Apex Pro

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Apex Pro

Post by yogi »

still waiting :rolleyes:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Today, finally, the folks at SteelSeries sent me an e-mail announcing the keyboard they owe me is now in stock. This only took two days, and I'm wondering if that critical review I left regarding their help desk had anything to do with it. :whistle:

August 28th is the scheduled delivery date. Can't wait to find out if it's actually the keyboard or the software.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I hope everything works with this one, including the software.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm using the old keyboard made by Corsair. They have similar software that can be used to create profiles for lighting. It is able to do much more, such as monitor the motherboard fans and processor cores. I can adjust the settings without going into BIOS. There are profiles that can be downloaded and some of them are for overclocking enthusiasts. Too bad the keyboard itself doesn't get along with my fingers. I'm learning a lot about the Corsair software and see how it could be similar to the SteelSeries.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Debi's son had an expensive keyboard that had tons of stuff it could do, he was an avid gamer, probably still is.

I have no idea what he paid for the computer he's using right now, but I know it is 8 cores and 64 gigs of ram, and of course the best graphics card he could find, hi hi.
Heck the ten year old computer he gave Debi has 4 cores and 8 or 16 gigs of ram, and a fairly decent graphics card. It has Windows 7 on it, which she has gotten used to. She still misses her XP though, she loved it the best of all of them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I am old enough to know that there is no such thing as the perfect operating system. There can't ever be such an animal because every human being has unique needs and preferences. You can't please all the people all the time, blah blah blah. I never used Windows XP as a default OS but I have had plenty occasions to use it on computers that I did not own. It's better than Windows 3.11, but that's all I can say for it. I did the Windows 98 thing and then jumped over to Vista when that was released. The day Windows 7 came out I fired up the Silver Yogi for the first time and have not given up that OS to this day. My exposure to Windows 8.x is very limited, and Windows 10 is what drives my laptop. While I'm certainly no expert, I have a lot of exposure to Micrdosoft Windows products. If I had to describe the situation succinctly, I'd say Windows 7 was the best OS Micdrosoft ever invented. It is an upgrade of Windows XP, fully matured and stable. I'm probably running at the limits here with my 8 core Intel processor, 16 GB RAM, and a high end nVidia card. They have better ones now, but Windows 7 can't match what they can do.

So, the gamer's keyboard and mouse is just the icing on the cake, or tower in my case. Anything more state of the art probably won't work on Windows 7. I kept using Windows 98 ten years beyond the end of it's life support from Micdrosoft, but I doubt Windows 7 will be able to serve me that long. Technology is changing much more rapidly these days, and sadly the writing on the wall says desktops are doomed to extinction. Well yeah, us gamers will still use desktops, but try and get parts for them ten years from now. Good luck.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't think I'll have to worry about being around in ten more years.
I'm already 3 years past my expected life expectancy with my medical problems.
When I moved into stage 3 COPD/Emphysema, everything the doc said, as well as what I found on-line, showed I was near the end of my reel, hi hi.

Before I post the following, I should say the numbers are backwards from what my doctor reluctantly used.
I was in stage 1 many years ago, then moved to stage 2, then moved into stage 3 about three years ago. Stage 4 is next.
So if you reverse the number shown on the Mortality Table below, based on it I'm in stage 2, which only gave me 1.4 years to live.

Mortality rates
As with any serious disease, such as COPD or cancer, probable life expectancy is based largely on the severity or stage of the disease.

For example, in a 2009 study published in the International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, a 65-year-old man with COPD who currently smokes tobacco has the following reductions in life expectancy, depending on stage of COPD:

stage 1: 0.3 years
stage 2: 2.2 years
stage 3 or 4: 5.8 years
The article also noted that for this group, an additional 3.5 years were also lost to smoking compared with those who never smoked and didn’t have lung disease.

For former smokers, the reduction in life expectancy from COPD is:

stage 2: 1.4 years
stage 3 or 4: 5.6 years
The article also noted that for this group, an additional 0.5 years were also lost to smoking compared to those who never smoked and didn’t have lung disease.

For those who never smoked, the reduction in life expectancy is:

stage 2: 0.7 years
stage 3 or 4: 1.3 years
For former smokers and those who’ve never smoked, the difference in life expectancy for people at stage 0 and people at stage 1 wasn’t as significant, as opposed to those who were current smokers.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'd tell you to stop smoking, but I know the likely response. What's the point?
Mom was taking a lot of meds and undergoing treatments for a variety of illnesses. During one of her stays in the ICU she was declared (erroneously, I must add) to be terminal. They took her off most of the drugs and disconnected all but one of the tubes. We told mom the diagnosis and she laughed. She said she wasn't about to die and was glad she didn't have to take all those drugs anymore. She went home to hospice care which lasted nearly three years. The only instructions I got as her caregiver was to keep in mind that it's now all about the quality of her life. I was to help her die as comfortably as possible. She still went to see most of the doctors, but there wasn't any heroic effort to save her life being terminal as she was. Mom loved this lack of attention and I have to say she thrived on it. I guess the point I'm trying to get at is if you are near the end of the road, doing "healthy" things is pointless. Enjoy what you can while you can.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

This may sound counter-intuitive, but after I get up to my office in the morning, I can't seem to hack up the phlegm until I have a cigarette. Then it is a quick easy job and I'm good for several hours.
In lieu of a cigarette, I can also take a Guaifenesin tablet, which usually hangs up in my throat and burns until I can force it down with a small pecan spin roll or something. It takes about 1/2 hour before it starts working.

My mom's dad had Emphysema, and although he quit smoking completely, he still went downhill super fast.
He loved his pipe, and about a week before he died, he sent my uncle up to the store for a pouch of his favorite tobacco.
He sat up on the edge of his bed and smoked the whole thing. Then for the next three days, he was able to get up out of bed, something he had not been able to do for months. Even sat at the kitchen table for lunch and dinner on those three days as well. Having a short pipe after dinner. Except on the third day. He said something about he has had his pleasure, but it was time to go back to bed. His O2 kept dropping and technically he died of heart failure and complications from liver and kidneys all due to low oxygen.

This is why I'm on oxygen at night, an overnight test showed mine dropped below 83 at night, which is below the danger level, but during the day I'm usually good around 94 to 96 on average, sometimes as high as 98 if remember to breath right.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yes, the benefits of smoking do sound counter-intuitive. I know what makes sense, but all I can do is refer back to what I've said earlier. This is not the time of your life to do sensible things. It's a time to do whatever it takes to get the last bit of enjoyment out of every moment. That's not to say I recommend abusing yourself to excess. Cigarettes are bad news, but if they help you breathe, then go for it.

I have some concerns about marijuana too. It's becoming legal in a lot of places which I think eventually will lead to revelations about it's negative impact on the human body. But then there is this fellow I know in Alabama. He has chronic back and hip pain and can barely stand up, not to mention walk. He qualified for what he called his M&M card, medical marijuana, and is now smoking pot. The pain goes away for several hours and all he gets is a slight buzz. I'm sure the medical stuff isn't the same as what you buy on the street, but it's going to take a long time to convince me it's actually beneficial. Fortunately, I don't need to be convinced for this friend of mine to feel better for smoking a joint. He is just doing whatever it takes to make his life better.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There is medical marijuana that does not have the THC part that gives the buzz.
The husband of our housekeeper switched to the non-buzz stuff and gets the same relief.
He's leery of buying street stuff because you never know what's really in it, a lot is laced with something worse now.

I wasn't saying smoking is good for you, we know it is not. It is a pollutant for sure.

But all the BOGUS information coming from the government and lung research places, does not correlate with the information well established by the FDA.
There has NEVER been a test conducted on Tobacco, and especially not on organic tobacco.
I've been looking for such a test now for over 20 years, wrote many letters, and all I get back are Fake Tests not on tobacco.

Let me explain, but I'll keep it short.
If you took a glass of distilled water, and added let's say a dozen of the 599 chemicals the FDA has approved as safe for use in the manufacture of cigarettes, of which we know 63 are known carcinogens and another 45 are suspected carcinogens.
When you tested that glass of water, what would you expect to find? Only the chemicals you added to it, right!

When they use manufactured cigarettes laced with chemicals in their tests, they are finding the chemicals the FDA has already approved as SAFE and claiming they are ALL super bad for you.

So, you have the FDA saying the chemicals are SAFE, and the Lung Research places saying those same chemicals are BAD.
If you ask them for a copy of a report showing which strains of tobacco they tested, the only reports they send to you are ones for Brand Name Cigarettes, and several pages of HYPE based on FALSE DATA.

I have several aunts and uncles who all live to be over 100 years old, and they all smoked like a stoker furnace their entire lives. I've only had a few of my relatives who did not make it to the age shown on Mortality Tables. Like my sister who died of Brain Cancer, or those who pickled their liver with alcohol.

People born in this decade are expected to live to 78.6 years of age.
But that does not apply to people born in the 1940's.
For those born in the 1940's, at that time the Mortality Table showed 72 years of age, but with technological advances in medicine and health care, those born in the 1940's are expected to live on average to age 74.8 or 75.4 if after 1945.
Most of my relatives around my same are are still alive. Cousin George, born in 1941 is 78, so he's on borrowed time now too, hi hi. Of my relatives around my age who are no longer with us, most of them died in some type of accident. One cousin had a crane fall over and crush him, another was electrocuted while working for the light and power company. One of Debi's cousins, much younger than us died of a massive heart attack similar to the one I had, but lived too far away from the hospital to get there in time.
I guess when I number is up, it's up!
yogi

Post by yogi »

For those born in the 1940's, at that time the Mortality Table showed 72 years of age, but with technological advances in medicine and health care, those born in the 1940's are expected to live on average to age 74.8 or 75.4 if after 1945.
I'm going to type this reply to you really fast because I was born in 1944, and guess how old I was 7 days ago. Did you say 74.8? You would be correct if you did. It was nice knowing you. :grin:

I understand what you are looking for with tobacco testing, but who smokes straight tobacco? I guess some people did many years ago when hand rolled cigars were available. I had the pleasure of watching a local Cuban make a cigar for me while I waited. Never had one like it since, and probably never will given Cuban tobacco isn't allowed in this country. Well, you can't use it to manufacture anything.

The FDA has a different mission than does any consumer interest group. In the case of tobacco they are essentially talking about two different things. In the final analysis, the cigarette you smoke is lethal. It doesn't matter what's in it besides the tobacco. You are ingesting it and there is a long list of things in it that are not good for you, FDA approval notwithstanding.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

FWIW: I buy locally grown organic tobacco from a tobacco shop. Farmers are not allowed to sell tobacco direct to consumers, because then they would have to handle all the red tape, taxes, and mucho piles of paperwork, more so than what they already have to be certified organic.

When I switched from manufactured cigarettes to rolling my own using a Top-O-Matic cigarette making machine. My lung capacity jumped up 25% which astounded my doctor. There were other factors besides switching the kind of tobacco I use, such as practicing my breathing exercises better and more often, which I do daily now, and I get a lot more exercise too.

I quit smoking a pipe eons ago because I inhaled, and even though I liked my tobacco blends I mixed, I learned a few things about flavor enhanced pipe tobacco's which were never meant to be inhaled or used in making cigarettes.

On occasion I post on some of the health sites seeking anyone or any organization who has ever tested tobacco with added chemicals as found in cigarettes. So far, no one has ever come forward, nor rebutted my claim that no test has ever been done on the various tobacco strains.

There are pollutants in all cigarettes. Many more pollutants in manufactured cigarettes, this we know.
If cigarettes were lethal as you claim, why have not most of the population died off?
Almost nobody abstained from cigarette smoking until only recently. Yet we have numerous folks living well beyond the normal life expectancy, and some into their 90s and upwards with a few crossing the 100 year mark.
Since smoking is a hot topic by those who tax us to death without just cause, nearly everything is blamed on either cigarettes or guns. Why not blame the Speed Drug Coffee. Do you know when the ATF was formed, Coffee was going to be one of the substances they controlled? ACTF. But since nearly every poly-TICK-ian drank coffee, and they didn't want it controlled, it was removed from the charter for ACTF and became ATF.

I for one would love to see every law and tax that has been applied to cigarettes added to coffee!
Ban it from all buildings open to the public, Tax it as high as they do cigarettes, and ban it from being drunk within 25 feet of a doorway, ban it from public parks, ban it from drinking while driving, ban it around minors, etc. ad infinitum.

With all the smoking bans in place, the growth rate of Cancer is still climbing even faster.
Most of that is from FOOD products and FDA approved as SAFE chemicals added to our foods.
Burning Candles in a house is more deadly than smoking cigarettes, but you don't see them harping about that!
yogi

Post by yogi »

To be blunt about it the government doesn't care if you want to smoke yourself to death. They ban smoking in public places to prevent you for killing others. I use the term "lethal" loosely, but there is more than ample evidence from numerous studies, both private and government funded, to show how harmful cigarettes are. You might be correct to say they exaggerate the dangers of smoking, but the effort is to try and discourage people from taking up the habit and price others out of the market. When people deny the harms associated with smoking I'm tempted to ask them if they think global warming is fake news too. I don't ask because I know the reply.

Coffee, or the caffeine in it, is highly addictive. I'll agree with you that it probably should be regulated for the same reasons cigarette smoking should be regulated. Coffee, unlike tobacco smoke, isn't quite as lethal. I guess you could say opioids aren't lethal either. Be that all as it may, a risk factor line was drawn and tobacco ended up on the wrong side.

As the revenues from marijuana increase you will see less pressure on tobacco products. Mark my words on that.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Ironically, the worst smell in the world, second to a decomposing body, is the lobby of a Hospital where they have half a dozen coffee urns spewing foul odors into the air. Hospitals were some of the first to Ban Smoking, but PUSH the SPEED DRUG Coffee HEAVILY.
Has anyone ever tested second hand coffee stench? As far as I'm concerned it is more lethal than cigarette smoke!

Nearly every office, warehouse, and factory allowed smoking for hundreds of years.
So how is it suddenly as harmful as they claim, especially when folks lived for so many years without issues from second hand smoke?

Why is not burning candles inside not banned, they are more deadly than cigarettes. One candle is the equivalent of something like three cartons of cigarettes. But nothing is ever said about candles!

The government only want's poor and lower class people to stop smoking. I see no effort whatsoever to stop the middle and upper class from smoking. Only the poor and lower class are drastically punished! Why is that?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Oh lordy lordy. You are asking loaded questions that deserve a thread, if not a whole website, of their own. We can do that if you like, but it's going to get very political and strike at some fundamental beliefs upon which we do not agree fully. Beliefs are not facts, after all.

I'd say you are special by being put off when it comes to coffee aromas, but my mom had the same problem. She claimed it smelled like ether and she had some bad memories of that from her childhood. Foul as the aroma of coffee may or may not be, there is no direct or indirect link to it making people sick or die. It's not considered to be a public hazard even if it cause some people to puke. Cigarettes have been studied for decades because there is a direct link between tobacco smoke and human health. Thus the studies attempted to define exactly how hazardous the smoke is and if it should be considered a public hazard. Well, you know how that went. The tobacco industry did it's own studies and did not come to the same conclusion as the government. No surprises there. Smoking always was a danger to one's well being, but nobody bothered to investigate it until relatively modern times. We can debate the reasoning behind the studies until the cows come home, but the Surgeon General decided it's bad for us citizens and the rest is history.

It's true. Burning candles might kill you. Who knows how many people died from it back in the Stone Age? In this century, not enough people are addicted to candle burning to justify intervention by any government. It ranks right up there with rat poison. That will kill you too if you ingest enough of it. But is it a public health hazard?

The government is taxing the sale of cigarettes to all US citizens be they rich, poor, or something in between. The public bans apply to everyone regardless of social or economic class. I don't see any of the laws intended to regulate tobacco smoking as being an attack on any specific group of people. Well, maybe it's an attack on smokers, but that's a different question.

The United States government changed direction in 2016 when the present administration was installed. We've touched upon some of the things going on in Washington in other threads and kept our comments civil and limited for obvious reasons. I do believe that there is a deliberate attempt being made to change the form of government we currently enjoy. The process of change involves creation of two classes: the poor and the wealthy. The wealthy, of course, have the money and the power which is the point of making the change. It's not a new phenomena either. It's happened in many other third world countries. It's a established system in Russia today. At this point in time nobody knows with certainty how the attempt at change of our government will develop. I do strongly believe that it will be decided during the 2020 presidential elections.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

In North America, 90% of adults consume coffee daily, with over one-half of U.S. residents consuming over 300 milligrams per day, making it North America's most popular drug.

Coffee is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive substance, but unlike many others, it is unfortunately legal and unregulated in nearly all jurisdictions. It affects you in a similar way that amphetamines, cocaine, and heroin stimulate your brain, although it has a much milder affect, it does have the same addictive qualities as these other drugs.

Scientists have classified caffeine as a psychoactive mind-altering drug that can alter moods and behavior, it affects how we think and feel. It is a stimulant of the central nervous system that speeds up our breathing, heart rate, thoughts and actions.
Known medically as trimethylxanthine, caffeine in its pure form is a white, bitter tasting powder.
While high amounts are naturally found in chocolate, coffee and tea, smaller amounts are also added to many soft drinks and medications.

When coffee is consumed in moderation, usually defined as less than 200 millligrams per day, conservatively the amount in one to two cups of coffee per day, most researchers concluded there is little risk to people's health.
However, somewhere along the way, coffee and caffeine substitutes have become an obsession for many Americans. Consuming more than 300 milligrams per day poses serious health risks, and over 600 milligrams per day can cause death.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It takes 10 grams of caffeine to kill you, i.e. 10,000 milligrams. 300 milligrams seems trivial by comparison. I don't know about that 90% figure, but I could agree that most of the adults I know and have known drink coffee. Oddly enough I don't know of any who died from it. On the other hand, I have known a few who failed the tobacco smoking test.

While I agree in principle that it would be a grand idea to regulate coffee consumption, it would be nearly impossible to enforce anything like that. I'm certain that's the main reason coffee consumption isn't restricted. Caffeine, however, which should be regulate, is not. You can go to most any drug store and buy all the caffeine (energy) pills you can afford.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Since they came out with these super-caffeinated drinks, more and more people are ending up in the hospital or being found dead from ODing on caffeine.
The death certificate will never say they died from caffeine, it will either say heart attack, stroke, or smoking (even for non-smokers).
Burn your hand lighting a BBQ grill and the first question they ask in the ER is Do You Smoke. What does that have to do with my burnt hand. Oh, nothing, we are just trained to blame everything on smoking, it's all they teach us these days.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Hospitals and Urgent Care Centers ask a lot of what seems like inane questions. They are required to ask, particularly if you are going to pay the bill via Medicare. My doctor came up with an interesting speculation regarding all that. He thinks some day the premiums one pays for Medicare (or whatever is around at the time) will be based upon personal efforts at wellness. Smokers, alcohol drinkers, couch potatoes, and others who show little regard for their general health will be paying more than us health-minded folks. They do that kind of screening for automobile insurance, and it makes sense that it would be done for medical insurance too. But, none of that is in place in 2019 so that I too do not know why they care if my staircase has a railing or not. They did ask that the last time I saw a doctor.