A Monitor For Gary

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

A Monitor For Gary

Post by yogi »

I think you would find this multi-channel monitor useful. The price isn't that bad considering what you are getting and what you can eliminate from your complex of computers. :mrgreen:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/23/dell ... d-monitor/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: A Monitor For Gary

Post by Kellemora »

Sounds awesome Yogi!

I lost another computer last night during a power outage. It was an older one, but everything on it worked, so it is a loss.

I guess one of these days I'm going to have to cut my desktop larger so I can see a wide screen monitor inside the desk.
I have wide screen in there now, but run it in normal screen mode, else I can't see the whole screen.

A friend who saw my desk and liked it, but wanted it much wider, bought a glass top table and slid a couple of file cabinets under it, to have something to bolt the keyboard drawer to. Since the glass is not removable per se, he has to crawl underneath to clean the glass. My glass lifts out to clean the glass on both sides and the monitor screen. Cobwebs can hide everywhere else.

You wouldn't be getting close to replacing another computer yet would you? I love the SilverYogi, even though I never got the graphics card working, and found it won't work in anything else I own, as the card requires a special power supply. I don't really do anything which requires such a fancy graphics card so no complaints.

Have a great day Yogi!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Gary
If I recall correctly that video card will run off a 400W PS, but you are correct about the cabling. At the time I was first installing it I discovered that there are cable adapters that will split the normal feed into the two that the nVidia card is looking for. Thus it might just be a matter of ordering the right cable for your existing power supply. I'm pretty sure you don't have a "need" for all that GPU power, but it's like that extra RAM. You may not know you want it until you try it out.

Regarding the Dell monitor I didn't think it would fit under your desk. I was thinking you might be willing to give up some desktop space if you can see four screens without using a KVM switch. Of course the switch is a bit cheaper than the monitor but you may be able to cut down on hardware requirements significantly.

Funny you should ask about me upgrading my computer ... I was in fact giving it some serious thought. I think of you and the Silver Yogi at times because this beast I'm using has some wonderful features I know you would love. For one it has a slot on the top of the box into which you can plug any SATA HDD. I'm sure SSD's would also be accommodated. I've used this feature a few times when rummaging through some hard drives I stored and forgot what is on them. If the drive is bootable, you can do it from this external slot. It's also handy for loading up disks with images. Just plug and play so to speak, then install the newly imaged disk anywhere you want it. It also came in handy one day to retrieve files from a long gone dismantled laptop. I never knew I wanted one of these external HDD slots until I had one.

Anyway, the tower I have is awesome. If you liked the Silver box, this black box will take your breath away. It's a gamer's dream and way more than I really need, although I did buy a game that puts it to the test. The BIOS is crazy and can do anything you never knew you wanted to do, including overclock the processor. I never tried that because the 4GHz 4 core (8 threads) Intel chip is fast enough. I can boot Windows 7 in about ten seconds from a cold start. Some of my Linux VM's will boot in two or three seconds. I have a couple drives dedicated to Linux, but for one reason or another they don't boot any faster than expected. I have a feeling it's something in UEFI because the motherboard is optimized for Windows. In fact the manufacturer doesn't support Linux installations on this MB. Of course that didn't stop me from doing it.

There is also an M.2 plug on the motherboard which is used for direct access to the PCI bus by an SSD card (SATA being optional). I've not tried that yet simply because I didn't know it was available until after I put my boot up SSD into one of the SATA ports. When that drive needs replacement, I will be using M.2 to see if I can boot Windows from the PCI bus in under that 10 second benchmark. :lol:

There are bigger and better processors and video cards now, and I have the urge to build a new machine if I had the right incentive. We are in the process of moving and I don't expect to be settled in a new house until Fall - possibly later. Once the new home gets set up, I'm sure I'll be in the mood to move on up to whatever is current at the time. So, yes, I may indeed be looking for a happy home to which I can send this super computer. Watch this space for updates as they develop.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I took the SilverYogi into the shop, only to confirm the bus the GPU plugged into was damaged, and they don't fix those kinds of problems, so I just brought it back home.

Other than making a few book covers, and playing Farm Town, I don't really do one heck of a lot that requires such a fancy GPU card. However, you made me a believer on having more RAM. Even though the swap file was never used, even with only 2 gigs of RAM, and I saw not much difference when I took 2 gigs out of a 4 gig machine to make a second computer. After using your Silver Yogi, I upped the memory in my second oldest computer to 8 gigs and it started to fly much faster also. I think it must use the excess memory as a cache somehow. I don't know much about under the hood in these fandangled computin' contraptions, hi hi...

I'll keep an eye out for the next time you have something to move!

Thank You!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I still feel disappointed that the silver Yogi arrived damaged. I suppose fixing it would depend on exactly what the problem is. My guess would be that one or some of the traces on the circuit board have been open circuited. It's simple to solder over and connect them if you know where they are. Good luck with that.

You and I share the same kind of amazement when it comes to RAM and SWAP space. I don't know that I've ever seen swap actively in use when I look at the Linux resource monitor. Yet, they insist on creating a large enough swap space when the OS is being installed. Windows has page files that are more or less managed by the OS, but the size there can be overridden. I've experimented in the past with zero vs 50% of my disk space for page files. Windows seems to act the same either way. The only benefit of zeroing out the page file memory space is that when it's created again it is contiguous and generally in an unused portion of the hard drive. So it's useful for moving it around. Then again, physical location is meaningless on SSD's so I just let the OS work things out.

RAM is a bit more straight forward than SWAP or page files. At least I can monitor how much RAM is committed and actually being used. It does vary from time to time, but not by much. Plus, I've only seen it max out on rare occasion when FireFox went cuckoo. I have 16MB RAM in the current system but seldom see more than 5GB in use. That means 2MB or 4MB would not be enough. I discovered the beauty of RAM disk space, which is dedicating a part of RAM to virtual disk space. The advantage of doing that is the bus speed between RAM and the processor is the fastest of any on the motherboard. Anything done out of RAM disk is at least a magnitude of speed faster. I dedicated 5GB of the 16 to RAM disk, meaning only 11GB is now available to the processor. I have yet to detect any effect on performance.

So, like yourself, I don't know what is going on in RAM, but I do know things slow down when you don't have enough of it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

On this older computer with 4 gigs of RAM, it shows 12% in use for programs, 37% in use as cache.
Naturally this changes depending on what I'm doing, and if it needs more RAM for programs, it takes it from the part used as Cache. I have 8gigs set aside for swap space, but it has never been used at all.

Sad, but I used to be a chip level repairman on multi-CPU circuit boards. Then after I had one of my epilepsy attacks, I couldn't even fix an analog power supply if my life depended on it. I totally lost everything about working on electronics, other than some simple basic stuff. I also don't have the tools I had back then either, like needlepoint soldering equipment, etc.
I'm being honest when I say I can't even install RAM myself anymore. Never seems to work for me. At least I have a super cheap computer repair place that does a lot for me, often at no charge.
Same place that builds computers for me for what was traditionally 300 bucks each, but now around 400 because they need more RAM, and materials have gone up too.
The GPU from the SilverYogi will be used in the next computer I take to them to put a new mobo and power supply in.
I normally have to buy a new CPU if they replace the mobo. Depends on what I use the computer for.
I have one the video went out, they stuck a video card in, then the LAN went out, so we added a LAN card, now it went out too. So it's time for a new mobo for sure.

I probably should buy a better quality mobo, because the past few computers that went south was because the capacitors swelled up. I never had this happen on the better mobo's. When I'm rebuilding an old computer for simple use, I opted for a 65 instead of an 85 buck mobo, because it would use my old CPU and everything else in the box.
But for my daily work, when this one dies, I'll use the SilverYogi for my daily work and perhaps something better for my game playing and doing graphics work. Hard to get too fancy about anything when you only make 700 bucks a month, and most of that goes to taxes, insurance, doctors, and medicines.

Have a great day Yogi!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I feel your pain over limited resources. One big reason we are leaving the Chicago area is that the taxes are outpacing the income. We depend on the SSA and the stock market to survive and neither one of them are user friendly.

It's hard to see how you can get a computer built for $400. Then again, I've never tried to build one less than state of the art. The one I built and am using today is scaled down from the best that was available at the time but the RAM, processor, special cooling fan, power supply, by themselves brought it to over $400. Then there is the video card, and assortment of disk drives, and the cabinet with cables to put it all in. I'm sure I could have built it for half the price using standard components, but it still would be in excess of that $400 benchmark.

Motherboards are speced out to accommodate certain processors. That limits what you can use right there. The processor in turn can only handle certain types of memory which further leads you down a specific path. The bus structure and available expansion slots on the mobo determines what accessories you can plug into it. That means picking any one of the components would lead to a specific set of others to match it. Compatibility is all spelled out on the spec sheets so that it's critical to be able to interpret them. My ROG (Republic of Games) computer is amazing, but probably only middle tier for most gamers. And, of course, gaming keyboards and mouses are required if you want the really high performance. I won't even get into the choices surrounding displays. If you can get your shop to make computers for $400, then you are doing exceptionally well. I can't even get parts for that price.

My 36 years at Motorola consisted of about 25 of them as a production line technician and engineering lab technician. I got lots of experience at component level troubleshooting and circuit board repair. It got complicated when multi-layer boards came about and embedded components within those layers. But, swapping out a 120 pin surface mount processor was a no-brainer if you had the right equipment. I'd not do any of that today because I don't have the patience or eyesight, not to mention the right tools. I paid my dues and all I want now are systems that do what I expect them to do. If they break, they get replaced. Not repaired. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, prices are going up!

The computer I'm on right now, has an Asus F2A85-M2 mobo and AMD A4-6320 4.0 ghz Dual Core CPU, I upped it from 4 gigs to 8 gigs RAM, only because I had a matching 4 gig RAM bar from a dead computer. It was 384 bucks, using an old DVD, and the put in a new 500 gig SATA HD because they couldn't use my existing HDs.
Mobo was 85 bucks, the HD 90 bucks, a new case w/ 600 watt power supply like 49 bucks, 120 bucks for the CPU 40 bucks for the RAM. With tax it was under 425 bucks.

My next oldest, which now has no functioning LAN or Sound thanks to a lightning storm, has an Asus M2N68-AM mobo, AMD Athlon XII 250 3.6 ghz Dual Core, 4 gigs RAM. It has two of the old style 500 gig HDs taken from other dead machines. I liked this particular computer because it had the multi-SD card and two DVD drives, plus some other features. The case was from an old Compaq computer I had purchased for the frau.
This particular mobo was only 65 bucks, CPU about the same price if I recall, memory was the same price also.
They put this one together for me, actually for only like 250 bucks, it would have been 300 if I got a new case and power supply.

The M2N68-AM mobo's seem to have capacitor problems, which is why they go bad so quick, and why I went up to the F2A85-M2 for the last computer I had built for me.

I normally get a new case when I buy a computer, because they always need a larger power supply. If you buy a new power supply for an old case, taking out the old power supply and installing a new one, often ends up costing more than just buying a new case with a power supply. Also it usually has better USB ports and other things.

We have two different computer repair shops here who build computers. One is expensive, one is super cheap, and prices everything by the components. The expensive guy gives you a flat price, usually based on what little he has in stock.
The cheaper guy is the best, because he maintains a huge inventory, and you have many options. All the way from 65 to 250 dollar mobo's, maybe even some higher. Same way with the CPUs, everything from 100 bucks up to 600 bucks if not more.
If they put the computer together for you, he often only charges 5% over the price of the components, unless they have to swap out things from an older computer for you, then he charges 35 bucks plus adds 10% to the component parts you bought.

If I need a computer fixed, he charges 35 bucks to look it over, if he does the repairs, or waives the fee if you buy a new computer instead, and does not charge to swap over the parts or use your old case.
The other expensive guy charges 125 bucks to look at a computer, then whatever it costs to fix it.
Needless to say, I don't go to him too often. Also, the cheap guy does Linux, the expensive guy is technically a Windows only Laptop repair shop, but will build a machine with errors in the assembly. I know, I had to take one he built back, because he had the wrong mobo in it. I asked him to build a box to use with Linux, and the mobo he used was strictly a Windows Only mobo. The way he prices his work, and computer by the box, it is very easy for him to rip folks off. He bases his price on Intel CPUs and uses much cheaper AMD CPUs for the same price. Not a good way to do business if you ask me.

I would venture to guess, at today's prices, getting a new built computer for my needs will run around 600 bucks.
My step-son would need a built computer in the 1,500 dollar range, because he's an on-line gamer. And also uses those fancy gaming keyboards you mentioned. I do know he paid over 2,000 dollars for the computer he has now, but that was mainly because of where he purchased it. A computer store who specializes in gaming computers, and of course, he had to have the best they had at the time, hi hi...
I don't need that kind of power for what I use a computer for. Your SilverYogi is the fastest and fanciest computer I've ever owned, and it has spoiled me big time. So much so I upped the memory in this computer, and will probably get 16 gigs in the next computer I buy.
However, I think I'm going to have to get the frau a better computer. I made the mistake of buying an off-the-shelf computer for her from Walmart. Although the specs for it showed it had what I wanted for her, it must have a really slow mobo, because it is slower than her old computer which had half the specs. I don't have the paperwork here to give you the specs, but they were higher than this computer on what they tell you about it. It was cheap because it is not upgradable. No extra slots for anything. You can't even add another hard drive or more memory. It does have 8 gigs of RAM, and a quad core CPU, but running Windows 10 it is as slow as molasses in the dead of winter. Her old 4 gig machine with single core CPU ran much faster. I think it ran faster with Win8.1 than it does with Win10, but we only used it long enough to set it up before it installed Win10 on it, and then everything quit working, unless I pay 199 bucks to upgrade to Win10Pro, which we will not do. Leastwise on that machine. I think it would more wise to buy her a new built up computer, even a low end model, which I will get later as a hand me down, hi hi...

OK, I've rambled on long enough!
Have a great day Yogi!