MS message

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
pilvikki

MS message

Post by pilvikki »

anyone else get one of these and do they actually mean anything? oh, it's a google translation.
You received this message because we update the Microsoft Services Agreement, that applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We perform these updates to clarify our requirements and ensure they remain transparent to you, and to cover products, additional Microsoft services and features.
The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of products and services online public Microsoft.

Here are some of the most notable changes to the Microsoft Services Agreement:
• Coverage for additional services (like GroupMe and Group Messaging) and new features for covered services (such as Skype, Bing and our rewards program)
• Clarification on the fact that your work or school account is covered by different conditions
• Notice that Xbox now requires you to login at least once every 5 years for your gamertag remains active
• An explanation of the data storage limits for onedrive and factors that may affect the timing and downloading services to onedrive

You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQ page here. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on 15 September 2016. If you continue to use our products and services 15 September 2016 or later, it means that you accept the Microsoft Services Agreement updated.
We are also updating the Microsoft Privacy Statement. These updates are described on our FAQ page here and take effect August 2, 2016.
If you do not accept these updates, you can choose not to use the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before the entry into force of these conditions. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for the use of services and Microsoft products for your child, including procurement.
Thank you to use Microsoft products and services.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: MS message

Post by Kellemora »

My computers are all under the Open Source GPL3 License, which basically means we can do anything we want, including modifying the code to suit our needs, and freely distribute the OS to anyone. There are some restrictions but they only apply to vendors trying to sell the free stuff for a profit, or using it in their own proprietary distributions.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The short answer is, yes. I received that letter on 23 July, and presume everyone using Windows 10 got a copy too. Perhaps all people using any Microsoft products were notified of the changes, but most of the new terms only apply to Windows 10.

The longer answer is ... I am often surprised when I hear about people who think they own the Windows software that is installed on their computer. They likely paid a price for the software, but that was only for the license to use it. Microsoft owns it. Unlike the Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Gary is using, Microsoft has a vested interest in keeping things uniform across the board. Thus they don't want you messing with the core product, plus they must tell you when they change the rules of their license agreement. Legally you have to agree to the new rules or your are not bound to follow them. Thus, as explained in the letter, your acceptance of the new terms of service is made extremely simply. Use the product, and you have accepted the new terms. Don't use the product if you don't agree with the changes.

The letter is a step beyond the legal requirements to which Microsoft is obligated, i.e., telling you when they change the terms of their license. Note that you no longer are using an operating system when you use Windows 10. You are, instead, subscribing to a Microsoft service. There are many reasons for Microsoft to have changed it's sales pitch, but it boils down to the fact that they changed the way they sell software. Going forward it will be a subscription and not a one time purchase. Also, when you buy their service, it will work across all platforms. You can use the same software on your X-Box, your laptop, your desktop, your tablet, your mobile phone, and anywhere else Microsoft has it's fingers. This is a marvelous approach as far as developers are concerned because now they only have to write one piece of software for all platforms.

What does it all mean to us peons who use Microsoft's services? It's all going to look the same as it did in the past with one caveat. At some point you will have to renew your subscription in order to continue using Microsoft Services. The old way was that you can use the software until the product or your computer died, regardless of any security issues. There still are people out there using Windows XP, for example. Going forward the service will stop unless you send money to Microsoft. That is in addition to any applications you may purchase which in essence are third party applets. I'm no fan of FOSS, but if the trend Microsoft is setting actually gains popularity (and there is no reason to believe it will not) then I too will be switching over to the chaos in the FOSS world of Linux. It may not be as uniform as Windows Services, but it is free. And that is the only reason it was invented.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

A number of years ago I said something to the effect that we will no longer install program software on our computers. What we will load is a small OS that allows us to access all the latest programs we subscribe to. Sorta like accessing tools on a website and saving your work there and a copy on your own computer.

The benefits of working this way would mean you always have access to the latest and greatest software, for a price of course.
It would also prevent some of the problems like have with data created on once new software which was upgraded several times, and I didn't buy the new software, so much of my data is not readable by the new versions.

The downside is you could not get any work done unless you were on-line to the programs hosting computers.
Because of this, and so many places you go to do your work, for those with portable computers, you won't be able to do anything until you can connect. Mobile connection fees can be quite expensive too.

Mickey$oft is struggling to regain an edge in the computing world. They are losing a whole lot of folks to MAC, and a few to Linux. With so much available on-line these days, most folks are already using what is available to them, rather than buying software they have to download and install.

Although I don't use it, one heck of a lot of writers use Scrivener. Because Scrivener works best on a MAC, when they do buy a new computer, they go with MAC because it best suits the main job they use it for.

Only out of curiosity, I added up how much it would cost for me to go back to Windows, and only with the programs I use normally, not the occasional programs I rarely use. The cost for me to move back to Windows, just for the software programs alone, came in at just a tad under six thousand dollars. Add to that the extra things I would need in a computer to make full use of the programs, and it kicks the price up to over eight thousand dollars.

At least with GNU/Linux I can use an older machine, and have more power with a Linux OS than I would with a Windows OS. And the best part of all, almost all the programs I use are free. I do have some proprietary programs, but they are lower in cost than most Windows versions of the same software, and in many cases, work better.

The frau has been using Windows10 now for quite some time, and to date, we have not got Windows10 to do what it should have done, and what her computer did with Windows8.1 before the downgrade to Windows10.
So, for anything considered serious work, we consider Windows10 incapable of the most simple of functions.
Even the frau is liking using Linux because it works, it's faster, and it's free.