I have four versions of Grub in the tower, but in practice only use one of them. The laptop has Windows and three versions of Linux on the same hard drive. Likewise each Linux OS has a Grub of it's own. But, being UEFI, the laptop has bootmanagers; two of them now. One is the traditional Windows version and the other is rEFInd. They all work together as the theory says they should. And to really add alligators to the already infested swamp, I have several USB memory sticks with Linux of many flavors that will boot from that laptop prior to it running any of the bootmanagers. USB rules the world.

Well yes, I run into problems nobody has ever seen before. Because I can :xclaim: :xclaim: :xclaim:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well Yogi, it sounds like you finally Mastered the Universe!

CONGRATULATIONS TOP GURU!

Although not used in laptops or desktops, besides BIOS, UEFI, there is COREBOOT (also Libreboot).
Learned from a TV Repair guy that most boxes connected to your TV for Cable or Dish are mini-computers that use Coreboot to keep them instant on, except for the time of connecting and downloading data makes them not appear as instant on.
He didn't know how many devices in other fields use Coreboot, but he knew one heck of a lot of devices used in hospitals now use Coreboot. But it was something he didn't have to get into or learn much about, other than adjustments when setting up new equipment in custom installations, and that's all done using servicing software from their own testing devices.
In any case, I thought that was an interesting thing to learn.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Windows just works. That spoiled me. I had no incentive to look into it because it would just do what I expected it to do. That occurred because I didn't expect it to do much. Turn on the box and a few minutes later the CRT lit up and my Windows desktop was waiting for me to get busy. Yeah, it was quirky at times, but the issues I had with Windows were mostly cosmetic. The internals and architecture didn't need to be understood. So, I never learned about them.

Linux never just worked. I had to work to make it work. All those years I spent administering a UNIX network with 300 clients didn't mean much to Linux. The splash screen looked familiar, but I had no idea what I was looking at. There was no reason to know what Grub was. In fact the stand alone installations of Linux never showed Grub. It just booted like Windows. I had some very mixed feelings about the command line, Bash. It too was familiar but why would an average user be required to use something so potentially complicated? Windows has its own command line, but one seldom if ever needs to use it. It's just there for the geeks among us.

Well, I've come a long way baby. I now know things I never wanted to know, and only because it is required to know these things in order to get the fricken OS to perform as expected. Much of that forced learning was self-imposed because I wanted to do things few people have a desired to do. When things break, it's mandatory that you know the secrets of the OS you are dealing with. And, when things break when you are trying to do something very few other people want to do, then the learning curve turns sharply vertical.

I'm not so arrogant as to think I know it all. I have mastered my local universe, but there is more to all this than I have in my command and control center. What I've come to know is that I don't know much, but I know enough to ask the right questions of the right people. Finding the right people has always been a challenge, but in Linux-land it's harder because everybody is a self-proclaimed expert. It takes a lot of time to figure out who knows what they are talking about so that you can discard their pronouncements. I did all that and have accomplished my original objectives. I'm far from done, but I'm at a milestone. And, it's rather anticlimactic. So I know all this stuff about booting OS's six different ways from heaven. Who cares? Well, I know you find it entertaining, and that is some solace. But now what? There are some software tools I need to really screw things up, and I will learn how to dissect esp partitions and re-arrange BCD stores, and figure out what to do with the fallback boot option. You may not hear from me for a while if and when I get to that point. We are talking serious damage to computer firmware and software when we get to that level of adventure. It's either me doing that, or sitting around playing mind numbing games on my clever phone all day. Hmmm ... :think:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You must be a whole lot luckier than I ever was with Windows, any flavor.

If I had a dime for every time I had to go to Windows Terminal aka Run Box to execute a command to get the various accounting packages we had working properly, I wouldn't be rich, but could probably take a vacation.
You also had to manually add things to the Registry each time you added another module to the Cougar Mountain Whole Office Accounting Package.

Windows Registry was a JOKE from day one. They implemented it to fix some problems, and then stuck with it, making it more convoluted every day. It never was needed, which is why no other OS has ever used a Registry.

The one and only Windows OS I had that ran properly all the time, was the version WANG installed on my Wang PC w/Windows. It just flat out worked right, and it ran faster than a stand-alone Windows computer too!

I guess you forgot about all the jokes about how often Windows Crashed.

If you want a real challenge, try to install each version of Windows on the same computer, each in its own partition, and tell me how well you fare.
You can't use GRUB since that is a Linux bootloader. You must use the Windows Bootloader as provided with Windows OS's.
You have to forget anything other than Windows even exists and have every version of Windows selectable from the Windows bootloader, and not using Virtual Box, or Virtual Machine.

You are trying to do things with Linux that are next to impossible to do on Windows, while praising Windows as being better.
With Linux you can install every base Distro side by side without problems. RedHat, BSD, Debian, SUSE, etc.
You may run across problems if you try to install Debian/Ubuntu and Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, since Mint uses the same name as Ubuntu in a few cases, but there are ways around that.

FWIW: I did have Windows XP, XP Home, XP Pro, and XP Pro MCE, all on the same machine, but it was a Linux Box I did this on. Each install of Windows tried to become GOD so I had to put it in it's place, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm still learning about UEFI. My current success was not as perfect as it could be and the problem centers around getting Linux to run well in a UEFI boot environment. I'm not experiencing problems with Windows and UEFI. While I will admit to not having the perfect multi-boot of Linux side by side with Window, it does work. Once I exterminate the little bugs hiding in the UEFI partition, it will be perfect. And I know you would find it hard to believe, but the bugs are in the Linux booting binaries, i.e., Grub.

I've only read about people running more than one version of Windows from the same disk. They claim it's possible and I can't see why not. If Windows can live with Linux, it certainly could live with itself. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. Configuring UEFI is not a simple task. The Windows boot manager is the master on those computers which come with Windows preinstalled. But, it does not have to be that way. Grub can be made to be the master boot manager, but it requires a knowledge of UEFI configurations to do it. I currently have rEFInd along side the Windows boot manager and everything boots fine from there. It's not the master, and like Grub it can be made to be. In my particular situation I prefer to keep the Windows boot manager as is. Once I learn enough about UEFI, I could change my mind. :mrgreen:

Many of the stories you tell me about Windows failing to meet your expectations are stories about software not designed to work well in the Windows environment. If you need to modify registry entries in order to make the software work it's poor design of the software. Windows can't force programmers to be smart about what they do. Most of what I've ranted about in these forums in regard to Linux shortcomings has to do with the kernel. For example, my problems with the nVidia driver are due to the Linux kernel supporting every other video card and excluding nVidia. That's not a problem with the nVidia driver. The driver works well when it's installed, or allowed to be installed. The billions and billions of settings and config files in Fedora's version of Mageia are a problem with the KDE desktop environment. I could be faulted for saying Linux is causing the mess in Plasma. If Linux fails in this regard it's due to the fact that it allows anybody and their brother to attach their brainchild to a perfectly good Linux kernel. What I'm getting at here is that I may favor Windows over Linux, but it's based on the OS itself and not the crap software that people try to run on it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had only mentioned Cougar Mountain Accounting Software, because it was the most problematic. Their software was great and did all the things we needed it to do. But you also have to remember, this was back 286 days, and the change to 386 machines and from Windows 3.11 to Windows XP caused all kinds of problems with their software. They did get it all fixed, but after the hassle, we switched to QuickBooks for XP, which did not have even half of the modules we needed to completely replace what Cougar Mountain did. So there were a lot of add-on's for QuickBooks that required making changes to the registry to get those add-on modules to work.
I got to like QuickBooks so when I finally bought a Windows XP Pro computer I also bought QuickBooks Pro, and they worked well together for my businesses, not so much for my brothers type of business though.
I recently shredded my QuickBooks Pro manual, where I had tons of notes written in, on how to make changes to the registry when something went haywire.
I also bought expensive programs like AutoSketch, and later AutoCAD, PhotoShop, Family Tree Maker, and a few others.
AutoSketch always worked great, but AutoCAD constantly needed some type of tweak in the Registry with every update.
I don't think I had to do anything in the Registry with PhotoShop, but did have to use the RUN box a few times to restart something after I changed settings in PhotoShop. Like you, this usually had to do with the video cards I was buying. The on-board video was never good enough for AutoCAD or PhotoShop, and a better video card made the displays look much better and run a whole lot faster.
The irony of it all, I never had to do a single thing to the PC that WANG sold me that ran both WANG and Windows. Seems it always just worked, with any program I installed, even older programs.

Honestly though, I really did love Windows once I was far away from the old Apple computers.
I didn't start having any major problems until I bought the HP Scanner, which I've already rehashed a few times.
But the main turning point for me was when Windows VISTA came out. This is what drove me to give Linux another try.
Linux had come a long way since I first tried it, and Ubuntu was the turn-key system that got me hooked.
Everything I needed to do during that early Linux era for me, I could do on Ubuntu without problems, and all the software I needed was free. Some of it was a little harder to use than similar software for Windows, but you get used to the differences real quick. Plus you don't have to keep buying upgrades, if there is an upgrade it installs for free.

I've never tried to do any of the complex things you are doing, or if I did, it was not on my daily use computer, which I must keep running in tip-top shape because I rely on it.

You already know I do things redundantly in almost everything. This included computers, although I rarely bought two identical at a time, I have a few times. But later I would buy a new one while I still had two that were working just fine. This way I always had the one older one to fall back on should the new one not work right, and the second older one to use for nonsense stuff, like try things out without putting it on the other computers first. And then of course, my oldest computer was always dedicated to my accounting work, and was normally a stand-alone computer not connected to the Internet. Now, I basically do everything on the Silver Yogi, as my next oldest computer is now giving me problems, and most of the others have died, hi hi. I feel naked without having a backup computer I can rely on.
Heck, I buy meeces and keyboards in multiples so I always have a spare, extra monitors, etc.
My main reason is, if I get an order, I need to get it out.

Oh, speaking of problems, my newest HP printer did not print properly when I got my last order. It is exhibiting the same problems the first one I got had from the git go. And of course, it is now out of warranty also.
I should have stuck by my guns and never bought anything with the HP name on it as I swore I would do.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't have the same motivation that you did, but I am evaluating operating systems with the possibility of abandoning Windows in mind. Interesting enough is the timing. Vista was a break away technology. A lot of people could not handle it, and the fact it wasn't fully developed when released didn't help either. Today, in 2019, we are past the "Vista" stage and into Windows 10. Windows 8 was the equivalent to Vista and suffered many of the same problems. It's introduction also was a decision point for many folks to abandon Windows for something else. So, is Windows 10 the equivalent of Windows 7 - which I believe is the best Microsoft ever produced? It's really a fantastic operating system but isn't as time tested as previous outputs from Redmond. There are many things we don't talk about here which far surpass what I've seen in Linux during my explorations. The handling of UEFI boot was perfected by Microsoft, for example. You might not think so after reading some of my rants, but most of what I am editorializing about is my own ignorance and not the fault of any OS or boot firmware.

The unfortunate reality is that the software and user interface is what most people consider to be the operating system. It's an easy mistake to make. So when I say Linux sucks, it's probably some bass-ackward desktop software causing the problem. I also have some issues with FOSS. It's an excellent approach in concept, but in practice it's one of the more subtle flaws of the Linux philosophy. Linux does an excellent job of filling in the voids Windows creates. The price of Linux can't be beat, unless they paid you to use it. LOL While following the FOSS philosophy opens Linux to some creative minds that would not have a chance in a proprietary world, it also allows the amateurs and surrealists to attempt creation of what they call an operating system. The variety of Linux distros I have already evaluated brings out the weakness inherent in FOSS.

Ambivalence would best describe my feelings about Linux at the moment. It satisfies my curiosity and provides an abundance of technical challenges to keep my mind fresh. When I want something I can rely on to be consistent and well supported, I'm not finding it in Linux. So I'm guessing, for now, I'll not abandon Windows at this crossroad of technology. That could change if I don't figure out what I need to figure out about how Windows handles UEFI.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Programs in the Cloud, so they can be used from any of your devices, at any time, anywhere, is what I see as the wave of the future. The OS in the device won't have any bearing on how you use all the programs that will be offered. However, it will come at a steep price, especially early on, when you have to subscribe to every program.
I figure after a few years, some mega-sized companies will come out with bundles, adding things you don't need, and leaving out at least one or two things you do need in order to get you to buy a larger package.

If you look at how many people currently write apps for cell phones and other devices, it will eventually become so convoluted, if it's not already with everyone and their brother wanting you to download their app.
Security is going to be a thing of the past for a long time if something isn't done to stop the malware that will be easily introduced through all these apps.

I can visualize a totally different type of computing system, nothing like Windows or Linux, both of which will be left in the dust. No more keyboards, no more meeces, and perhaps even touch screens will become a thing of the past.
And perhaps anything and everything you can think of to do on-line will be handled by a little device like a wristwatch or smaller. Something the size of a ball point pen could be a projector for watching video's or even movies, and the battery will last for 20 years or longer without recharging.

I don't suppose we will live long enough to see those days, but I'll bet that is what is on the horizon as I speak.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I believe I saw an interesting question on Quora, it might have been elsewhere. The question was what operating system do airplanes use to keep them aloft? I was expecting Linux to be part of the answer, but it was not. Nor Window, of course. The answer was that there isn't an OS per se. There are many different systems and each one of them is redundant; some three times over. Each unit is independent and designed to run on it's own. This is kind of like the Internet of Things where you have a zillion smart devices in your home that work to make your life easier (in theory). Each one does it as a dedicated independent device. This coincides with your vision of the future. Wearables will rule the day. You will have computerize glasses and hearing aides to enhance your senses, for example. Those FitBIts and Apple watches will keep track of your life style and warn you of impending doom. Heck, they will even call the paramedics when they sense your heart is under attack. I think that indeed is the wave of the future, along with intelligent robots. Cloud computing will lead to a hyped up version of 1984 and Big Brother. Once everyone is hooked up to the cloud, it won't take long for that big computer in the sky to take over your mind. I doubt that I'll see that in practice, but the trend has already begun.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, technically they do not use an Operating System, except for some non-critical operations, where they use Lynx-OS, which is Linux. Nearly every mission critical device on an airplane is not only independent, but also redundant as you pointed out. The custom computer chips used in those devices are usually Unix, Minix, or Posix and programmed directly.

I fear Big Brother has been watching us for long time already. I wouldn't doubt they have access to everything we've ever said over a cell phone, or things we sent or received from our computers, and then there are the camera's placed everywhere. It's getting worse with privately owned home security systems being fed into the cloud.
And don't forget all those satellites out in space that can read the engraving on the earpiece of your glasses, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When you think about it, Big Brother isn't really much of a threat. He is Big and omnipresent, but he is part of the government. And, we all know how efficient they are. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

True THAT!