Ubuntu Gnome 14.10

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Ubuntu Gnome 14.10

Post by yogi »

Having had some exposure to Ubuntu MATE, I was curious to see what Ubuntu Gnome is all about. They both seem to be hell bent on setting back computer environments to the last century, and that made me wonder what is the attraction. So, I downloaded ubuntu-gnome-14.10-desktop-amd64.iso to begin the adventure.

The first thing I learned was that 7GB of disk space would be required to install this puppy. Most of my virtual boxes are 10GB and I didn't think that was enough. Thus I installed Ubuntu Gnome on a 16GB memory stick which was quite easy to do. The usual set up and updates were performed and then the login screen appeared. It was a nice graphic reminiscent of MATE's but cleaner. After that the Gnome desktop appeared:

I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought there would be more than a single menu item called "Activities" on the upper left of the desktop. The upper right has the usual network, sound, and battery icons plus a drop down menu for adjusting screen brightness and a few other things. This brightness control eliminates the need for me to hunt down a display menu to do something very basic. In the center is the time date which opens up into a calendar when you hover over it, and adjustments for setting the time. It's a spartan desktop, but very convenient.

When I clicked on "Activities" to see what would happen, the following screen appeared:

Well now we are getting somewhere. I recognized the familiar Ubuntu launcher and some of the app icons placed there by default. The defaults are, Firefox, Evolution, Empathy, Rhythmbox, Shotwell, LibreOffice, (system) Files, Help, and Show Applications at the bottom. Originally there were no apps that I can recall, but as I got to playing with the system the apps I have used are shown when clicking that bottom icon.

Like Ubuntu's Unity, when you start typing in the search box, relevant apps that match your search characters show up. This is lovely for a fellow like myself who has spent a lot of time exploring Ubuntu, but I thought this was a GNOME implementation. Why does it look so much like the old familiar Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

OK some things take on the Gnome-ish look, but still. I see a blend of Unity and Gnome instead of the classic desktop presented by MATE. I've not tried to do much yet, but have noted that Ubuntu Gnome has a hard time remembering settings made on the fly. File views, for example, revert to icon view no matter how often I tell it to show me a list. This might have something to do with the media and no persistence partition. But I never had to configure such a thing for other flavors of Ubuntu so that I'm thinking there is an bug in the distro (at worst) or an irritation brought upon myself (at best) due to the memory stick media. Either way I didn't go much further than a cursory exploration of Ubuntu Gnome. I will pursue it further and probably report back here on what I find. It looks promising. I like the combination of classic and contemporary desktops, but including Gnome in the name of the distro is misleading. It's way more than that. If you are looking for the Gnome look and feel, it seems that Ubuntu MATE is a better choice than Ubuntu Gnome.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Ubuntu Gnome 14.10

Post by Kellemora »

I don't have or want a Schmartz-Fone, nor do I want my computer desktop to look like one either.

Ever since I started computing, the trend was to keep your desktop clean, clear of folders and files, and use menu's.
The first thing I noticed about the cell-phone look desktops is they are nothing but clutter.

I'm sure it can be changed around, but the few times I tried Gnome 3, I gave up after a few days and reverted to Gnome Classic, which still has the Gnome 3 features, and very little of the great Gnome 2 features.

I'm not after the latest and greatest, I just want something that works and works right, with the least amount of steps and hassle.
This is why I gave up on both Ubuntu and Mint, and stick with the behind the times Debian. I prefer being behind the times, hi hi...

TTUL
Gary
yogi

Post by yogi »

As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since the old technology suits your needs and the new does not, there is no reason to make any changes. Software developers, however, never stand still. It's always a work in progress.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

While fooling around running tests, I was looking at the software for my modem.
The program that runs the modem is Open Source and they provide the C++ code used, not that I understand one iota of it.
I also found service technicians settings, which naturally I did not mess with. But it was interesting reading each of the settings. Some are pretty straightforward on what they do or don't do.
They must use the same program for modems equipped with wifi, because many lines referring to same show 'not supported.' Some units must also have USB ports you can connect to, as it had lines for those too.
One of my Routers had USB ports, in fact, it is what I plugged the back-up for the NAS into, before the lightning fried its guts out.

I've been sending Windoze users over to Ubuntu to get their feet wet. They seem to like the fact it works like their cell-phone. I guess because they are familiar with the layout. I couldn't get Ubuntu to do what I wanted, even in Fallback mode. The features were just not there to use, nor were the in Synaptic to get. I try not to use things not packaged for the OS, because when I do, it always seems to break something, hi hi...

Have a great weekend Yogi!