No More Ransome

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

No More Ransome

Post by yogi »

The latest lethal malware these days takes your computer, locks it up, and/or encrypts all your files so that you cannot use them. Then they give you a certain amount of time to pay them in bitcoins. Both big corporations and lowly ol' web surfers are vulnerable, but there is some good news. Some people have figured out how to unlock certain forms of this extortion malware. And, they have some good ideas about how to prevent yourself from catching any in the first place. It's just one more tool you have available to protect yourself, or save yourself, from the bad guys. Hopefully you will never need it.

https://www.nomoreransom.org/
Icey

Re: No More Ransome

Post by Icey »

Thanks Yogi! Hope none of us fall foul of these people, but I wouldn't pay a single bitcoin to anyone, and personally don't know of anyone who would.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You would be surprised what people are willing to do to retrieve certain content from their computers. In some cases it's critically important not to lose it all.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh yes, I hear what you're saying, but I'd never give in to blackmail.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I agree with you entirely, and I've taken precautions to assure I can recover from ransomeware. However, some computers are not protected as well as mine. If you make a livelihood running a small business that depends on what was encrypted, you might take a different view of blackmail.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Not at all Yogi. I'm afraid blackmail's blackmail. All we can do is to do what you've done - or call their bluff, and basically say: "Here - take what you want. It won't do you much good!"
If you once give in to these people, what's to stop them coming back and demanding more?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

more than likely they would. :bleh:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Blackmailers are the slime of the earth and not to be trusted. Regardless, certain individuals and businesses would be fatally harmed by losing access to their computer files. I'm being proactive as much as I can be, but should my livelihood and very existence depend on whether I pay a ransom or not I might choose the less idealistic route and try to save my arse. It's better to be safe and wounded than to lose one's lifeline.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Wouldn't it just be easier to have a manual back-up of contacts, contracts, tax returns and anything else to do with business, as well as using electronic gadgetry? It doesn't take long to photocopy, file and keep records - especially if there's a danger of lethal malware affecting your files. Far better than giving in to extortion.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, I have some 6000 photos on loki, so... umm... (ought to prune some more)

meanwhile, I had backed up everything to discs at my house, had prints of my fledgling book. and it all burned down with the house, so again...

:realsad:
Icey

Post by Icey »

I suppose nothing's foolproof.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

except, usually, my 'safe places' where I stash things so i'll remember where they are....
Icey

Post by Icey »

:lol: LOL - I think we've all been there with that one.