Chrome 55

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Chrome 55

Post by yogi »

The next update to Google Chrome (55) will default to HTML5 in lieu of Adobe Flash Player. Well, not entirely. The top ten sites will still have Flash available as will any site that is Flash only. "If users go to a site without the HTML5 content player, Flash content will not load and users will have to enable it manually" according to the article. This leads me to believe Flash is simply not going to the be default player but will still be available to the brave who choose to use it. Hwever, Adobe, the inventor of Flash Player, is no longer supporting it. I'm seeing fewer and fewer web sites denying me content due to my lack of Flash Player being installed. Now, if I can only get those ad sites to take the same stand. :grin:

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/12/10/ ... -chrome-55
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Chrome 55

Post by Kellemora »

Although a new version of Flash Player comes out every couple of months, and Pepper Flash follows in suit.
I'm still running the last known fully functional version of Pepper Flash, the March 12, 2015 release.
ALL (that's 100%) of any version of Flash Player, has important features removed.

I'm glad to see more website moving to HTML5's video, but unfortunately, there are hundreds of games out there built on the Flash Player parameters, and they do not work, nor can they be converted to work on HTML5.

There is something new out there, I forget the name of it, I've run across it several times.
I think a couple of things posted on here in fact. I had to hunt down what it was to turn it on to see the content.
But because it is an untrusted player, I keep it blocked.
yogi

Re: Chrome 55

Post by yogi »

The only unusual thing we do here is use Java, which is not javascript that is embedded in HTML. The authorization for certain Java programs is on a remote server which you must inform of your choices. Once you set them it should not bother you again. Then again, I don't know of anything in our actual forums that require Java, but there are some scripts on our homepage that might.

The last Flash update for my Linux boxes would not install. I'm not sure who is doing the updates because Adobe explicitly abandoned Linux support quite a while ago. Google has it's own ideas, but as the article in this thread suggests it will default to HTML5 and make you configure Flash manually until further notice.