Adaptive Advertising (again)

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Adaptive Advertising (again)

Post by Kellemora »

I've used grep for a couple of things related to finding files in the OS itself, but that's about it, and only from commands I had to do to fix something I messed up, hi hi.

I took a look at my older computer to see if it was in there with no luck, it had to be on the computer that died previous to the last one, or maybe even the one before that.

I have so many bookmarks on this machine already, it takes Google forever to load the icons for all of them.
I have a hunch, instead of storing them, it goes out to each website to fetch a new one. Considering how long it takes for all of them to load.
I can still click on a bookmark link and it works, long before they show the icon.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Those bookmark icons are called favicons and are indeed stored on the server hosting the website. I made a few for this website, but they don't show up any more. Maybe they got wiped off the server during one of my attempts to upgrade the software here. Once the favicons are read, and they are not always read, they do seem to be stored locally. Thus you are most likely correct about your computer having to fetch them if they don't already exist in cache somewhere.

When I had a need for grep I didn't know a thing about it. My supervisor wrote a command line and told me what I could change to get different results. I guess I had somewhat of an advantage in that the man pages didn't intimidate me once I learned how to read them. In fact it was kind of fun trying out various options for commands just to see what they would do. I rarely crashed the system doing that, but it is possible. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I had a brain freeze and couldn't remember what they were called. I have favicons on my websites.
I don't delete my cache, but Google Chrome does go out and fetch them from somewhere. It could be from my own computer, but they are slow at getting them all up.

I don't remember what I was doing where I had to use grep, it was just in a command, probably to see what version of the OS I was running, or something I needed to know about my computer.
Been so long since I've done any command line stuff, other than running update and upgrade, and the line I use several times a day to get the time plus so many hours which is in memory in the terminal.

I used an older computer with nothing on it other than Linux while playing around trying to learn BASH.
Mostly I was interested in single line things I could type in.
But did have a few files I saved for Bash. Don't remember what they did anymore, but having the .sh file saved me from typing in the long string.
Even when I thought I had what I wanted to do written correctly, and it appeared I did, but when I ran it, it would crash my computer. Sometimes this was because I forgot a single space between something or added a space where it should not have been. I was used to basic commands like cd.. would back you up a directory. Don't work like that in Linux.

Too busy to relearn all this stuff, have work to do, so I had better get on with it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's the problem when messing around with shell programing. You better know what you're doing or be prepared to reboot/reinstall your system a few times. I agree that it's a lot to learn and that higher level languages make it all so much easier. When you have actual work you need to get done with your computer, you don't want or need to learn about the innards of the kernel.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I agree, no time to learn it anyhow, and if I don't use it everyday, I would forget what I learned anyhow.