Vivaldi

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Re: Vivaldi

Post by yogi »

I'd guess crude oil can be used in a wider variety of ways than natural gas. That's why the supply of crude is important. 50 years out it may all be moot. We may have killed ourselves off as a civilization by then. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I honestly don't think a company would invest billions of dollars in developing a product and building manufacturing plants for something they know the raw material, in this case oil, would soon run out.

By the same token, as technologies change, so does the items we use as well.
My great-grandparents used Wood for heating our homes and greenhouses.
My grandparents used Coal for heating the greenhouses, and kerosene or oil for heating their homes.
My parents at first used oil for heating their home and greenhouses.
Then they switched to Natural Gas for heating home and greenhouses.

Most new homes that are not heated by Natural Gas, use Electricity.
Electricity can be generated by Coal or Oil Steam Plants, Hydroelectric Dams, Nuclear Plants, and now Wind Farms and Solar Panels.

Wood is still used for building, but not so much for heating.
Coal is still used for a few things, but not much anymore.
We are still heavy users of oil in almost all industries.
But for electric, it is slowly giving way to Wind and Solar.

Many products, mainly those we call plastics, are using less and less oil in their manufacture.
Organic Resins are what a lot of plastics are made from now.
Bags are made from Starch and have no oil associated with them at all.

My point here is, we NEVER ran out of Coal, despite it's heavy use for over a few centuries.
Oil and Gas pulled us away from the Coal era.
And now, we can see other energy forms and alternative materials for manufacturing pulling us away from Oil.

I would bet you dollars to doughnuts, that before we run out of oil, it will lie dormant and mostly unused, just like the coal we have sitting mostly unused currently.

Although it does take a lot of OIL to make an Electric Car, and Coal or Oil is used to generate the power used to charge them up. It won't be long before most cars will be electric and the power for them from Solar Panels.

Now here is food for thought. Could the capturing of the suns rays using Solar Panels, cause a Global Cooling because the sun is being used rather than striking the earth to keep the earth warm? The sun reflects back skyward off the solar panels, and the energy is consumed and sent out on wires for use elsewhere!

Just like we CLAIM the use of Fossil Fuels is causing the earth to heat up, I'm sure they will some day CLAIM the use of Solar Panels is causing the earth to cool down. Just so they can tax it higher!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The key to success in the future will not be money or guns. The nation with the most energy resources will be the one that survives longest. Places like China, India, and Brazil are just ramping up. They won't be a peak production for many years yet. When they reach that point the consumption of energy will increase exponentially. Crude oil may not be in such high demand depending on the state of technology, but let there be no doubt in your mind that there is a limit to how much oil is buried in Mother Earth. Nobody knows exactly how much there is, but they do know it won't be there forever.

The consensus among scientific minds is that the so called greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere are increasing and causing a drastic change in the climate. Things are heating up worldwide. Solar panels use photons from the sun to cause a chemical reaction in solar panels which ends up as a flow of current. A lot of that light from the sun does reflect back skyward off solar panels. But that's not what is causing the current concern.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't believe all this global warming crap for the same reason I didn't believe the fake Ozone scare.
The entire planet has been warming back up since the peak of the current ice age.
When we finally reach the valley of the current ice age, then things will start cooling down, and continue to cool down until we reach the peak of the next ice age.
Now they are talking about CO2. They want to reduce CO2 which is ridiculous.
Cut off the CO2 and all of our plants, shrubs, and trees, that provide Oxygen for us to breath will die.
They require CO2 just as we require Oxygen! The more CO2 the better, the better they breath and the more oxygen they produce.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Be it the Ice Age or not, there is an abundance of evidence that the levels of CO2 are increasing at an abnormal rate. It's the CO2 that absorbs the sun's infra red radiation and causes things to heat up. That's physics, not a belief system. The correlation between the increased levels of green house gases and the rise in atmospheric temperature does not prove causation. That's the argument nay sayers like to bring up; not very scientific, but it's an argument.

I'm not worried about depriving plants the CO2 they need. What I am worried about is the accelerated hacking of the Amazon Rain Forests which not only provide a lot of biodiversity but also most of the O2 us humans need to exist. It's odd how nobody brings that up in a discussion of climate change.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

AS they hack away at the rain forest, they are eliminated what uses the CO2.

Funny, nobody said anything about the US clearing the forests to make farmland or build massive cities.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't think human behavior can reverse the effects of the Ice Age cycle, but we can cut back on the excesses.

The Amazon is of particular interest due to it's density. About 20% of the O2 in the world comes from that region alone. The contribution by the trees replaced by concrete and steel is significantly less. Plus, when they were clearing forests to build cities in America there was no crisis as there is today.
AS they hack away at the rain forest, they are eliminated what uses the CO2.
It's interesting that you would make that comment because an increase in CO2 would be much more harmful if there were no forests to consume it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

A couple of our greenhouses, although well ventilated, were used to raise tropical trees and large plants.
We used to pump CO2 into these greenhouses every so often to keep the trees from starving for air.
It's sorta like adding fertilizer in a way. They always green-up after a CO2 injection.

We used to have older folks come and walk through our tropical sales houses all the time.
They were not their to buy anything, they were more like Mall Walkers, hi hi.
The concentration of O2 inside the sales houses was always a lot higher than outside, especially in the winter when we couldn't keep the ventilators wide open or we would lose all of our heat.

About every 20 feet down the center of each tropical greenhouse, we had duct-work that ran from a foot above the floor up to the rafters. These would pull the CO2 from the floor up to the roof and let it fall back down over the plants again.

I know a lot of folks don't think about it much, but in a greenhouse, you can end up with too much CO2 down at floor level.
This is why almost all greenhouses have open doors or ground vents blowing to outside.
WHY if plants take in CO2 and give off Oxygen?
They only do that during the day. At night the process is reversed, but on a much smaller scale.

Back to speaking about the rainforests. Due to the density of the trees, it is possible for a human to suffer from oxygen starvation in a rainforest at night time. It would be rare of course, but CO2 level at night, at ground level, do go up considerably. Even in our regular forests, but there is more air circulation in our type of forests.
yogi

Post by yogi »

According to Google, and Google certainly knows everything, the Amazon supplies 20% of the world's oxygen. If the rain forests disappeared, how would your lungs respond to that shortage? No need to answer because I know what a person with emphysema would likely say. We probably could get by with 20% less, but why would we want to? Likewise, we probably can endure high CO2 concentrations; why would we want to? I know the answer to that too, but I don't want to get into the politics of things.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although the band of oxygen around the earth is technically about 300 miles, it is too thin for us to breath.
When I flew hot air balloons, we were not allowed to go above 10k without extra oxygen.
That being said, the insurance companies limited us to 9k feet.
And believe me when I say, it is damn cold at only about 5k feet. Need a winter coat and long johns.

My lungs retain CO2 and since my COPD is getting worse, I'm now on oxygen at night, because I dropped below the danger point while sleeping. Part of your lungs shut down and sleep too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think the planet earth is similar to humans in the sense that a lot o excess capacity is built into the system. That allows the planet to exist even when undergoing drastic environmental changes. Humans are pretty flexible too but not as much as Mother Earth. We exist only because the right combination of environmental elements are in balance. Tip the scale too much, and poof. We be history. You know, that doesn't bother most people to think about. Who cares if humanity vanishes after we die? Nobody important I guess; just our descendants.

You have me thinking now. Is too much CO2 retention the same as oxygen deprivation? The lungs have a constant volume and only so much gas can fill them regardless of what that gas is. I'd guess it's identical because the solution for your night time problem is the addition of oxygen.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The sacs in our lungs take in oxygen and give off CO2.
With COPD and Emphysema, you lose a lot of lung capacity.
A year ago my lung capacity was down to 75%, as of my last spirometer test I'm down to only 50% capacity.
Basically what this means, in my case anyhow, is that the CO2 sitting in the bottom of my lungs is not getting exhaled.
To counteract this, I have to Huff breath IN, then pursed lip breath out, to stir it up so I can exhale more.
The little sacs I mentioned do not regenerate, when they are gone, they are gone.
So as I slowly lose them, there are less to take in oxygen. Plus the phlegm I don't hack up at night when I'm sleeping coats them and blocks the O2 from getting to them. Also, some of them sleep when we sleep as well.
My night time O2, while I'm asleep, using an overnight monitor and recorder, showed I dropped below 83.
This is why they put me on oxygen at night. I don't have sleep apnea so a CPAP machine won't do anything oxygen itself won't do. They do have me on meds I take an hour before I go to bed to help get more of the phlegm out before I go to sleep.
The bad thing about low oxygen is it can cause organ damage to the liver, kidneys, and heart.
Since my two heart attacks, they have me on meds to help keep fluids from building up around my heart, and they were working great, except my nose dripped like an old faucet all the time. Annoying but tolerable.
When I'm asleep, all these drips end up draining down into my lungs.
So now they have me on a decongestant and a pill to dry up my sinuses during the night, which is not good for the heart either. Plus I use a nebulizer before bedtime which adds more meds directly into my lungs, but it does help loosen and get up more phlegm before I lay down to go to sleep.
During the day, when I'm up, if my O2 drops below 94, I do my breathing exercises until it is back up to around 97.
Because I do think about this all the time, I have learned to take deep breaths, a few Huff breaths, and pursed lip exhales several times throughout the day. I do feel much better when I remember to do this too.

Before I had my first heart attack, my doc said I would outlive my lungs.
After the second heart attack, he more or less quit saying that.
But then after the last spirometer test, he's back to saying I'm going to outlive my lungs again.
He's probably right!
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's deja vu all over again. Your explanation paralleled pretty much what my mom went through. She too had COPD but asthma was at the root of it. Her treatment was amazingly similar to yours. In her case she ended up with oxygen 24 hours a day. She had a nifty little portable unit she attached to her waist for when she went mobile. There was an option to use a liquid oxygen system which had a smaller fanny pack, but I'd have to keep a tank of frozen O2 in the garage. We decided against that route. I can empathize with what you must be going through, and it isn't fun. I think you answered my question well. Being oxygen deprived is the consequence of excess carbon dioxide in your lungs.

I was just talking to a friend who has sleep apnea and was given a CPAP machine. It's helping her a lot apparently. The machine doesn't provide oxygen all the time. It only does so as needed. She wears a mask to bed and I'm guessing the machine monitors the pressure inside it to keep things under control. You normally don't need a mask when you are on oxygen and the supply does not vary when you sleep or are awake.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My cousin has a permanent dent in his face from his CPAP machines mask.
Apparently it has to be tight enough on your face to force air into your lungs during the pressure cycle.
In other words, it is doing the breathing for you I guess.
I never asked him how it works, but I'm thinking as long as you are breathing normally it doesn't kick on, but if you stop breathing it fires up and takes over, perhaps for 5 to 15 minutes, then stops to see if you are breathing on your own again.
Seems it would be bad to have it running and doing your breathing for you, like an intubator or whatever they are called.

We had TWO very large liquid O2 tanks in our house. They sweat and will ruin a floor if they are not set in shallow pans.
They leak O2 all the time, because they cannot be sealed, and the O2 evaporates whether you are using it or not.
My late wife had portable liquid tanks we could fill from the large main tanks. A nice feature!
I had the house plumbed like a hospital, with the pipes inside the walls, we had the same plate on the wall as hospitals have to connect oxygen lines, and the plug-in flow control meters.
One in the bathroom, the den, the kitchen, and the master bedroom.
Sounds like a lot, but was really only two pipes inside the walls.
The bathroom wall was integral with the master bedroom wall, so one pipe fed both of those outlets.
The den and kitchen also shared a wall, sorta. One pipe fed the those two outlets.
Plus she could connect directly to either of the large tanks, but usually didn't.
We really didn't need one in the kitchen and in the den, since they were fairly close together.
But you would have to go all the way through the kitchen to get to the one facing the den.
There was a basement staircase and the den one was near the staircase in the hall actually, while the one in the kitchen was at the other end of the staircase. In any case, it sure beat having a hose strung out through the house.
Oh, almost forgot something about the kitchen outlet. A permanent plastic hose was connected to it, and fed up to the chain on the ceiling lights over the center island. This kept the hose up in the air, off the floor while moving around in the kitchen.
Do you remember the little ball shaped figurines on a long soft spring that hung from ceilings?
I hooked one of these to the ceiling fixture screw in the office and added a loop hook so she could slip her hose over the hook while in the office. The spring had little tension at all, so gave her freedom of movement around the office without knocking things off the desks, hi hi.

I honestly hope I never get to the point I have to have oxygen 24/7, but I hear it is inevitable.
yogi

Post by yogi »

In lieu of the O2 tanks in the garage mom had a machine that made oxygen. We got it from the hospice people along with several different lengths of tubing. I think one of the coils had to be 25 ft long so that she could wear the tubing and move about through several rooms in the house. We ended up with two machines; essentially one at each end of the house. Mom claimed she was not uncomfortable at all with the tubing up her nose, but she did have this leash attaching her to her oxygen machine. The fanny packs were the best for travel, but they didn't last long. We used the machines as much as possible.

I think you are right about things not getting better with emphysema. They only get worse. As you point out, those alveoli cease to function and cannot be regenerated. All you can do is attempt to prevent further decline.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My late wife could not seem to get enough oxygen from those oxygen concentration machines, which is how we wound up with liquid oxygen. At 2 lpm they only put out around 94 to 96% oxygen, at 4 lpm it drops down to around 85%, 6 lpm is usually a little too high of a setting without getting wind burn in your nose.
Liquid oxygen on the other hand is 100% at any flow rate. So if you were on 4 lpm on a concentration machine, you only need about 2 lpm on pure oxygen. But remember, it is diluted as you inhale with room air.
One of the biggest problems they had using oxygen tents over patients was the O2 inside the tent was way too high, and cause problems like blindness and other maladies.

I'm not sure how the concentrators actually work, but I figure they are filtering out nitrogen and hydrogen using filters, which makes the amount of O2 higher.

Some of the things we were taught in science and biology class about out bodies is not necessarily true.
We were told our cells replace each other every so often, aka we are a new person something like every five years.
This is sorta true, living cells do replace themselves, but cells that have died do not replace themselves.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I took to disliking biology since the day I had to dissect my first rat. They dyed all the internal parts so that they were easy to recognize, but these were real rats and had to be kept in Formaldehyde to preserve them for most of the school semester. I can't tell you how bad Formaldehyde smells. Human cells do regenerate themselves; some take longer than others. Some cells do not regenerate at all, such as brain cells. That's one of the reasons I used to get myself to quit drinking alcohol.

One of the ways they separate the gasses in our atmosphere is to cool them down. They all freeze at different temperatures. The oxygen concentrators my mom had could not have had that kind of thing inside, but I too wondered exactly what the machine was doing. I concluded that it didn't change the ratio of oxygen at all. It simply compressed the air somehow to squeeze more molecules into a given volume. The machines did generate heat which could be an indication of the compression, but the motor itself would heat up too, I'm sure. I never did look into it to understand what's going on there.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I looked it up a few days ago, can't find the exact site I was at, but here is another one that explains it, but not as well.
https://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.com ... tors-work/

Basically it uses Zeolite to temporarily trap the Nitrogen.
Ironically, oxygen gets pumped back through the canister to blow the nitrogen back out into the room air again, along with some of the oxygen. Almost sounds self-defeating, but apparently works OK.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thanks for the link. The machine looks pretty simple except for the Zeolite. Where the heck does that stuff come from? It's pretty clever that the room air is recirculated too. The nearly pure oxygen was delivered directly to mom's nose via a cannula tube that fit inside her nostrils. It didn't matter much what was in the room air because she was getting the purified gas.

The machines mom used had a battery backup system. From what I understood it only would last a couple hours on battery. That's one reason I kept a small generator out in the garage. It would not only help mom but keep the sump pump going.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Most salt water aquarium stores carry Zeolite, it is used in certain filters to help keep nitrates down. Doesn't last long for that purpose though, since nitrates are technically a solid, not a gas.
Folks who use carbon filters to remove chlorine from their water don't realize chlorine is a gas, and if they let the filter dry out, it is usable again, sometimes many times before it gets loaded with other chemicals in the water.

At my house in St. Loo I had a couple of nice generators, one portable and one large one for the house.
I think I mentioned it before, a big China Diesel generator I used for a whole year to spite the electric company.

The oxygen concentrator I have does have a 2 hour backup battery, plus they leave me with an pressurized oxygen tank which will give me another hour or two if needed.