countrywide wi-fi

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
pilvikki

countrywide wi-fi

Post by pilvikki »

what do you think of places where one has unlimited public access internet, like Estonia. or milan, or helsinki?
yogi

Re: countrywide wi-fi

Post by yogi »

I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean that the entire public population has unrestricted access to the Internet,
or,
does it mean those people in public places have unlimited access?

My first reaction is that nothing is truly free. Somebody is paying for that access to the Internet. If it's not a per access fee then it's service with a ton of advertisements blaring at you. The advertisers are paying the fee. Should it by chance be government provided, then the citizens are paying taxes. Or, it might be like Facebook, which is free for unlimited use ... if you don't mind them keeping detailed records of your activities there and selling that data to interested third parties. You are paying with your providing of personal information in that case.

If, on the other hand, there are public hot spots to which anyone can connect, then there are some restrictions. You have to be in the hot spot zone in order to get the access, for example. When just anybody can connect, then anybody does. You are using the free Internet along side of the hackers, criminals, and everyday good people too. Security tends to be a problem in those free public places so that it's a good idea to cleanse your computer right after you leave the free zone.

And ... free means that whoever IS paying is at the controls. They can filter what you are allowed to see and control the speed at which you can see it. The places you mention aren't particularly power hungry and controlling, but the private companies with political and other agendas might be. So, you see, I'm pretty skeptical all around. Free is good if it is in fact free and without restrictions, technical or otherwise.
pilvikki

Re: countrywide wi-fi

Post by pilvikki »

that's what I thought, too. it's really handy when you're travelling, but sure got me nervous.

so I looked up Helsinki and got this, which says exactly what you said:

http://qz.com/414061/helsinkis-free-cit ... -internet/