Way To Go - Finally

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Way To Go - Finally

Post by Kellemora »

I have several icons on my desktop which are links to the programs I use, also several file folders.
However, I keep my main program icons in the upper panel which is on the desktop, but not in the working space.
I keep the lesser used icons in the lower panel. This keeps my desktop fairly clear for the folders I'm working on and the occasional use program I may need during a particular project. I have a few links I keep on the desktop all the time that I really don't want in the panels.

The frau has organized her Schmartz-Fone so it is more like a desktop, like she had on her older Schmartz-Fone, so in essence she has about the equivalent of a Start Menu, but without the Start Menu.
Ironically, I don't have a Schmartz-Fone, but had to show her an easy way to do certain things on hers, such as rotating and cropping a picture without chopping off parts of the picture, unless it was done purposely of course.

She was able to move all the Icons she doesn't use or want into another Icon she named Junk Stuff, hi hi.
So her Schmartz-Fone is fairly clean compared to how it was when she got it.

On your latter comment:
BSD is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, so falls under the heading Linux.
RedHat is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, so falls under the heading Linux.
Debian is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, so falls under the heading GNU/Linux.
Ubuntu is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, so falls under the heading GNU/Linux.
Linux Mint is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, so falls under the heading GNU/Linux.
Android is an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, so it too falls under the heading Linux.
About the only Linux systems that are compatible with each other are the GNU/Linux systems.
All the rest are completely stand-alone Linux systems.
I'm not the one who chose to use the term Linux for ALL OS's that use the Linux kernel!
But it is the standard reference to ANY device using the Linux kernel, regardless of what OS is in use.
yogi

Post by yogi »

In reality I do not have to have any icons at all visible on my Android clever phone. All the installed apps are listed in alphabetical order on a hidden layer of it's own. One can call up that layer by swiping one's finger from bottom to top of the screen. Then, it's just a matter of going down the presorted list to find what you want. It's STILL icons and not links as you might have in a Start menu or a file manager. You have to root your cleverphone to get that degree of granularity.

I have between 20-25 apps visible but spread over three layers, or pages. The home page has all the things I use regularly; 17 items but four of them are under a single icon. That would be something like a folder on a desktop. These are all weather related apps and I put them under one icon to save space. The next two pages have utilities and social media respectively. Thus I sort things by function. There are close to 100 apps in total installed. Several are Google services that I seldom use. I have an app called CCleaner which among other things keeps track of how often and for how long I use all those apps. The one's below 10% useage are put into hibernation. That doesn't seem to matter much because the response is the same no matter how many apps are in focus. Then again, I don't do anything intensive on the clever phone. My battery lasts for two + days as well. It's because I never answer those spam calls. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sounds about like what my frau did with her apps.
The icons for the ones she uses everyday are visible.
All the rest are under another icon which has icons for what type they are used for.

My old flip-fone I only had to charge about once every third week, but did so every other Tuesday.
My new flip-fone I have to charge once a week. I have no idea why it doesn't last as long as the one I liked best.
Now the frau, she has to charge her Schmartz-Fone every day, and if she forgets, it goes dead on her.

I still think atomic powered batteries would be a good idea, hi hi.
Last 50 years, never needs charging, etc. Cost only 2-million bucks each, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

As you well know there are many factors that affect battery life, most of all is the battery design itself. Smartphones do about 500% more things than flip phones and they never shut off entirely. Even when the display is not lit the transmitters of various sorts are operating. You can turn the sucker off and the mic audio is still live. That's how the FBI keeps track of you by the way. :mrgreen:

My flip phone is still alive even though the service for it stopped many months ago. I use it as a clock by the bedside at night. It stays dark until I punch a key to see what time it is. This phone only needs charging ever other week, much like yours. The reason why is that it's not doing anything. It even stopped pinging the base station a few months ago. I'll keep it until the battery dies, but it is going to be a close call to see if the battery or me goes first.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya Yogi! I have a few old flip-fones in my drawer which I used like you did until they finally died. Then I put them in a metal box, just in case they start leaking. I still have that big gray Motorola cell phone. It laid in the console in my car, along with two extra batteries for probably over 20 years, hi hi.
The only reason I never threw it away was, believe it or not, you could dial 911 on it, up until about 5 years ago.
I guess how they connect to the tower was changed about that time. So it was only used to keep the GPS sitting upright.