HP printer back to its original problem.

Ask questions and give answers about computers, mobile devices, game boxes, PC security and all manner of geeky stuff.
Kellemora

HP printer back to its original problem.

Post by Kellemora » 03 Aug 2017, 16:05

I've not had to do any printing since my last order about six months ago.
Got ready to print the order only to find its back to printing way too light.
I downloaded the newest driver hoping that would fix the problem. It did not.
I tried all the tricks I used before to get it to print right. No Luck.

I spent the entire day trying settings, doing the cleaning cycle, trying other computers including Windows computers, and they all print the same overly light print. Even the text is light gray like it is half toned, but now lighter than previous.

Even printing plain text comes out gray.

Looks like I really did buy a Boat Anchor and HP has once again burned me big time!
And I have an order to get out, and can't afford to buy another printer right now.
Sheeeee, will it ever end?

yogi

Re: HP printer back to its original problem.

Post by yogi » 03 Aug 2017, 18:29

I feel your pain, Gary. HP has been pretty good to me over the years, but they are not the high quality they used to be a few decades ago. My thinking is that the only reason anyone sells printers now and days is so that they can gouge you on the purchase of their ink supplies. Printing must be a dying niche office activity. While I do commiserate with you, it's hard for me to believe that even the crappiest printers would only do gray scale printing. Something is wrong somewhere and the obvious fixes do not apply in your case. The only suggestion I can make is to try and get through to an engineer at HP. That person should be smart enough to give you the guidance you need, or tell you definitively that you can't do what you are trying to do. Then again, that also is hard to believe. How complicated must it be to print shipping labels?

Perhaps it's time to think out of the box. Could there be alternative ways to print what you need? Can a neighbor or some office supply house help you out for a small price? You are one of the more inventive and creative people I know. I am certain you will come up with an alternate solution. Unfortunately, you may not be able to avoid the angst it takes to get there.

Kellemora

Re: HP printer back to its original problem.

Post by Kellemora » 04 Aug 2017, 18:13

I can't use an out of house printer, except possibly for the box labels, because all the numbers and codes change for each order.
Each carton has two labels, one full-color, each case has four labels. Then I have to print the UPS labels before they pick up the outbound order.

I just tried a simple Copy of a page, and it comes out light now also, which it didn't do before.
I've tried old drivers, new drivers, on three different computers, one being a Windows 10 computer too.
The problem is definitely inside the printer itself, since the copy function works internally.

And it figures, it was too long since my last order, and now the warranty has expired.
Even so, it was defective when I got it, so I don't know if I have a leg to stand on there.

I've talked to others who have the exact same printer and they've not had a light print problem, one had a too dark print problem, but that turned out to be his software, he changed to a different graphics display program and then it worked OK.