oz block?

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
pilvikki

oz block?

Post by pilvikki »

I used to have a problem with my oz friend not being able to view any pictures I sent her. then everything was ok, until she got her 'puter fixed and now she sees nothing again. I even sent her that website address on the arctic photos - and she couldn't even open that.

however, when she replies, my pictures come back to me no problem.

any ideas?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: oz block?

Post by Kellemora »

She may not have the proper viewer for seeing them.
Many of the viewers block formats of competing proprietary viewers or require a tracking cookie be turned on to view the content of a websites images.
I've hit this a few times myself, and one of the problems I encountered was, they didn't show what viewer or cookie was required. I stumbled across the required cookie by accident and allowed it to pass only while I was on that web page, then made sure it was turned off again.
But if you sent images via e-mail, she should have seen them without a problem, unless it they were sent via web-mail, then she would probably need the cookies turned on for that website.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's difficult to make a determination of what could possibly be causing your Oz Friend's problem because I don't have enough information about what is going on down under. How does she try to view the pictures? Does she download them? What software does she use when trying to look at the pictures? Does it work sometimes and not at other times? Does the format (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc) make any difference? Can you see pictures that she sends?

Obviously your friend has all that is needed to see the pictures given that she was able to view them at one time. It might be a good idea to question the people who "fixed" her computer to determine exactly what they did, and then reverse the process. Some software, such as certain e-mail programs, have the option to block viewing anything that is not embedded text. The problem could be simply a setting that needs to be tweaked in her software.

If it is in fact the e-mail software causing the problem, you might try an alternate method of sharing pictures. Something like Dropbox, or the equivalent cloud sharing in Apple, Google, or Microsoft (whichever she is using). If she can't see the pictures you put on the cloud, then her browser or e-mail program is less likely to be the problem.

Gary makes a good point about some very specific web sites not allowing everyone to view their content. It could be a matter of cookies not being accepted, but frequently entire countries will block content from certain domains for copyright reasons. Using something like a Tor browser would fix that particular problem, but it seems as if something else is going on.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

thanks, guys!

i'll send your replies - hopefully she'll get to read them...

:rolleyes:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Better yet, get her to join this forum. She can read it here. LOL