How To Be Safe And Secure

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

How To Be Safe And Secure

Post by yogi »

Most of the computer users I know, and that's just about everybody, want to turn on their device and simply have it work they way they expect. That's not an unreasonable demand, but in today's high tech digital world your life on the Internet cannot be that simple. We all know about the threats and successful hacks of large computers that store our personal and financial information on them. A lot of us have become resigned to that as fact of life. You have nothing to hide, so why bother protecting your personal device? I don't know if it's worth the bother for you. You will have to make your own case there.

About 95% of the time there is nothing to be concerned about. Go about your social networking, send a few e-mails, message you kids, read the news, and come to Brainformation. What could go wrong? Most of the 5% who do have problems are mostly careless, and none of us are like that. But 1% (my guess) will suffer losses due to things beyond their control. So, if you are feeling lucky today, carry on. There is nothing to see here. If you are interested in what it takes to secure your computer environment, read this article.

https://www.airsassociation.org/service ... ty-privacy
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: How To Be Safe And Secure

Post by Kellemora »

I keep no personal data on my computers, it is all stored (redundantly, hi hi) on external drives.
The computer I use for my accounting, and some other personal things does not even have a LAN card, so is not capable of getting on the Internet, or even on our local LAN.

Things I do need to submit on-line are transferred using an SD card, or by swapping an old external drive between computers.

Yes, I'm that paranoid about some of my data, hi hi...