Daemon mail

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Icey

Daemon mail

Post by Icey »

I got this come through from mailer-daemon@corpmx. It said Mail Delivery Subsystem - Returned Mail. See transcript for details - No message collected.

I typed the address into google and went onto a PC help page. I got this:

"Software in a mail server that delivers messages to recipients. When you get a MAILER-DAEMON@whatevercompany.com message in your inbox, the server at that company is informing you that it is returning your message because of some failure. The "to" e-mail address may no longer be valid, or there may be a problem routing the message to the appropriate mail server. Your domain name may be on a blacklist, and the server is refusing all incoming messages from it. See blacklist.

Chances are also good that you never sent the message in the first place. Your e-mail address could have easily been copied by a worm from someone else's address book and used as a "from" address without your knowledge."

:eek: Have I got an email virus?
yogi

Re: Daemon mail

Post by yogi »

All e-mail received or sent is routed through at least one server (computer) which is designed for the purpose of routing messages. These servers are unattended, but they do communicate with their users. They deliver e-mail, for one, and on some occasions they tell you about problems they detected. The software that warns you about problems is called a daemon.

In your situation an e-mail was sent that could not be delivered. I can't tell if your e-mail server sent the message, the recipient's server sent it, or if it was some server in between the two. You will have to read the message itself to find out where it failed and what is the reason for the failure. 99.99% of the time reading that message from the e-mail server daemon is safe. It contains a plain text version of the original message that was sent and any error codes that the server detected. Most of the time it will tell you in plain English why the mail could not be delivered.

You want to know all the above. Reading the original message quoted by the daemon will reveal if you sent it or not. If you do not recognize the message, the standard precautions against unsolicited mail should be taken, i.e., don't click any links and don't open any enclosures therein. Most likely some malware somewhere obtained your e-mail address and is using your identity to spam other people. While this spam is obnoxious for the people who receive it, it's relatively benign for you. It's merely using your legitimate credentials for messages it is sending elsewhere. Your email server will notify you of any undeliverables messages the spam bot sent on your behalf.

I don't think the mail daemon is an indication of a computer infection on your system. I think your identity was stolen from somebody's computer where your e-mail address is stored in their contacts list. Just to be safe, scan your own computer after you made the latest updates to your antivirus software. If you did not send the rejected message, change your password immediately so that future bots can't log into your account and send your friends junk mail.

AN ASIDE
Oddly enough, I received an e-mail this morning from somebody claiming to be Microsoft. They are warning me that my Outlook account will be suspended if I do not log in and verify my credentials. This is a very official looking message and is a phishing scheme. It tells me the bots are out there collecting e-mail account information from people who fall for the scheme. It is possible that either you or somebody you know got this kind of message and logged in to "verify" their account.
Icey

Re: Daemon mail

Post by Icey »

Thank you.